Steven Jyles released...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It is not a surprise. He has not achieved much where ever he has been despite some promise.

I think of the Trestman comments on Tebow from before and wonder if both of these QBs would have any chance if they had the right QB coach and OC.

Jyles had shown promise but little more.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

He has had a ton of chances.

At some point potential has to turn into production, or else ...

He's made some good bucks along the way. Can't imagine that he gets any more QB gigs.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

So who is left from the Ricky Ray trade ?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:So who is left from the Ricky Ray trade ?
Net effect now is Ray and Jabar Westerman (2nd overall draft pick acquired from Argos and swapped to BC) for P/K Grant Shaw, OL Austin Paztor (4th overall pick from BC), DL Justin Capicciotti (14th pick from BC) and LS Ryan King (38th pick from BC). Shaw of course is the Eskimo placekicker and handled punting duties after Burke Dales was injured. Paztor is trying his hand in the NFL and after spending most of the season on the PR he started the final 3 games of the regular season for Jacksonville. Capicciotti and King spent the season with the Esks. Capicciotti bounced between injured list, reserve list and roster. He wound up playing 10 games and started 1.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
OV - 54:40
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:He has had a ton of chances.

He's made some good bucks along the way. Can't imagine that he gets any more QB gigs.

Jyles is IMO one of the worst CFL QBs - who got repeated chances to play, on several teams - that the CFL has seen in decades; just horrible; but - good for him for "earning" all that CFL roster time and making some decent bucks; he could well get another CFL shot - from some dumb team that is desperate and clueless in their ability to sign and assess QBs.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

OV - 54:40 wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:He has had a ton of chances.

Jyles is IMO one of the worst CFL QBs - who got repeated chances to play, on several teams - that the CFL has seen in decades; just horrible; but - good for him for "earning" all that CFL roster time and making some decent bucks; he could well get another CFL shot - from some dumb team that is desperate and clueless in their ability to sign and assess QBs.
The fact the Argos and Esks both saw him as a possible 'fix' for situations they were in puzzled me too. Cleo Lemon did not look good but it was laughable, IMO, to suddenly think the Argos would dramatically shift successfully with Jyles under centre instead of Lemon. DDurant in Riderville certainly appreciated him as a colleague. Certainly will be interesting to see who goes where in a lot of these CFL cities....... I think Jyles will be back, just not as a starter.
joe kapp22
Legend

Strikes me as a guy who would make a good backup Qb somewhere.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Rammer
Team Captain

joe kapp22 wrote:Strikes me as a guy who would make a good backup Qb somewhere.
Yes as long as it isn't in BC. :)
Entertainment value = an all time low
JohnHenry
Champion

Jyles was traded 3 consecutive seasons with the OC's in Edm, Tor and Wpg doing him little favour. I wonder how many OC's he's played under in his 7-yr career? He had pretty good numbers in Wpg despite his OC, then hurt his shoulder which set him back. Jyles throws a beautiful ball and is very mobile. I'd bet with proper coaching in B.C. they could mold him into a good QB. If the price was right, the Lions might be smart to pick him up as backup. With Reilly leaving are we comfortable with Thomas DeMarco at No. 2?

:roar:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:Jyles was traded 3 consecutive seasons with the OC's in Edm, Tor and Wpg doing him little favour. I wonder how many OC's he's played under in his 7-yr career? He had pretty good numbers in Wpg despite his OC, then hurt his shoulder which set him back. Jyles throws a beautiful ball and is very mobile. I'd bet with proper coaching in B.C. they could mold him into a good QB. If the price was right, the Lions might be smart to pick him up as backup. With Reilly leaving are we comfortable with Thomas DeMarco at No. 2?

With DeMarco's measurables, I'm sure he could fill anyone's shoes.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
South Pender
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:Jyles was traded 3 consecutive seasons with the OC's in Edm, Tor and Wpg doing him little favour. I wonder how many OC's he's played under in his 7-yr career? He had pretty good numbers in Wpg despite his OC, then hurt his shoulder which set him back. Jyles throws a beautiful ball and is very mobile. I'd bet with proper coaching in B.C. they could mold him into a good QB. If the price was right, the Lions might be smart to pick him up as backup. With Reilly leaving are we comfortable with Thomas DeMarco at No. 2?

With DeMarco's measurables, I'm sure he could fill anyone's shoes.
LOL. Excellent! :beauty:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnHenry wrote: Jyles throws a beautiful ball and is very mobile. I'd bet with proper coaching in B.C. they could mold him into a good QB.
Not the first guy to possess the tools but lack the tool box and Buono isn't interested in investing a nickel in trying to build Jyles a tool box.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
JohnHenry
Champion

Not many options left for QB's. Porter signed in Mtl and McPherson has been released to sign in Edm. That leaves Mike Reilly for Wpg, who will probably offer him peanuts (like they did with Buck). Mike could still end up back with the Lions.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
JohnHenry wrote: Jyles throws a beautiful ball and is very mobile. I'd bet with proper coaching in B.C. they could mold him into a good QB.
Not the first guy to possess the tools but lack the tool box and Buono isn't interested in investing a nickel in trying to build Jyles a tool box.
Not one to suggest that Jyles would be a good signing but this discussion reminded me of the line I read on Porter to MTL and how he is not the first washed up HAM QB to be signed by Jim Popp. That last guy has worked out so well that Marc Trestman said as his presser that he'd not be the HC of the Bears if not for Anthony Cavillo.

There is an element of truth in the right OC and QB coach for the right QB and how that marriage as Trestman says is the most critical in football.

Tebow - could he work with the right system and OC.

Pierce - could he stay healthy and not banged up if he had a coach like Trestman who says his job is to ensure the QB gets protection. We all know that AC is not the QB he is usually when he starts getting hits. I've seen him very ordinary at BC Place when the Lions got to him and he was not being protected.

Could Jyles be a success if he had an OC that designed plays and game plans that he could have success with? I don't know. I honestly think the Esks then GM believed that Marcus Crandell (then new OC wonder who was getting accolades for his offense from all over) could make him the QB that Trestman now with the Bears is saying he can do with Jay Cutler.

Porter with MTL. Popp is saying some very positive things but again it depends on who the coaches are.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy