Reilly or McPherson: Best Candidate for Starting QB?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:Just speculating on numbers Reilly is likely at $80K as a backuo QB on his original deal, An upper end backup is probably in the $150' range. A team that is confident he can come and be their starter might go as high as $200K. Otherwise I think that $150'K area is about where he might have to settle. I think that's about what Jaroius Jackson made for much of his tenure. Buono would be willing to offer in that range knowing what they have while it might be difficult for others to push much higher.
Another team, where he has a chance to actually compete for a starting job, might offer a low salary and lot of incentive bonuses for starts or other stats.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Hambone wrote:Just speculating on numbers Reilly is likely at $80K as a backuo QB on his original deal, An upper end backup is probably in the $150' range. A team that is confident he can come and be their starter might go as high as $200K. Otherwise I think that $150'K area is about where he might have to settle. I think that's about what Jaroius Jackson made for much of his tenure. Buono would be willing to offer in that range knowing what they have while it might be difficult for others to push much higher.
Another team, where he has a chance to actually compete for a starting job, might offer a low salary and lot of incentive bonuses for starts or other stats.
The CFL is moving to lower QB salaries as an impact of SMS era. I think lower salaries with incentives is what we're going to be seeing more of in future. I agree an upper end back up might be in the $150K but the more the starter on a given team gets, the less they can afford ontheir back up.

Not sure how this will work out for him. He does have potential and teams will have interest. Just not sure who will be willing to pay what until the dust settles on the casualties of the off season.

Not much will surprise me about a bunch of QB's getting out right releases around the league so there will be some openings.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Reilly has to think that if he re-signed with BC he's going to be left exposed in the expansion draft. That means he most likely ends up on an expansion team in 2014, which may not be an attractive scenario for him. But if he signs somewhere else now, on a team that either needs a #1 guy in 2013, or will has an aging starting QB (Mtl, Hamilton, Edm, Calgary?) or in the case of Winnipeg a #1 with health issues, suddenly Reilly might be the guy who gets protected even if he is the #2 QB for the 2013 season. If it was me I would rather want to control where I go, be able to forecast how my team might do over the next two or three years, than take a chance on an expansion team.

Now as James said, the Lions would probably love to keep Reilly next year to give them added protection from the expansion draft. Plus he's great insurance on a team that should still have all the tools to be the Grey Cup favourites in 2013.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote:Reilly has to think that if he re-signed with BC he's going to be left exposed in the expansion draft. That means he most likely ends up on an expansion team in 2014, which may not be an attractive scenario for him. But if he signs somewhere else now, on a team that either needs a #1 guy in 2013, or will has an aging starting QB (Mtl, Hamilton, Edm, Calgary?) or in the case of Winnipeg a #1 with health issues, suddenly Reilly might be the guy who gets protected even if he is the #2 QB for the 2013 season. If it was me I would rather want to control where I go, be able to forecast how my team might do over the next two or three years, than take a chance on an expansion team.

Now as James said, the Lions would probably love to keep Reilly next year to give them added protection from the expansion draft. Plus he's great insurance on a team that should still have all the tools to be the Grey Cup favourites in 2013.

That's a great point BCL...I am sure that is why Reilly is going "all in" this off season...and he will get a nice contract, no doubt in my mind.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
joe kapp22
Legend

Assuming he leaves, who replaces him?

IMO just as a professional he really should look to play more and advance his career.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The logical choice at the moment appears to be Thomas DeMarco, Reilly's understudy unless the Lions sign a hotshot QB or unearth another at a free agent camp.
JohnHenry
Champion

DeMarco has done everything the Lions have asked of him. The only question is his experience...and perhaps height? But if there is any league which shouldn't discriminate against a player because of his lack of height, that should be the CFL.

Reilly should be in line for a $175k to $225k contract, in my estimation. While he's basically only played 2 games in the CFL, every time he's been given the opportunity including preseason, he's shined. Even in that devastating loss in Calgary, Mike had better stats than in his wonderful game at B.C. Place...being over 100 QBR in both games. :thup:
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

If Calvillo plays another year in Montreal it wouldn't surprise me to see McPherson try his luck elsewhere. Being the annual # 2 can't be the best either financially or towards his desire to be # 1 somewhere.

At this point the question is whether he is capable of being a # 1 and starting with a new team and OC.

He hasn't shown greatness but has shown some abilties that might draw some interest in Edmonton or Winnipeg.

Moved this discussion over from the Montreal Non Import O Line Free Agent thread ... (Mod Staff)

http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =2&t=26581
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:If Calvillo plays another year in Montreal it wouldn't surprise me to see McPherson try his luck elsewhere. Being the annual # 2 can't be the best either financially or towards his desire to be # 1 somewhere.

At this point the question is whether he is capable of being a # 1 and starting with a new team and OC.

He hasn't shown greatness but has shown some abilties that might draw some interest in Edmonton or Winnipeg.
Between Reilly and McPherson, which one would you pursue, if it was up to you, Blue?

I've seen Reilly play. Not so much with AMc. He hardly sees the field it seems.

Regarding Reilly, of course he is somewhat unproven. But guys can look good for a long series of games, and than fade. At some point, in the right situation, a team has to give a guy shot.

Matt Nichols in Edmonton has looked very good in his brief opportuniities. I'm thinking Reilly and Nichols could have the makings of a good battle for #1 in Edmonton.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wasn't McPherson a free agent last year and chose to resign with the Als for one year ?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Talking to a couple of Montreal buddies and long time Al season ticket holders at Grey Cup they weren't exactly glowing about McPherson's ability to read defences. Might be a product of their scheme which seems to focus on the hot read. McP might OK when that is there but struggle when he has to look for 2nd and 3rd reads.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:If Calvillo plays another year in Montreal it wouldn't surprise me to see McPherson try his luck elsewhere. Being the annual # 2 can't be the best either financially or towards his desire to be # 1 somewhere.

Between Reilly and McPherson, which one would you pursue, if it was up to you, Blue?

Regarding Reilly, of course he is somewhat unproven. But guys can look good for a long series of games, and than fade. At some point, in the right situation, a team has to give a guy shot.

Matt Nichols in Edmonton has looked very good in his brief opportuniities. I'm thinking Reilly and Nichols could have the makings of a good battle for #1 in Edmonton.
I suppose the safe decision would be McPherson since he's been schooled by one of the best QB's to ever play in any league. He's been in the CFL for several years and has good size, speed and elusiveness.

Reilly might have more upside but it's hard to base that on such a small sample of playing time.

It's going to depend on the situation with the rest of the QB's on a team ( Bombers or Edmton ) and whether they are looking for someone to compete immediately for # 1 or be a # 2 guy.

I don't see a team thinking Reilly is going to compete for # 1 immediately. That won't happen in BC and I don't think it will happen elsewhere unless a team is desparate.

McPherson could become the next Jyles and a failure if given a starting role. I honestly don't know but I have to go with his longer experience compared to Reilly.

However, if the Bombers decide to make sweeping changes at QB, they could in theory try to sign both.

I think Reilly will price himself out of the market if he's looking to sign for # 1 $$.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:

I suppose the safe decision would be McPherson since he's been schooled by one of the best QB's to ever play in any league. He's been in the CFL for several years and has good size, speed and elusiveness.

Reilly might have more upside but it's hard to base that on such a small sample of playing time.

It's going to depend on the situation with the rest of the QB's on a team ( Bombers or Edmton ) and whether they are looking for someone to compete immediately for # 1 or be a # 2 guy.

I don't see a team thinking Reilly is going to compete for # 1 immediately. That won't happen in BC and I don't think it will happen elsewhere unless a team is desparate.

McPherson could become the next Jyles and a failure if given a starting role. I honestly don't know but I have to go with his longer experience compared to Reilly.

However, if the Bombers decide to make sweeping changes at QB, they could in theory try to sign both.

I think Reilly will price himself out of the market if he's looking to sign for # 1 $$.
At some point, a good #2 will get a shot at it somewhere. If you don't believe in your #2, then you've got the wrong guy there. And if your #2 shows enough he will go the FA route. It seems to me Reilly has shown enough as a #2 to merit his shot at #1 at some Training Camp. Not given #1 outright.

I think the Lions believe he could be a #1, either here or elsewhere. I think Lions' fans were not worried when Lulay was out. Rather I think fans were expectant of a good Reilly performance.

Not saying Reilly is any kind of sure thing, but it seems to me has shown enough for some team to let him compete for #1.

It's a funny thing about fans. As a collective group, discounting the extreme opinions on either end of the spectrum, but the group oftentimes gets the judgment right. Kind of the same thing with an electorate or a jury. The wisdom of the group. Sometimes right, not always ...

Reilly has been very good on FG holds. He has been very, very good at short yardage, slippery and finds holes, something Jarious could not do. These jobs show something too.

I would not anoint him as a starter, but I think Edmonton, for example, would be wise to bring him in to compete with Nichols. For Reilly, if such an offer should come, IMO that would be a much better situation than a new franchise shot with Ottawa.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Moved this discussion over from the Montreal Non Import O Line Free Agent thread ...

http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =2&t=26581

Reilly or McPherson: Best Candidate for Starting QB?