Argos 35 - Stampeders 22 Grey Cup Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MexicoLionFan
Legend

David, if you check my comments during the game and post game, I pointed out that play, and many others where the refs conveniently put away the whistle when it came to the Stamps, but made some perplexing calls against us (remember the pass interference call against us that set up their first score, when their receiver tripped on his own heals on a 2nd and 10)...

I wrote this post game, that the refs were a factor in the game...Calgary held, blatantly, at least 4 times, 2 of which were on long TDs, once against Smith and once against Mitchell...Mitchell was tackled right in front of the head ref and no call...on a long TD...

The infamous 3rd down goal line gamble by Calgary where Bo Levi did NOT get in...I have the replay, and I have watched it a hundred times, and there is no way that ball ever conclusively BROKE the plane...and yet, that was the fastest "review" by Toronto is have ever seen, on the most important game of the season, to that point...why did TSN not review it more than once? Everyone, including TSN seemed to happily sweep that play under the carpet...

At the end of the day, Calgary came out and played hard against us, and we were lethargic at best...but in a game decided by a few points and an on side kick, there were at least 4 PLAYS that the refs were instrumental in aiding Calgary and hurting the Lions...and that is more than a little suspicious...

Someone today said that Toronto would have been tough to beat in the Grey Cup and they are right...the CFL wanted Toronto in the game, and didn't want BC...they didn't want Braley vs. Braley and wanted the Argos to win in a crucial year for their long term survival...obviously Toronto played well (I heard), but the Argos were hardly the best team in the CFL this year...and for what it is worth...this year's Toronto "run" to the Cup reminds me a lot of the New Orleans Saints "run to the Super Bowl" a couple of years back in the States...the NFL wanted the Aints to be the feel good story after Katrina, and that football benefited from some of the most incredibly biased officiating in modern history...their game versus the Minnesota Vikings in the NFC title game, was completely aided by the officials...some of which came out later in the press.

How much all of this is random chance, the "football gods" as Joe says, and how much of this is planned, I really can't say...but the Lions weren't wanted in the 100th GC, and the Argos were sure a fortunate crew.

Just my opinion...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
David
Team Captain

Interesting MLF. Sorry, I didn't read a lot of the post game comments from last week. It was all just too depressing to rehash a lot of that stuff.

Funny though, I did hear the Commish say on the radio this week that he's glad "we avoided the optics of a Braley vs Braley Championship." This surprised me on many levels. He supposed to be completely unbiased but instead implies that he was more than okay with Calgary winning the WF. Did this influence the refs? Hard to say. I still don't think we deserved to win anyway. We just didn't play well enough regardless of the bad calls (but they sure didn't help!).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
bc49
Hall of Famer

What a craptacular football game. On an entertainment scale I give it a 3/10. Not a good showing for the 100th edition by any stretch. Dickenson really got taken to school in this one, not that his shaky QB helped matters. Credit to the Argos who came to play and are fully deserving of the championship crown.
I never watched the halftime show but for crying out loud what did the organizers expect. Cohon should have used his veto powers to nip that Bieber idea in the bud. The only halftime act that would have been acceptable for the 100th would have been Rush.
Anyways beyond the game and the weird halftime entertainment the reports are that TO did put on a very good GC week.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hearing that McDaniel and Price show a lot of attitude, not exactly team first guys. If true, that would fit rather nicely with that team, it seems to me.

I can't help but think that Huf is putting talent, to the exclusion of team first attitude, at the top of the priority list.

Unconfirmed, but ... with Lewis, Cornish and maybe even Tate, they do have some strange attitudes on that team. Could be a nightmare next year.

I wasn't totally wrapped up in who won the game, but I do have great respect for Ricky Ray, Chad Kackert, Scott Milanovich, and even the Argos' owner, David Braley. I had no problem with the Argos winning. Now that I think of it, I would not have been happy to see the personalilties of the Stampeders celebrating.

Plus it has to be good for the CFL to see Torontonians out celebrating in the streets.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote: Funny though, I did hear the Commish say on the radio this week that he's glad "we avoided the optics of a Braley vs Braley Championship." This surprised me on many levels. He supposed to be completely unbiased but instead implies that he was more than okay with Calgary winning the WF.
Cohon could have avoided the potential pithole by vetoing the purchase.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Very typical of Glenn. Pulls out a superb game every once in a while and then follows it up with mediocrity. The better team won today and they did so because they seemed to understand what we did not last week which was how to swarm to the ball carrier and make the Stamps players look over their shoulders every time the ball came their way. I really liked especially how their two main weapons, Cornish and Lewis had their attitudes handed to them on a platter. It was very abundantly clear that the Argos didn't give one Iota of caring about who it was who was getting the ball. Just that they were going to pay.

It was the kind of play that I had hoped that the Lions D would have put up last week. Instead, they looked confused and slow. The very antithesis of what we saw today from Toronto.

In the end, the Argos were the better team today but somehow the story book ending seemed just a little too purrfect. One thing is for sure, the trade that sent Ray to the Argos is going to go down as one of the worst trades ever made by a GM. Conspiracy theorists will long wonder how it was that a premiere QB just happened to be traded to a team in advance of hosting the 100th GC with little of apparent value going the other way. Funny too how it was just the kind of shot in the arm that a struggling franchise needed. The same can be said about how their DC defected from the Stamps under questionable circumstances. Just seems funny that all that talent could magically find itself to the one team at the time when it would be most valuable.

The conclusion to this story is nothing short of a miracle. In some ways, I feel about it as I did about the 2005 Edmonton team that somehow managed to swing the Davis-Maas trade in such as way as to clearly benefit a team with Grey Cup aspirations. Getting great value at the time for little in return (until the next season) I'm not making accusations but this season has been a little strange. Kind of leaves me wondering what the hell happened and how did this all unfold. About the only thing I am certain about is that Sonic the Hedgehog should probably never show his face in Edmonton again and if we are all lucky never in the CFL either.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It seemed like from the TV and media that all week Toronto was crawling with CFL vets from all over including Doug Flutie on the broadcast and Dunigan and IIRC Dickinson and Flutie were tossing passes pre-game. I loved how they turned the Mosca-Kapp thing into auctioning the cane for charity this year. Redemption for Joe too.

I loved this Warren Sap quote on Flutie from last summer talking about the Rob Johnson - Doug F. era with the Bills:

Warren Sapp on Rob Johnson-Doug Flutie when he was promoting Sapp Attack book:

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-cove ... lutie.html

Flutie was a special player who like Theismann never ever disses the CFL. Nor does Moon either to be fair to him too.
August 21, 2012 - 11:00 AM

By Mark Gaughan

It's always a good day in Buffalo when we can reminisce about the Flutie-Johnson era.

The year was 2000.

Late in the interview, Francesa and Sapp were talking about the Saints' bounty scandal. Francesa asked: "Isn't your job always to knock the quarterback out of the game?"

Replied Sapp: "No. We were playing the Buffalo Bills one time and it was Rob Johnson and the backup was Doug Flutie. We sacked Rob about three times in the first quarter. Rod Marinelli [the Bucs' defensive line coach] came over to me on the sideline he looked at me and said, 'Do not knock that man out of this game. Do not knock that man out of this game, Warren!' I said, 'Yes, sir.' ... Hey, when the backup is faster ... We didn’t want to chase that guy ... “
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Upper Bowl
Starter

TheLionKing wrote:Calgary won their Grey Cup last week in Vancouver
It sure seems like that now, doesn't it?

After the West Final, we stayed in our seats, as we always do, to let the crowd clear out, before we made our exit. Before the trophy presentation, I was stunned to see the extent of the Stamps' celebration. I'm not sure how much of that made the post-game TV broadcast, but they looked like a bunch of seven-year-olds who'd just tried caffeine for the first time, dancing and skipping around like crazy. I put it out of my mind, assuming they'd make a strong showing in the Cup. But after that pitiful performance, I wonder whether they cared more about beating the Lions.

Congrats to the Argos. What a coaching clinic Milanovic and Jones put on! If Wally musters the courage to part ways with Geroy, I wonder if his old QB would be interested in him? Maybe with a deal to become the Argos receivers coach in the future?

Anyone else think Jones resembles a young Stubler? Not just in co-ordinating prowess, but in physical appearance, right down to the haircut and long sleeve navy top that Stubes wore during his time in Toronto.

The down side of the Argos winning (as I mentioned in another post) is that they join the Lions as the only franchise to win at home in the last 35 years. I was proud that only B.C. had done it over that period.

Sir Purrcival wrote:
The conclusion to this story is nothing short of a miracle. In some ways, I feel about it as I did about the 2005 Edmonton team that somehow managed to swing the Davis-Maas trade in such as way as to clearly benefit a team with Grey Cup aspirations.   Getting great value at the time for little in return (until the next season)  I'm not making accusations but this season has been a little strange.  Kind of leaves me wondering what the hell happened and how did this all unfold.    About the only thing I am certain about is that Sonic the Hedgehog should probably never show his face in Edmonton again and if we are all lucky never in the CFL either.
Great post, great points.........only in the CFL!

And that closing line about Tillman was wickedly funny!
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

The down side of the Argos winning (as I mentioned in another post) is that they join the Lions as the only franchise to win at home in the last 35 years. I was proud that only B.C. had done it over that period.

Oh well,I think the Lions are the only team to have done it twice.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
D
Team Captain

I'm sure the stamps are feeling a lot like the Lions did last week. certainley not there best effort

Congratulations to the Argos! Hopefully this gives the CFL a boost in the GTA
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Big Time
Champion

Sir Purrcival wrote:The down side of the Argos winning (as I mentioned in another post) is that they join the Lions as the only franchise to win at home in the last 35 years. I was proud that only B.C. had done it over that period.

Oh well,I think the Lions are the only team to have done it twice.
At least we all know we can count on the two game winning streak of home teams winning the Grey Cup to come to an end next year! LOL :yahoo:
dfootball
Rookie

worst grey cup game ever, excellent atmosphere, excellent build up, excellnt crowed, excellent celbration by argo fans in the streets, but the game the halftime show the national anthem was a complete joke, worst i have seen in years and the cfl should be ashamed, of themselfs for picking these such amature performers.

the cfl needs to get a clasic again, i would not be suprised, if that argo parade tom nobody shows up.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

bc49 wrote:What a craptacular football game. On an entertainment scale I give it a 3/10. Not a good showing for the 100th edition by any stretch.
Agreed Tommy. I could almost swear Hufnagel was relieved with the outcome as the Glenn stinker sets the stage for Tate to be the undisputed No. 1 in 2013.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Kevin Glenn is a good quarterback. He will never be mistaken for a great quarterback
Buonosjanet69
Starter

So did Eric Tillman drink out of the Grey Cup yet?

Argos win Grey Cup at home, so many things seem lame about this one, sorry Argo fans...