Get ready for a quiet couple of weeks

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Just reviewing Lowell Ullrich's pre-game chat from Friday to learn a media blackout has been imposed for all practices leading up to the WF except for the last 15 minutes. Can never recall this happening in the past.

The Province is furious enough with this decision that LU has been given the next few days off (see below), even with nothing going on this town except for build-up towards the Nov. 18 game. As a diehard, I have always enjoyed the "tweets" from practices from various reporters about who is taking first team reps and who is not. Now we will get nothing, even the newspaper and TV stories will provide nothing in the way what the potential line-up is looking like for the WF.

Maybe it won't hurt ticket sales but at a very rare time when the sporting spotlight is only shinning on the Lions, they are hurting their exposure.

Here's some of what LU had to say:
Dont know about the last question Kyle, 'cause the boss told us to shut it down next week in wake of the club's media policy. As for the break, Lions will get three days off right off the bat, then back to work.

r4M: Would you like The Province's viewpoint on this matter? Of course were not happy, because fans get screwed. If you wanted to know if Lulay is playing Saturday before buying a ticket, you'll have no idea really because there is nobody to verify their statements, for example

Your last question is exactly what we have been asking ourselves for the last few days!!!!! The club feels it is giving the media access as we see the last 15 minutes. That consists primarily of the always exciting FG drill, plus one defensive session. In no way does that enable us to get a feel for what is going on; mood of the team; general banter etc.
http://live.theprovince.com/Event/BC_Li ... h_8?Page=1
QB Club 63
All Star

Well, of course the media is going to spin it so they look like the victims. "We're just trying to do our jobs" doesn't cut it in my opinion, and instead of ripping the clubs, maybe they should look at their peers who in the past might have spilled the beans about something teams would rather have kept quiet. These days "journalistic integrity" has the same smell as "military intelligence". :tp:

Having said that, I would agree with the spirit of the message. Currently being "the only game in town" in many markets, the CFL has a tremendous opportunity to re-establish themselves as "major league" and potentially increase their fan base. Perhaps a league-wide directive that teams preparing for playoffs be required to hold productive daily media sessions would be appropriate. :2cents:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I hope this means Lions are preparing and practising some new plays that other teams have had no previous video to look at and prepare for.
David
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:I hope this means Lions are preparing and practising some new plays that other teams have had no previous video to look at and prepare for.
Actually, we gave them a new play last night: the fullback screen to Lumbala, which teams will now have to spend time defending in practice, even though we may not throw in that wrinkle again. :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

With NO media, or media cutbacks on football, there is no FREE promotion of the team. It won't matter for the WDF this year but the dead space will get filled somehow and right now it is not hockey. Look at Wpg this year. They fired a decent bomber sports writer as they don't need the guy. Do we want the top writers in Beamish and Ullrich re-assigned or let go as there is no work for them? They are important and keep the focus on football with their stories.

It is the media job to cover practice and if the Lions don't like something being said then they should speak to the specific media person who does something they don't like. It is not media whining. There is the odd story that I find might have a bit too much detail - how they utilized SE with Bighill on the field together when SE first came back was one.

If you have been to practices you will see the media there are all the usual suspects and they all know sports and football and know what to write.

I oppose these things as you want stories and something carrying on.

Overall MB is heading to Coach of the Year as he took over a very good team and didn't mess it up. He improved somethings and has done a very, very good job. But eliminate this kind of stupidity.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

There has been no hockey activity, rehearsal, game or otherwise, at Rogers Arena yet this season (and prospects for there being any aren't looking good). That hasn't stopped the Sun and Province from filling their pages with Canucks coverage, though admittedly not the saturation level they usually have this time of year.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I disagree with the club policy if true. Here's a golden opportunity to spotlight the Lions in their biggest game of the year plus increase ticket sales and they adopt this policy. :juggle:
South Pender
Legend

I have absolutely no opposition to the team refusing media access to their preparations for the WF. First, I don't believe that it will reduce attendance at the game itself. Second it won't get Beamish (who, in my opinion, is borderline incompetent) or Ullrich fired or taken off football permanently.

Third, the media have a badly inflated opinion of their importance in our society, this not being restricted at all to sports, but to just about everything. The ridiculous mantra of "the public has a right to know" is often nothing more than a cover for their real agenda of distorting or actually manufacturing news to sell their product. So, the media's protestations ring extremely hollow to me. But I digress....

Getting back to the issue at hand, if the Lions brain-trust honestly feels that the team will be at a true advantage with nothing being revealed in their preparation, then my feeling is let them do what they think is most likely to produce a victory. A day after a Lions Grey Cup win on Nov. 25 we will have completely forgotten about the lack of access leading up to the WF and instead be glad that they put together good game plans, without any of their planning being available to the opposition. It's hard to imagine that the team would have any reason other than maximizing the probabilities of a win to insist on this blackout.
Last edited by South Pender on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

:whs:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:I have absolutely no opposition to the team refusing media access to their preparations for the WF. First, I don't believe that it will reduce attendance at the game itself. Second it won't get Beamish (who, in my opinion, is borderline incompetent) or Ullrich fired or taken off football permanently.

Third, the media have a badly inflated opinion of their importance in our society, this not being restricted at all to sports, but to just about everything. The ridiculous mantra of "the public has a right to know" is often nothing more than a cover for their real agenda of distorting or actually manufacturing news to sell their product. So, the media's protestations ring extremely hollow to me. But I digress....

Getting back to the issue at hand, if the Lions brain-trust honestly feels that the team will be at a true advantage with nothing being revealed in their preparation, then my feeling is let them do what they think is most likely to produce a victory. A day after a Lions Grey Cup win on Nov. 25 we will have completely forgotten about the lack of access leading up to the WF and instead be glad that they put together good game plans, without any of their planning being available to the opposition. It's hard to imagine that the team would have any reason other than maximizing the probabilities of a win to insist on this blackout.
Beamish is a very good football writer who at times endures the wrath of the Lions as regular practice goers know for some of his tougher Lion stories during Wally's HC time. If a writer is too tough on the team or does a storyline the HC or GM prefers they don't it makes it frosty. That is often why you will see other columnists from the same paper doing calls for a GM or HC to be fired versus the beat writer who needs access to players and coaches for interviews.

Despite their President being from the print media, the Lions are missing the marketing concept of "earned media" which is the free coverage they get on TV, print and now online that you don't have to pay for. Hockey fans are very much influenced by media hype that shifted from the CFL to the NHL as teams expanded into new markets in Canada. Younger people might know but in the days when the CFL was the toast of BC if a BC Lion HC was fired it was the FRONT PAGE HEADLINE in the Late Edition of the major BC newspapers.

It is not always the case that TV sports do a Lions piece on their sports casts but it would be nice to have that happening.

If the media feel dissed they will diss the team or the management like Ullrich's column did. These guys will find a way to send a message as this stuff stops them from doing their job.

When fans support things like teams closing practices to the media or in the Sask case even closing practices to fans - this is insane as both market their teams and the benefits outweigh the risks. The CFL and their teams are very narrow in their ability to market like the major teams and leagues in the world with global brands. NFL running sports camps in Beijing now. I see the NBA presence all the time in China. Eng. Prem. League. - Man U has its own bar/restaurant in HK. These leagues get it.

If the Lions are in BC Place, yes, I can see no public being there as it is not practical to bring in security and induce costs.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
joe kapp22
Legend

I suspect this has more to do with our injury situation on the OL, but still, this sort of policy rarely does anything very good at all.

Maybe in a sly way it can generate some buzz, but still, the BC sports media market is more or less ours we toss it away on being too cute by half?
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:Despite their President being from the print media, the Lions are missing the marketing concept of "earned media" which is the free coverage they get on TV, print and now online that you don't have to pay for. Hockey fans are very much influenced by media hype that shifted from the CFL to the NHL as teams expanded into new markets in Canada. Younger people might know but in the days when the CFL was the toast of BC if a BC Lion HC was fired it was the FRONT PAGE HEADLINE in the Late Edition of the major BC newspapers.
Funny you should mention that; were you listening to 1040 in the last few hours? With news today of Don Matthews battling cancer, Taylor and BMac were reminiscing on his years here as head coach and pointed out that the Lions were indeed the sports toast of the town as recently as the mid/late 80s, while the Canucks in those days struggled to reach five digits in their attendance figures.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
South Pender
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote: Beamish is a very good football writer....
Boy, we must have been reading different columns by Beamish. I've seen him, both in print and in his videos before games, get facts wrong, evince deplorable ignorance of some of the subtleties of the game, and generally come off as a real amateur, as a guy who not only never played the game (and I don't know whether or not he ever did), but never really understood it.

Actually, I was thinking of starting a new thread on this forum with a title along the lines of "Are there any decent sports writers in Vancouver (besides, perhaps, Cam Cole)?" I was tempted after reading a completely vacuous piece by Ed Willes in today's Province.

And all this stuff about the Lions being bad guys for not letting the media find out that they're replacing Shell on the active roster with the import guard, planning to start Moore and Taylor instead of Simon and Bruce, are hiding a hairline fracture in Reid's foot, are developing some completely new defensive looks, and some brand new offensive plays to mitigate the problems with the interior of the O-line,...you know, the stuff that would have no value to the opposition in preparing to beat us. Probably better to give our opponents a real leg up than to deny the whining media their God-given right to report all the news that's fit to print; after all, the people always have the right to know....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote: Beamish is a very good football writer....
Boy, we must have been reading different columns by Beamish. I've seen him, both in print and in his videos before games, get facts wrong, evince deplorable ignorance of some of the subtleties of the game, and generally come off as a real amateur, as a guy who not only never played the game (and I don't know whether or not he ever did), but never really understood it.

Actually, I was thinking of starting a new thread on this forum with a title along the lines of "Are there any decent sports writers in Vancouver (besides, perhaps, Cam Cole)?" I was tempted after reading a completely vacuous piece by Ed Willes in today's Province.

And all this stuff about the Lions being bad guys for not letting the media find out that they're replacing Shell on the active roster with the import guard, planning to start Moore and Taylor instead of Simon and Bruce, are hiding a hairline fracture in Reid's foot, are developing some completely new defensive looks, and some brand new offensive plays to mitigate the problems with the interior of the O-line,...you know, the stuff that would have no value to the opposition in preparing to beat us. Probably better to give our opponents a real leg up than to deny the whining media their God-given right to report all the news that's fit to print; after all, the people always have the right to know....
Some of us fans are very friendly with Mike Beamish. And many of us fans like his writing style. He does his research. He writes about more than the football game.

As to his style as a writer, an English teacher of over 50 years (not me), and possibly the most loyal Lions' fan, will vouch for his writing ability. As he has to me a great number of times.

Another thing. We don't want insults towards other bloggers on this site. Mike Beamish does read these forums. And he does blog here occasionally. He is sixbeamers.

Mike Beamish and Lowell Ullrich get lots of respect from me. And from a great many of our long time members here. They are the lifeline to the team, especially for those that have limited access to the team.

I don't think anyone will stop you from saying critical things about our football writers (unless you go too far), but realize it offends some of us. I noticed your previous shot at Beamish. I discussed it with another Mod. He suggested that as a public figure, Beamish is fair game. Maybe so ... But he has friends and fans here. I personally consider him part of this website community.

Iain MacIntyre, Ed Willes, Cam Cole. Same for these guys. I read them all the time. It is always a pleasure for me to read about our team. On this website too, of course.

That thread you said you have thought of starting ... I don't know if that would fly. It would probably be a decision of the site owner whether to allow it. Personally I wouldn't much like it.

My view of interactions here are ... Treat it as if you are around a table with the other bloggers. That is just me. But I do like the generally civil tone here amongst and between bloggers.

The players and coaches, of course, elicit opinions both favourable and critical. When the team is winning, as we have seen the last year and a half, there is much celebration here. In bad times ... different story.

To our local sports writers :beer:
South Pender
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote: Some of us fans are very friendly with Mike Beamish. And many of us fans like his writing style. He does his research. He writes about more than the football game.

As to his style as a writer, an English teacher of over 50 years (not me), and possibly the most loyal Lions' fan, will vouch for his writing ability. As he has to me a great number of times.

Another thing. We don't want insults towards other bloggers on this site. Mike Beamish does read these forums. And he does blog here occasionally. He is sixbeamers.

Mike Beamish and Lowell Ullrich get lots of respect from me. And from a great many of our long time members here. They are the lifeline to the team, especially for those that have limited access to the team.

I don't think anyone will stop you from saying critical things about our football writers (unless you go too far), but realize it offends some of us. I noticed your previous shot at Beamish. I discussed it with another Mod. He suggested that as a public figure, Beamish is fair game. Maybe so ... But he has friends and fans here. I personally consider him part of this website community.

Iain MacIntyre, Ed Willes, Cam Cole. Same for these guys. I read them all the time. It is always a pleasure for me to read about our team. On this website too, of course.

That thread you said you have thought of starting ... I don't know if that would fly. It would probably be a decision of the site owner whether to allow it. Personally I wouldn't much like it.

My view of interactions here are ... Treat it as if you are around a table with the other bloggers. That is just me. But I do like the generally civil tone here amongst and between bloggers.

The players and coaches, of course, elicit opinions both favourable and critical. When the team is winning, as we have seen the last year and a half, there is much celebration here. In bad times ... different story.

To our local sports writers :beer:
Wow! First, let me say that I think it's important to distinguish between critical, as opposed to insulting commentary. My comments about Beamish were based on my reading of his columns over a long period and represent my opinion. And I don't believe that they should be described as insults, but rather as considered criticisms, even if others disagree with the specifics. However, perhaps I went a little too far and, in the future, will try to be more specific and objective, and avoid subjective comments. More importantly, though, perhaps I need to learn a little more about the forum rules/values. Do you consider forum members "bloggers"? I had seen things a little differently. I thought that we were private forum members (not public writers) who were free to express our views about public figures like players, coaches, GMs, team executives, and, yes, professional writers and media commentators. If, by being classified as "bloggers," we are now equal to the latter, then I guess I see your point about not criticizing our own. (You have said that they--the writers and possibly other bloggers--are "part of our website community," something I hadn't realized.) However, by my understanding of "blogger," Beamish and Ullrich (a writer I like much better) are, in fact, bloggers, as is Glen Suitor (a guy we seem to be free to criticize)--but more importantly, they are professional writers and commentators--who, by making their views public by choice and occupation, open themselves to debate and criticism about those views. I had somehow thought that we were operating in a much more restricted, non-public, forum, where our views were about people outside our group.

I think whenever a public figure, most often a player, is criticized, there will be many who disagree with the criticism--who won't like it. The criticism will offend some members. I had thought that Tim Brown was getting too much criticism a while back (although I certainly wasn't offended by it) and started a thread to that effect, but my point wasn't that the criticism was insulting or inappropriate, or in any way, shape, or form, over the line; it was simply that I wanted to present another view of his performance. I guess you're saying that professional writers (or bloggers), and I guess we'll have to include TV media personalities too, fall into a different segment of public figures, and, because of their connection with the team, should be cut considerably more slack. You may be right. But I'd be interested in others' opinions on this too.