GC100 TV Numbers

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

bc49
Hall of Famer

The good news is that 5.8-million viewers on TSN-RDS tuned in to watch the 100th edition.
The bad news is that 5.8 million viewers on TSN-RDS tuned in to watch the 100th edition.
But seriously folks that is an ass-kicking number, up 28% from the 99th Grey Cup.
It is a record for English viewership in the 4 years since the new ratings measurement system from BBM Canada took effect.
The record viewership (6.1 million) for a combined TSN-RDS championship was in 2009 when Montreal played Sask.

Unlike last year the GC game was not streamed live on TSN.CA
That live stream brought in fat numbers so I am surprised they did not stream it live again. I suspect the revenue numbers for a live stream fell short of expectations - as compared to say mobile viewing on subscription devices.

Don't look now but university football is showing signs of catching on. The Vanier brought in 910,000 viewers on TSN and RDS. It wasn't the greatest game in CIS history but it was far and away the most watched. And with 37,098 @ the Skydome it was the most attended.
Not sure where the Vanier is to be played next year. I am 100% for having the game as part of GC week - just not next year in Regina where infrastructure is inadequate for the GC nevermind the GC/VC
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The last couple of years the Vanier Cup was played in the host city of the Grey Cup ? If this holds true, next year it will be played in Regina
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

bc49 wrote:The good news is that 5.8-million viewers on TSN-RDS tuned in to watch the 100th edition.
The bad news is that 5.8 million viewers on TSN-RDS tuned in to watch the 100th edition.
But seriously folks that is an ass-kicking number, up 28% from the 99th Grey Cup.
It is a record for English viewership in the 4 years since the new ratings measurement system from BBM Canada took effect.
The record viewership (6.1 million) for a combined TSN-RDS championship was in 2009 when Montreal played Sask.

That live stream brought in fat numbers so I am surprised they did not stream it live again. I suspect the revenue numbers for a live stream fell short of expectations - as compared to say mobile viewing on subscription devices.

Don't look now but university football is showing signs of catching on. The Vanier brought in 910,000 viewers on TSN and RDS. It wasn't the greatest game in CIS history but it was far and away the most watched. And with 37,098 @ the Skydome it was the most attended.
Not sure where the Vanier is to be played next year. I am 100% for having the game as part of GC week - just not next year in Regina where infrastructure is inadequate for the GC nevermind the GC/VC

Could you be more specific? Not enough hotels, bars, enthusiastic CFL fans or what?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
bc49 wrote:The good news is that 5.8-million viewers on TSN-RDS tuned in to watch the 100th edition.

Could you be more specific? Not enough hotels, bars, enthusiastic CFL fans or what?
I think he means hotel space. Someone in the Regina media tweeted yesterday that there are only less than 3500 hotel rooms in the whole city. I had friends who went there for the last GC (2003) who couldn't find anything and had to stay with other friends who live outside the city.

Speaking of GC in Regina next year, I see they haven't bumped it up a week as they've done in the past on account of their late Nov Agribition trade show. This time around it'll be the trade show that gets bumped up.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I watched the Grey Cup at sea near Cancun on ESPN2 International. It was great that the broadcast was so accessible to the international audience.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I watched the Grey Cup at sea near Cancun on ESPN2 International. It was great that the broadcast was so accessible to the international audience.
That is not exactly "international." ESPN cover sucks but better than nothing.

I could not even pay to get the games from TSN overseas in Hong Kong and from game streamers I know others from Taiwan and Germany who had issues there too and they try to stop those who stream the games.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
ziggy
Legend

I'm surprised that games are so hard to get with modern technology. Used to be a pretty big contingent of Canadians in Hong Kong, is it still the same Toppy?
joe kapp22
Legend

Suspect the size of the Ontario market played a role in the numbers.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

ziggy wrote:I'm surprised that games are so hard to get with modern technology. Used to be a pretty big contingent of Canadians in Hong Kong, is it still the same Toppy?
Ah you mentioned the magic word, "technology." Therein may be my problem. It has to be plug and play or I'm not great at that stuff.

Yes, many Canadians but not sure how many just wait on the GC game and watch the bar repeat in the evening. This game was about 7or 8 am in HK so I was able to get it online but that is always subject to the streamer able to keep his game on.

Locals are more into the NBA, soccer, rugby and flood the bars for the Eng. Prem League. I did watch the Olympic hockey final game with tons of Canadian - Chinese in the bar at 4 am. Not sure how many Chinese here are into football. That is all due to the marketing and of course some of the history. NBA, EPL and other soccer clubs tour this region off season.

I tried two seasons ago to pay at TSN a few times and their provider just gave me the money back as it just didn't work and they said I was doing it right.
ziggy
Legend

I was thinking more on the lines of Sat TV. I guess it has to be tuned to the correct satellite though,but that shouldn't be a problem? I know we used it on ships to tune into the local news, sporting events etc for the crews . The advent of GPS made signals even while underway pretty reliable.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:Could you be more specific? Not enough hotels, bars, enthusiastic CFL fans or what?
Definitely all about hotel space. For past Grey Cups Regina has put together the ol' small town community college try. They get people to offer to billet out Grey Cup fans. They create an campground with space for probably 150 to 200 RVs to take some of the pressure off rooms. A lot of Saskatchewan folks seem to think out-of-towners should consider staying in Moose Jaw too. A Vanier Cup would likely take mean demand for an additional 400 rooms on top of Grey Cup demands. Regina is probably at least 500 rooms short of what would be deemed adequate for Grey Cup demand, never mind adding Vanier. What I could see happening is Regina hosting the GC while the Vanier Cup is played up the road in Saskatoon.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

ziggy wrote:I was thinking more on the lines of Sat TV. I guess it has to be tuned to the correct satellite though,but that shouldn't be a problem? I know we used it on ships to tune into the local news, sporting events etc for the crews . The advent of GPS made signals even while underway pretty reliable.
I have yet to find local Chinese CFL football fans but other sports are all over the bars here. Friday night football is early Saturday morning here which is fine for those who want to get up early at 7 am or so.

There was one poster here in South Korea and he had a friend in Canada who helped with a sling box.

This year I watched live so didn't go the one bar I knew where there'd be a small crowd who would watch the GC game on a re-run. They didn't know the results as they simply didn't look it up. I knew the results. This small bar plays Canadian hockey a lot.

The numbers if they could add the rest of the world would be even better if they can get the game out.