Mitchell 2-gamed suspended for dirty play

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cromartie
Hall of Famer

The lack of consistent enforcement on holding calls is a chronic problem in all levels of football. As a defensive player, this unquestionably must be frustrating beyond a certain point in time.

However, it does not excuse Khalif's actions. I do find it interesting that no one, neither the refs nor the other Eskmo players who had full view of what happened though, on the field, to come to Simeon Rottier's defense.

At a minimum, the optics of the situation are bad. At worst, Mitchell had the intent to injure. Regardless of the motivation, regardless of the chronically poor officiating relating to trench play, Mitchell's actions took place in full view behind the action, and resulted in an injury to a player.

As a result, a suspension and/or fine are warranted, if for no other reason than to ensure that other events like it don't take place in the CFL. 2 games was what was imposed by the league. Mitchell has the right to appeal, and he has, which is fine as well.

At the end of the day, an arbitrator will split the difference, and Mitchell will get one game, and a fine, and we'll all move on.

However, the root cause of the problem is something we can continue to discuss. Does Mitchell have a control problem? Is the officiating in reference to holding so bad that it leads to these types of situations? Is it both? How do we fix it?
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Personally I would be offended if the arbitrator splits the suspension. As I've asked, what does it then take to warrant a 2 game suspension?

If the arbitrator just reduces the suspension doesn't it show the league is not in control?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
At the end of the day, an arbitrator will split the difference, and Mitchell will get one game, and a fine, and we'll all move on.
I suspect that will be the end result
xon100
Starter

Blue In BC wrote:Personally I would be offended if the arbitrator splits the suspension. As I've asked, what does it then take to warrant a 2 game suspension?

If the arbitrator just reduces the suspension doesn't it show the league is not in control?
I do not think the league really knows what warrants a 2 game suspension and what warrants only a fine. While plays that require suspensions are rare a list of what warrants a suspension with video to show an example would help. While this would still be open to interpretation it does provide a guideline.

What warrants 2 games or more? Going after a player physically well after the play has been blown dead or coming off the sidelines to attack another player. Physically attacking an official.
Sometimes nothing is a real cool hand.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

xon100 wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:Personally I would be offended if the arbitrator splits the suspension. As I've asked, what does it then take to warrant a 2 game suspension?

I do not think the league really knows what warrants a 2 game suspension and what warrants only a fine. While plays that require suspensions are rare a list of what warrants a suspension with video to show an example would help. While this would still be open to interpretation it does provide a guideline.

What warrants 2 games or more? Going after a player physically well after the play has been blown dead or coming off the sidelines to attack another player. Physically attacking an official.
Players get into fist throwing, facemask grabbing brawls long after the whistle. Glen January for example. That ends up with a game ejection and a fine. I don't recall ever a suspension being handed out for that. Players have come off the sidelines to get into big brawls.

I don't believe things are as unclear as you suggest in this case in particular.

I'm on record. If the league can't support their position, then what's the point of making a determination greater than 1 game.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

This is not the players fault but the CFL not having their act together.

TSN panel on the 3 downs discussed this for 2 of the downs!!!!

This would be ONE if the CFL dealt with the appeal quickly.

It is not a good thing to have TSN on and on on this issue as it now will drag out to Aug 6th and beyond.

Not a great mark on the CFL.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Speaking of the TSN panel, where's Randorf? Haven't noticed him on there lately — is he on Olympic assignment or something?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:Speaking of the TSN panel, where's Randorf? Haven't noticed him on there lately — is he on Olympic assignment or something?
Yes. I think Climie said he'll be hosting 18 CFL games while Randorf is doing the Olympics.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Is there anything that Rod Black can cover the next 2 weeks ? Equestrian events perhaps ?
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Is there anything that Rod Black can cover the next 2 weeks ? Equestrian events perhaps ?
If you are on the wish list, make it next 4 months.
Entertainment value = an all time low
cromartie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Is there anything that Rod Black can cover the next 2 weeks ? Equestrian events perhaps ?
My vote is for an event that involves firearms or miming.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
If you are on the wish list, make it next 4 months.
MLB??
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Mitchelll learned nothing from this experience. He took another Rough Play yesterday. Rough play does happen but it's the type of play that I question.

It was a selfish, unnecessary, undisiplined, foolish situation taking that extra effort to throw the RB to the ground on a play that was dead.

BTW: Was that Reddick that took a late run head / helmet first shot at Glenn. How did the refs miss calling that as a RP and what was Reddick thinking.

I would label both of those plays as dirty and unacceptable as a fan of any team. Especially a team I support.
JohnHenry
Champion

Kahlif just pushed the guy and he goes flying, looked like he took a bit of a dive. Kahlif does has to play it smarter as the refs will be looking for him. Another $20 for the Xmas Fund.

Reddick's bump into Glenn was just incidental contact. Reddick wasn't even looking in Glenn's direction when they collided. No harm, no foul. Although not sure Glenn completed another pass after that? :wink:
ziggy
Legend

Blue In BC wrote:Mitchelll learned nothing from this experience. He took another Rough Play yesterday. Rough play does happen but it's the type of play that I question.

It was a selfish, unnecessary, undisiplined, foolish situation taking that extra effort to throw the RB to the ground on a play that was dead.

BTW: Was that Reddick that took a late run head / helmet first shot at Glenn. How did the refs miss calling that as a RP and what was Reddick thinking.

I would label both of those plays as dirty and unacceptable as a fan of any team. Especially a team I support.
The Bombers?