What Do We Know About Joey Elliot?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MexicoLionFan
Legend

He has been 3rd on their depth chart for 2 years, and now he is the #1 guy off of a 400+ yard performance...

Did anyone see it? Is he a pocket passer? Did he run around?

The game this Friday is a short week for the Lions, on the road at the always tough Bomber stadium, and a huge revenge opportunity for the Bombers...once again it looks like our Leos are going to have to be at their best...hopefully Andrew Harris will be a little sounder this week, as we will need a better running performance than we got from the Sask game...not that last week was Harris' "fault" at all, but we must get more production somehow, someway...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I was really tired last weekend so I must admit to having a nap during the first half of the Bomber/Ticat game but that was by no means a reflection of the quality of play. I heard that Elliot threw at least three balls that could and/or should have been returned for interception touchdowns. I thought he looked okay out there with what I saw during the second half. Typical gunslinger type if you ask me. He is going to have his games like last week where he won but he'll have his other days were he'll toss multiple picks. He really seemed jacked during the second half and he led the Bombers to their second win of the year.

That being said, I think he's getting a much better test this week against the Lions. Fake it till you make it, probably won't work this time around. Elliot, if he's successful plays the Lions and then the Riders, so he's gonna either continue to show well or more likely IMO, have a bad day or two. If the BC defence plays like it has the past few weeks, the Bombers offence will not be getting too many chances. IMO, the Bombers are better than their 2-5 record but I'm not so sure they have found their long-term starting QB. He certainly has the right attitude but I guess its the recievers/linemen that will tell you how effective of a job he's doing leading.......
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I thought Elliot looked pretty comfortable for a newbie. Of course it helps if the opposition gives you 6 turnovers. Lion's D followed by back to back against Riders D will indeed be a true test for the young QB.
But since Bombers D isn't exactly chopped liver, the Lions will be tested as well.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Thanks guys, that is helpful info...I noticed in the stats that his 2 "Big" receivers made most of the catches, so I wondered if he kept throwing "jump" balls to them and let them make plays? Bottom line, if he tries to throw 40 times against the Lions, he is bound to make a ton of mistakes, and these tend to snowball in football.

Thanks again.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
ziggy
Legend

He threw three INT's that were dropped and a couple of others that came close to being picked. None of them were, which could be a result of , luck, poor defense, or in the case of the two that were close threading the needle? No denying he picked up a lot of yards last week, but he also took some chances that could have easily cost them the game. High risk high reward IMHO.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I've been having this arguement on the Bombers site for days. He had a very good game but against a very bad defense. Some posters seem to think he might be the future starter in Winnipeg and that he can walk on water.

Much too early to know whether he will become the starter or not. The Lions defense is going to be a giant test.

What I saw that I didn't like ( watched the game twice as a Bomber fan ) that gives me reason for concern.

1. Gunslinger attitude can be both a good and bad thing. Confidence is not always too far away from arrogance thinking you can do anything.
2. I had the impression he commited to the called play or the 1st read and got rid of the ball very quickly. While that was working, the near int's gave me the feeling he was throwing to that receiver regardless. So the feeling is that if he does that against a good set of DB's, he's going to be throwing a lot of int's.
3. He only scored 7 points in the first half. Bombers fans were irked when Brink wasn't pulled for bad 1st half performances, so why weren't they complaining he shouldn't have been pulled. If you only score 7 points in the 1st half, you will generally lose the game. Bombers were fortunate to be playing Bad Frank instead of Good Hank. Playing against the worst defense has to be taken into account.

It's not that I didn't see good things from Elliott. I did, but it's 1 game.

Bomber fans are jumping all over him to be the # 1 now. It's an unrealistic view after 1 game.

They aren't oo happy with me since I've suggested he probably wasn't the guy that should have won the Offensive Player of the week award. My vote would have gone to AC for play against a much better defense, or even C. Williams that nearly beat the Bombers by him self with 160 yards receiving.
Last edited by Blue In BC on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnHenry
Champion

I don't think Elliot "almost threw 4 or 5 picks". Many of those passes were looped over the defender who was in position to make the Int, but were unable to touch the ball.

Elliot is more of a pocket passer and doesn't have the mobility of Buck or Brink. He has the ability to stand back there and pick out his receivers down-field...but will he have the time against the Lions' ferocious pass rush? :ref:
ziggy
Legend

JohnHenry wrote:I don't think Elliot "almost threw 4 or 5 picks". Many of those passes were looped over the defender who was in position to make the Int, but were unable to touch the ball.

Elliot is more of a pocket passer and doesn't have the mobility of Buck or Brink. He has the ability to stand back there and pick out his receivers down-field...but will he have the time against the Lions' ferocious pass rush? :ref:
I don't think "many of those passes were looped over the defender" unless you consider the defenders having hands on them as being looped over them, as was the case of three of them IIRC. The fourth and fifth were more questionable, one where the defender tried to jump the ball but due to his drop back, lost the angle and came up too far inside the receiver. The fifth one to the the sideline was just over the head of the defender may have been planned but high risk none the less.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I have to concur with the others as well. There were several opportunities that the Cats literally let slip through their fingers. Squeeze a couple of those and shave off a couple of turnovers and the outcome of that game would probably have been different. Elliot did ok but it is going to be a very different animal he faces this week. He isn't going to get the 6 turnovers he got last week and if he commits to some of the throws he did last game, he is going to pay with this defence. So Bomber fans can be elated as they want, as Blue says, it was one game and when you really break it down, it wasn't the fabulous performance that some may think it was.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

What do we know about Joey Elliott?

Well, his middle name is "Preston".

So there's that.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Does anyone remember what happened to Mike Quinn in 2006?

Yep. Can't wait.
kcin94
prospect

Blue In BC wrote: 3. He only scored 7 points in the first half. Bombers fans were irked when Brink wasn't pulled for bad 1st half performances, so why weren't they complaining he shouldn't have been pulled.
because Elliot was moving them down the field most of the time but having to settle for field goals, or being just outside of field goal range. It's not like that's very good, but it was certainly better than what the offense looked like under Brink.

If you looked at the time of possession after the first half compared to the last three games, it's no comparison.
Rammer
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:Does anyone remember what happened to Mike Quinn in 2006?

Yep. Can't wait.
Matt Sekeres had his "tell me I'm wrong" and suggested that the Lions wouldn't allow more than 10 points once again vs the Bombers. I cannot tell him he is wrong.
Entertainment value = an all time low
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
cromartie wrote:Does anyone remember what happened to Mike Quinn in 2006?

Yep. Can't wait.
Matt Sekeres had his "tell me I'm wrong" and suggested that the Lions wouldn't allow more than 10 points once again vs the Bombers. I cannot tell him he is wrong.
One of my favorite moments in football was a shot of our secondary in the fourth quarter of that game all getting cups of water and toasting each other on the sidelines.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

kcin94 wrote:
Blue In BC wrote: 3. He only scored 7 points in the first half. Bombers fans were irked when Brink wasn't pulled for bad 1st half performances, so why weren't they complaining he shouldn't have been pulled.
because Elliot was moving them down the field most of the time but having to settle for field goals, or being just outside of field goal range. It's not like that's very good, but it was certainly better than what the offense looked like under Brink.

If you looked at the time of possession after the first half compared to the last three games, it's no comparison.
6 turnovers will probably win TOP with the extra opportunites. In the games Brink played the Bombers weren't forcing turnovers and they weren't pushing the opponent off the field. They were playing against a very bad defense while Brink played against better defenses.

At least 2 of those near int's were right in the hands of the DB's and could have easily been pick 6's IMO. Very lucky they couldn't catch. I won't expect the Lions DB's to be so generous.

As far as the other near int's, it could be pin point passing or it could be that the DB's took badd angles from poor starting positions. IMO those were case of both situations but also lucky the TiCats have bad DB's.

Again. This won't be a luxury the Lions will afford. Coverage will be a lot better.

So we'll see how more pressure and better coverage is handled by Elliott.

I expect he'll have some success and some failures. The question will be how bad the failures turn out to be and whether they end up as points against from turnovers. I also don't expect the Lions to give up 6 turnovers either.
Last edited by Blue In BC on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.