Reilly or McPherson: Best Candidate for Starting QB?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Reilly for sure, IMO and no its not my oranged tinted glasses. I have seen AMc a few times and hes looked average, IMO. If Reilly's body of work was that one awful game in Calgary, okay maybe Adrian gets the nod. But, I think there were lots of things wrong with that game (that perhaps carried over into the WF) that were not Reilly's fault, per se. I think Jyles is a good idea of what I'm getting at. Lots of years now in the league but no way he's starting, IMO. I'm not sure who will fill the Aloettes QB sheet but if AC is not heading that list, I think they need to find someone other than McPherson............
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

McPherson seems to be a career backup. Will never be a starter.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

notahomer wrote: If Reilly's body of work was that one awful game in Calgary, okay maybe Adrian gets the nod. But, I think there were lots of things wrong with that game (that perhaps carried over into the WF) that were not Reilly's fault, per se. .
Tough to figure out what went on with that one. The whole offence was out of sync in the first 20+ minutes. Nobody seemed to have their head in the game with frequent mental errors. Pick up 5 yards then somebody a receiver jumps the gun or Valli or another OL false starts. Seemed like Reilly was forever looking at a 2nd and 10 or more when the previous play had left a 2nd and 5 situation. If I was somebody in the market for a new starting QB it was the way he battled through that game that I'd take back. While Rome was burning he wasn't wasting his time playing the fiddle. A lot of younger relatively inexperienced QBs would've crumbled under that scenario. Reilly continued to battle through it an played quite well after the initial onslaught. In some ways it reminded me of Lulay the first few times I watched him. For Lulay as soon as the previous play was over he'd bounce right up and immediately look for Chap as in OK that play is over, that's behind me, next play Coach. What do you want? Reilly has shown me that same trait. As little CFL experience as he has so far he seems to always display a veteran's comportment. He doesn't look like one who gets rattled.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Reilly's body of work is 1 good start. Both Brink and Elliott have had better games than his 1 start. I don't get why Reilly is considered that hot a prospect over our guys. The Lions were close to cutting Reilly in TC until he had a good ex game performance. His mechanics are awful but he's had the fortune of playing on a good team overall. He's shown some talent.

How would Elliott looked in Vancouver as the back up or Reilly in Winnipeg? Nobody knows with certainty.

I don't agree any Qb with 2 starts qualifies for a shot at # 1 anymore than any other QB.

At the beginning of TC posters in Winnipeg thought both Elliott and Brink were good enough to start in other CFL cities. Now they aren't even sure if they want them in Winnipeg as back ups/

Are any of McPherson, Elliott, Brink or Reilly good enough to start in 2013?

I don't know but each of those guys has shown something that has impressed some fans in some cities.

There might be some opportunites for these guys. I think Jyles, Joseph and J Jackson may have seen their last CFL season. Depending on what AC decides we'll see some QB movement for 2013.

McPherson must have something that he's shown for Montreal to have kept him as the heir apparent for so long.

It's risk analysis for teams and becomes a cost / success probabilty when trying to sign a free agent QB.

McPherson may also be expecting starter money just as Glenn as suggested he wants to start and more money.
Spud387
Champion

My bet is Reilly goes looking for #1 money or money representing someone who is going to seriously contend for a #1 spot. If he doesn't get that money I see him returning as our system/supporting cast is good and makes him look good.

worst case scenario is him going to a horrid team, stinking up the joint and not getting any more chances where in a good system, he can develop himself while still retaining more of a safety net. Only issue is, how much play time would he really get behind Lulay if this year was an anomaly?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:Reilly's body of work is 1 good start. Both Brink and Elliott have had better games than his 1 start. I don't get why Reilly is considered that hot a prospect over our guys. The Lions were close to cutting Reilly in TC until he had a good ex game performance. His mechanics are awful but he's had the fortune of playing on a good team overall. He's shown some talent..
I can only go by what I've seen of him during his regular season play Dale and don't disagree that his body of work is incomplete as far as being considered a sure fire future starter. But I do like what I've seen in terms of how he has conducted himself on the field, how he seems to make good decisions. Looks to have a strong arm and good wheels and seems to run when appropriate and not under panic. Maybe the difference between him and some of the other backups is they others have played enough to show warts and weaknesses in their game. He hasn't.

Can't say as I ever heard anything about BC being close to cutting him in camp other than your own comments here. They cut Corey Leonard 4 days before the first exhibition game. That left them with the 3 they went with all season. Seems strange that if they had so many concerns about Reilly that they'd cut themselves down to 3 including an absolute raw rookie in DeMarco then wait to see what happened in the exhibition game first before deciding to bring another one into camp. If I'm having my doubts about my #2 QB early in camp and have already gassed one of the other 3 I'm not waiting a week to bring in somebody to get me back to 4 arms.
JohnHenry
Champion

I never heard Reilly being referenced as a potential cut, but Buono has said he wants to see development from his young players or they could be released.

Even in Reilly's "awful game" in Calgary he completed 19 of 26 passes ( 73%) for 261 yds with 2 Tds and 0 Ints.

In the previous week's "great game", Mike completed 19 of 28 passes (68%) for 276 yds with 2 Tds and 1 Int.

In the final week, he completed 10 of 13 passes (77%) for 103 yds, in relief of Travis.

He played in 3 other games and completed 5 of 7 passes (72%) = 104.4 QB rating in 2012.

Mike also played great in exhibition games:

2012: Completed 16 of 24 passes (67%) for 189 yds with 3 Tds and 0 Int.
2012: Completed 10 of 13 passes (77%) for 132 yds with 0 Tds and 0 Int.
2011: Completed 8 of 8 passes (100%) for 108 yds with 2 Tds and 0 Int. ...so I think we're seeing a trend here. :cool:

The Bombers may be the only team currently looking for a QB (with Q. Porter and A. MacPherson also being Free Agents). If Cavillo retires or the Esks jettison Jyles/Joseph, then Reilly's value goes up. I could see him signing for a $200k base salary with a shot at being the starter next season. :thup:
Last edited by JohnHenry on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:I never heard Reilly being referenced as a potential cut, but Buono has said he wants to see development from his young players or they could be released.

Even in Reilly's "awful game" in Calgary he completed 19 of 26 passes ( 73%) for 261 yds with 2 Tds and 0 Ints.

In the previous week's "great game", Mike completed 19 of 28 passes (68%) for 276 yds with 2 Tds and 1 Int.

In the final week, he completed 10 of 13 passes (77%) for 103 yds, in relief of Travis.

He played in 3 other games and completed 5 of 7 passes (72%)...so I think we're seeing a trend here. :cool:

Mike also played in two exhibition games and played spectacularly both times.

The Bombers may be the only team currently looking for a QB (with Q. Porter and A. MacPherson also being Free Agents). If Cavillo retires or the Esks jettison Jyles/Joseph, then Reilly's value goes up. I could see him signing for a $200k base salary with a shot at being the starter next season. :thup:
Good info, JH.

As has been discussed on here ad infinitum, one never knows for sure, even sometimes after one good year.

All I can say is I've seen enough of Reilly to think he could be a very good one. How will anyone know for sure? When he gets his chance to start. And some people, fans and GMs alike, sometimes think they see something early.

For example, how many people saw Buck Pierce against the Riders and thought ... Ooohh, this Kid could be good? :thup:

How many saw Travis Lulay running around and thought the same thing? :thup:

How many saw Jarious, and thought ... Hmmm ... not much touch?

How many saw Zac, and thought ... a bit panicky?

How many saw Casey, and thought ... Wow. Electric. For that one amazing year, and for bits of some other years?

Since we are on the topic, I like what I see from DeMarco also. Poise. Confidence.

IMO it is never too early to start forming impressions. They can change as results happen.

Thinking of Edmonton again ... IMO they might as well release poor old Steven Jyles. Maybe keep Joseph on reduced contract. Give Nichols a very serious shot at #1 in TC. And why the heck not make an offer to Reilly, with an offer to compete fully for #1 at TC? IMO Reilly has shown enough for that. Not that I want to lose him. And not that I care one bit about the Eskimos.
Spud387
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:Reilly's body of work is 1 good start. Both Brink and Elliott have had better games than his 1 start. I don't get why Reilly is considered that hot a prospect over our guys. The Lions were close to cutting Reilly in TC until he had a good ex game performance. His mechanics are awful but he's had the fortune of playing on a good team overall. He's shown some talent..
I can only go by what I've seen of him during his regular season play Dale and don't disagree that his body of work is incomplete as far as being considered a sure fire future starter. But I do like what I've seen in terms of how he has conducted himself on the field, how he seems to make good decisions. Looks to have a strong arm and good wheels and seems to run when appropriate and not under panic. Maybe the difference between him and some of the other backups is they others have played enough to show warts and weaknesses in their game. He hasn't.

Can't say as I ever heard anything about BC being close to cutting him in camp other than your own comments here. They cut Corey Leonard 4 days before the first exhibition game. That left them with the 3 they went with all season. Seems strange that if they had so many concerns about Reilly that they'd cut themselves down to 3 including an absolute raw rookie in DeMarco then wait to see what happened in the exhibition game first before deciding to bring another one into camp. If I'm having my doubts about my #2 QB early in camp and have already gassed one of the other 3 I'm not waiting a week to bring in somebody to get me back to 4 arms.
It was Pre-season 2011 that they were border line ready to cut him (back at Empire Fields). Then he went 8 for 8 with a TD I think and impressed enough to stay.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:The Bombers may be the only team currently looking for a QB (with Q. Porter and A. MacPherson also being Free Agents). If Cavillo retires or the Esks jettison Jyles/Joseph, then Reilly's value goes up. I could see him signing for a $200k base salary with a shot at being the starter next season. :thup:
Teams don't sign a QB with Reilly's relative inexperience to a $200K base salary for a "shot" at starting. $200K is, for lack of a better term, entry-level starter money. If you offer that you are telling the player the starting job is his to lose, not to win, and he comes to came pencilled in at #1.
bc49
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't touch MacPherson with a 110 yard field. There is something wrong with the guy (at least in terms of ambition) For him to voluntarily remain behind AC for so long shows he really has no interest or desire in a number 1 job. Which means he really has no interest or desire to keep a number 1 job. This is not the kind of indifference you want in your starter. Heck he has been the back up guy so long his 30th birthday has come and gone. If AC hangs them up this off season Jim Popp is not going to like his in-house QB options.
I think Reilly is the real deal, the most promising QB prospect in the league today.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

bc49 wrote:I wouldn't touch MacPherson with a 110 yard field. There is something wrong with the guy (at least in terms of ambition) For him to voluntarily remain behind AC for so long shows he really has no interest or desire in a number 1 job. Which means he really has no interest or desire to keep a number 1 job. This is not the kind of indifference you want in your starter. Heck he has been the back up guy so long his 30th birthday has come and gone. If AC hangs them up this off season Jim Popp is not going to like his in-house QB options.
Concur
lfpeterson64
Rookie

I had the opportunity to watch Mike Reilly play several games at CWU...He was amazing! His accuracy was second to none...In the red zone he had a TD pass in every game he ever played there...and, he was a really heady scrambler/slip n slider in the pocket, who picked up huge first downs with his feet...He obliterated Jon Kitna's passing records at CWU because he is that good (and Kitna, remember, was a pro bowl QB in the NFL a time or two)...folks are somewhat negative about the way he releases the ball, a little low three quarter arm...but ya know what? I don't think that matters an once...think about all the guys that deliver the ball side arm, under arm, etc., there's lots of ways to get the job done, and Reilly definitely can get it done...you watch...when he gets a legitimate shot, he will not disappoint...speaking of different-looking releases, have you ever watched highlight reels of Calvillo? He's done pretty good for himself, and he releases the ball very oddly many times actually...How bout Dan Marino? He threw a beautiful ball, but he also released it often times low at the shoulder, about three quarter arm...Hmmm...not to mention Doug Flutie throwing around, under, and through guys in whatever fashion the situation required...Mike Reilly will be a superstar if someone gives him a true shot...He was ready to show that two years ago...but he's been very patient and wise...But his day is due
lfpeterson64
Rookie

Knowing what Reilly can do, I can say without hesitation that he could have set the league on fire two years ago if folks would have cut him loose then...He has been a superstar waiting for his real chance...now, it sounds like he may get finally get it...He is one of the most accurate passers you will ever see...with great red zone ability, great feet, and a Joe Montana-like intellect and feel for the game...he's going to be a superstar in this league, he did not smash all Jon Kitna's passing records by being a schmo...he's great.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I dont think Flutie's uniqueness will ever be totally equaled, but so far, Reilly looks to me like he could be the next best thing. Something about him reminds me of DF which is why I have such hope for him.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back