Eastern and Western Semi Final Game Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

I was surprised all week that the Stamps started Tate over Glenn, and if Tate plays like he did today against the Lions we'll be seeing Glenn before the first half is over. Lucky was a word I thought a lot watching Tate's first half play. Certainly can't accuse Tate of being conservative.

Hufnagel was really into this game too. Late in the game, before the Riders got their Carr TD, he was flapping his arms like a bird, hoping to get the crowd to make noise. I know why he did it, it just isn't what I'd normally expect out of him. Normally he'd leave that to his players (don't worry they were armflapping too!). Nice to see the Coach so involved and hoping his team would pull this one out....

Should make for an intersting Finals Weekend. Got that nice problem to deal with now. Only get to catch a bit of the East Final but thats because I'm going to watch the Stamps/Lions battle it out in what I'm hoping will be another exciting Western Final (or West Final-as TSN likes to call it). :popcorn:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

So the Riders can pick Kierrie's brain all they want about the Lions' O and D. LOL

I expect that is the main reason they signed him. Kind of a cheap ploy, but other teams would do it too. And the thing is ... it wouldn't really have helped them. Playbooks change. Game prep changes. Whatever an acquired player can tell you just gets thrown in with the wash. There are just too many moving parts for it to make a difference.

Kind of like ... OK they are going to run it with Andrew Harris. And Lulay is going to throw to Geroy, and Gore, etc. Gawdddd, what a scoop.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:I was surprised all week that the Stamps started Tate over Glenn, and if Tate plays like he did today against the Lions we'll be seeing Glenn before the first half is over. Lucky was a word I thought a lot watching Tate's first half play. Certainly can't accuse Tate of being conservative.
He has a gunslinger attitude. Several times he went for the home run ball when there was no need to. That can come back to bite you in the ass.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

A nerve racking game if you are Stamps or Riders fan, but great game for a Lions fan. Hopefully Stamps have pulled out all the stops in this one and are physically and emotionally spent come next week.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I wonder whether the Lions coaching staff was at the game. There were a few Stamps limping around. Keon Raymond was hobbling with an ankle injury
swervynmerv
Legend

1. This was an emotional win for the Stamps. I don't think they played that well and Tate can be flustered easily. I'm betting the Stamps are flat next week and I think the Lions roll over them, similar to what happened to BC in 2010 when the beat the Tiger Cats in OT and then came out flat in Montreal in the East final.
2. The more I see other teams play, the more I am thankful that Travis Lulay is our starter.
3. Other than the Lions winning, I get the most joy out of seeing the Riders blow a game.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I wonder whether the Lions coaching staff was at the game. There were a few Stamps limping around. Keon Raymond was hobbling with an ankle injury
hmm, are you accusing the lions coaches of something? :shock:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
South Pender
Legend

Any serious injuries?
joe kapp22
Legend

Stamps are a solid team we will have our hands full next week
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Ravi
Legend

joe kapp22 wrote:Stamps are a solid team we will have our hands full next week
This will be a good game next week and much closer IMO than a Riders/Lions matchup would have been. The Stamps have been playing some solid football in recent weeks while the Lions have been the best team in the league until now. This is the right matchup for the West Final as is the Toronto/Montreal matchup for the East Final.
Roaring Fan Since 82!!
Rookie

Just my preliminary thoughts....

Hit Tate...don't take a penality doing it though.

D can be ball hawks, as Tate seems to toss it up.

Cornish needs to be stopped on the line. I expect a big game from Bighill.

O needs to capitalize on chances...use our weapons! Stamps D let some big plays happen.

I expects the Leos to be all business next weekend. Lets get this done and move on to T.O.
Da Lions rule!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I sat on the fence on picks for both games due to the insertion of TATE for the Stamps and whether he'd be up to the challenge given a small body of work this year and possibly some in the locker room annoyed for Kevin Glenn. Also the Drew Tate sideline rant at players and the HC last game was a factor in my mind as to which Stamp team would turn up. It looks like Cornish with 109 yards was a key as was that cover breakdown on that 68 yd TD. Carr and two TDs was strange given how he's not been used much since moving from EDMTN.

ESKS had twice beat the Argos but all the Tillman firing outfall and then to see Cory Boyd draw in - that was a bit of surprise given how he had not got the work and then he fumbles ... yikes. Saw on TSN a fan calling Reed the flakiest coach ever for not being decisive on players. The guy has a point and with ET gone he had a free ride this week to pick QB and RB.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
joe kapp22
Legend

Ravi wrote:
joe kapp22 wrote:Stamps are a solid team we will have our hands full next week
This will be a good game next week and much closer IMO than a Riders/Lions matchup would have been. The Stamps have been playing some solid football in recent weeks while the Lions have been the best team in the league until now. This is the right matchup for the West Final as is the Toronto/Montreal matchup for the East Final.
They can match our weapons on offense, but Lulay is a better Qb

Do think our D is better than theirs and Specials are as well depending on the sort of McCallum is having.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Any serious injuries?
Guess we won't know for sure til next week but there were a few Stamps needing medical attention after plays.
274always
All Star

only time leos hosted calgary in a WF at bc place was 1999. So this would be a chance for a first ever WF win at bc place against the stamps. the only time bc ever won at home to calgary in the wf was in 1964 at empire stadium in game 3 of a best of three.
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.