Bias towards the Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

DanoT wrote:I gather that most of the Toronto Sports Network staff live in Toronto and they struggle with the fact the Argos have the smallest fan base in by far the largest city in Canada. So, imo it is not a bad thing for TSN to over promote the Argos or even the TiCats as the CFL needs more fans in southern Ontario.
Yeah...I suppose that makes sense. But this gets me back to wondering why Hamilton is building a stadium with about 6000 fewer seats than IW? I know, I know, there have been explanations for this on the other thread, but I remain flummoxed....
Mane
prospect

cromartie wrote:Bias is in the eye of the beholder.

That said, I think that one area that definitely needs better, and more forceful, coverage is for the league's lack of seriousness about blows to the head. Both the hit on Ianuzzi and the earlier hit on Pierce were done with intent to injure in the head area and warranted game suspensions. Instead, they received undisclosed fines. With all of the attention being paid to concussion safety on both sides of the border, the league's lack of discipline in this area is inexcusable and for TSN to just sweep it under the rug, and in particular Suitor's blowing off the Ianuzzi hit, is unacceptable.
I was really dissapointed with the remarks made by Suitor after the Ianuzzi hit to the head. Why he tried to defend that really dangerous play was beyond me. I posted on the TSN website the next day with a fairly tame post but the moderator did not allow my post. Bit of circle the wagons syndrome! In regards to the tv coverage in general I think that they do a pretty poor job during the game and of course unlike many other stations there is no post game coverage at all.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Mane wrote:
cromartie wrote:Bias is in the eye of the beholder.

That said, I think that one area that definitely needs better, and more forceful, coverage is for the league's lack of seriousness about blows to the head. Both the hit on Ianuzzi and the earlier hit on Pierce were done with intent to injure in the head area and warranted game suspensions. Instead, they received undisclosed fines. With all of the attention being paid to concussion safety on both sides of the border, the league's lack of discipline in this area is inexcusable and for TSN to just sweep it under the rug, and in particular Suitor's blowing off the Ianuzzi hit, is unacceptable.
I was really dissapointed with the remarks made by Suitor after the Ianuzzi hit to the head. Why he tried to defend that really dangerous play was beyond me. I posted on the TSN website the next day with a fairly tame post but the moderator did not allow my post. Bit of circle the wagons syndrome! In regards to the tv coverage in general I think that they do a pretty poor job during the game and of course unlike many other stations there is no post game coverage at all.
I wouldn't go quite that far. It's true that the game broadcast usually signs off right after the final gun but they often go straight into Sports Centre and intersperse some PG coverage therein, including a game highlights package (which I believe is usually the very first thing they show on Sports Centre in such a situation), player and coach interviews/comments, panel discussion and a wrap from the PxP/colour team. I will grant you it isn't a true PG show but anyway this is another reason I usually just listen to the much deeper coverage on 1410 (not just PG but during) even when I'm watching at home.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
South Pender
Legend

Mane wrote:I posted on the TSN website the next day with a fairly tame post but the moderator did not allow my post. Bit of circle the wagons syndrome!
Is that right! Is that typical on the TSN website? To protect their commentators to that extent? Has anyone else been blocked from posting on the TSN site comments critical of the coverage?
ziggy
Legend

South Pender wrote:
Mane wrote:I posted on the TSN website the next day with a fairly tame post but the moderator did not allow my post. Bit of circle the wagons syndrome!
Is that right! Is that typical on the TSN website? To protect their commentators to that extent? Has anyone else been blocked from posting on the TSN site comments critical of the coverage?
I agree I posted that his tweets were belittiling of Lions fans especially the "to the dozen or so Lions fans relax, you won'' but the mods screened it out at TSN
Mane
prospect

I wouldn't go quite that far. It's true that the game broadcast usually signs off right after the final gun but they often go straight into Sports Centre and intersperse some PG coverage therein, including a game highlights package (which I believe is usually the very first thing they show on Sports Centre in such a situation), player and coach interviews/comments, panel discussion and a wrap from the PxP/colour team. I will grant you it isn't a true PG show but anyway this is another reason I usually just listen to the much deeper coverage on 1410 (not just PG but during) even when I'm watching at home.[/quote]

Have to agree on the team 1410 coverage post game as it is usually very insightful. Would be nice if the radio could sync the broadcast to the tv sound. I contacted them several times on this issue a couple of years back and heard nothing in reply. Surely if more fans could listen to the radio play by play while watching the game on tv it would attract a bigger audience. In the long run that would benefit advertisers as well
pennw
Legend

Mane wrote: Would be nice if the radio could sync the broadcast to the tv sound... In the long run that would benefit advertisers as well
Would be even better if they could develop a pause feature for the radio feed so us PVR users could co-ordinate a delayed radio feed to go with the delayed recording of the game . Never get to listen to the radio anymore since using the PVR , but at least I never have to watch anymore commercials . Of course this of no benefit to advertisers however , but i can live with that . :yes:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Mane wrote:I was really dissapointed with the remarks made by Suitor after the Ianuzzi hit to the head. Why he tried to defend that really dangerous play was beyond me.
I think that was just a case of an ex-player of a given position trying to see it from the side of one of his own. If I recall Stegall was the opposite chastising Webb for the dangerous play. I'd be willing to wager if Stegall had been a career DB and Suitor a career receiver their comments would've been reversed. Seems the commentary of all of them tends to lend sympathy to players of their old positions if something controversial comes up. Stegall's glasses are always tinted in favour of receivers, ditto Suitor when it comes to the secondary, Dunigan for QBs and Schultz for linemen.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.