Game Day Thread Lions @ Eskimos, June 21, 2012

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lulay and Reilly to get most of the reps at quarterback.

Many D Linemen fighting for jobs with the Lions.

Who will be higher on the depth chart after tonight, Kierie Johnson or Nick Moore?

Will Tim Brown still be ahead of Anthony Stewart on the depth chart?

What position will Lin J Shell play?

Oh yeah, and the other team, who will "win" the quarterback spot?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The sixth spot on the D-line is the real roster spot up for grabs. With Keron Williams left at home, Rajon Henley, Brandon Jordan, Rodney Paulk, Brandon Peguese and Maurice Evans will get one final chance to claim what is likely to be one spot on the active roster and one spot on the practice roster.

I'm also interested in seeing how James Yurichuk handles the starting role as middle linebacker. We should see the No. 1 units for both teams throughout the first half, so it will be a good test of his raw ability, with most of Rich Stubler's special defensive packages being kept on the shelf.
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:The sixth spot on the D-line is the real roster spot up for grabs. With Keron Williams left at home, Rajon Henley, Brandon Jordan, Rodney Paulk, Brandon Peguese and Maurice Evans will get one final chance to claim what is likely to be one spot on the active roster and one spot on the practice roster.

I'm also interested in seeing how James Yurichuk handles the starting role as middle linebacker. We should see the No. 1 units for both teams throughout the first half, so it will be a good test of his raw ability, with most of Rich Stubler's special defensive packages being kept on the shelf.
It will be interesting to see who gets the active roster spot and the practice roster spot for the defensive lineman.

As you're aware, B.C. Fan, I expected Rajon Henley to have a great shot at the spot, going into training camp. However, you're training camp reports have indicated that Henley has not stoood out. Of the players battling for the active roster spot and the practice roster spot, who do you believe, going into tonite's game will get those two spots??

I'm not worried about Yarichuk..I think he'll be fine. We also will utilzie other options when Westerman goes into the rotation. We could see Bighill come in at times into the middle in that situation or Shell inserted into the backfield at safety and other postions. Stubler will have a number of packages and that could also include Bighill at middle and Yarichuk on the outside to give McKenzie a rest. Stubler has so many options and he will use them...his defense will be difficult to read due to the multiple packages, reminiscent of Dave Ritchie's defenses.

Its going to be exciting to watch out defense this year....hard to believe, for a time, after watching our aggressive, complex defenses of 2006 and 2007 we revertef back to the same four defensive lineman and a passive zone defense for too long a time period. Since the 1/3 point of last season we're back to rotation, packages, and using all our personell. Stubler is innovative as well as experienced.

I'm more intrigued by how our offence will operate this season....and whether we'll continue and enhance what was an excellent offensive system during our winning streak last season. It was an exciting offence to watch after so many seasons of predictability.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:As you're aware, B.C. Fan, I expected Rajon Henley to have a great shot at the spot, going into training camp. However, you're training camp reports have indicated that Henley has not stood out. Of the players battling for the active roster spot and the practice roster spot, who do you believe, going into tonite's game will get those two spots??
My impression from the first week of camp was that none of the import candidates stood out. Some of the recent coaching moves to look at new prospects have reinforced my belief. Going by Lowell Ullrich's most recent reports, Henley still seems to have an edge on the competition for the active roster spot. Earlier in camp, Maurice Evans seemed to be favoured by the coaches as a defensive tackle who can also play end. The practice roster spot is more interesting, since Rodney Paulk was moved from middle linebacker to rush end for the first preseason game and seems to be a an intriguing project who can be developed. Brandon Peguese is a wild card since he just arrived on Saturday and has had only four practices. A good showing in this game is crucial for him to stick around.
Blitz wrote:I'm more intrigued by how our offence will operate this season....and whether we'll continue and enhance what was an excellent offensive system during our winning streak last season. It was an exciting offence to watch after so many seasons of predictability.
LU made an interesting observation in last week's game-day chat. He said the offence seemed to blossom late in the season because new starters such as Andrew Harris, Shawn Gore, Akeem Foster and Kierrie Johnson started to undertand more of it. Arland Bruce also got more comfortable as the season went along. The offence wasn't changed, and not much has changed this year, according to LU, but the full season of experience should make a big difference for those who were just learning last year.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Blitz wrote:I'm more intrigued by how our offence will operate this season....and whether we'll continue and enhance what was an excellent offensive system during our winning streak last season. It was an exciting offence to watch after so many seasons of predictability.
LU made an interesting observation in last week's game-day chat. He said the offence seemed to blossom late in the season because new starters such as Andrew Harris, Shawn Gore, Akeem Foster and Kierrie Johnson started to undertand more of it. Arland Bruce also got more comfortable as the season went along. The offence wasn't changed, and not much has changed this year, according to LU, but the full season of experience should make a big difference for those who were just learning last year.
BCFAN ... This is a debate that will go on until the end of time. LOL

I would have to look it up, but I believe Jacques said he opened up the playbook. He gave his reasons for having a limited playbook prior to that.

No doubt there have been multiple formations and deceptive plays in the playbook all along, going unused. Part of this whole scenario is also philosophy. There may still be some coaches somewhere who believe in basic football, conservative football, without deception, without detailed game planning against specific opponents. Such coaches feel execution outweighs any attempt at deception, misdirection or surprise. IMO that was us. "Here comes the run up the middle. Here comes a pass to a slotback across the middle. Here comes our short yardage plunge. Stop us if you can." Well, defences were stopping us, stopping our predictable offence. Then we changed. We then kept defences off balance. They did not know what was coming, and they could not jam the plays.

There is some validity to the conservative philosophy also. Sam Huff, middle linebacker of the New York Giants back in the day, said they knew where Jimmy Brown of the Cleveland Browns was going to run the ball, but they could not stop him anyway. As long as the offence mixes things up, it is very hard for the defence to cheat. Is it going to be run or pass? Will he run middle, left or right, or reverse? Will the receiver hook or go? But IMO unpredictability does not just happen, it has to be put in place, and efforts made to keep the defence off balance. The same holds true from a defensive point of view. If you just line up the same all the time, running the same defence, you make yourself vulnerable. I certainly do like the unpredictable defence Rich Stubler runs. And I loved the unpredictable offence we ran for the last two thirds of the 2011 season.

But the debate will never end, and that is fine.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

What we saw more at the end of last season, and will see again this season (but not necessarily tonight) is an offence that gets the ball into the hands of its young playmakers (Harris, Brown, Johnson, Gore and Foster) in space, where they can use their speed and athleticism to stretch the defence hotizontally. Defences know what Geroy Simon and Arland Bruce can do. When they tried to clog the middle of the field and double those receivers, Harris had a field day catching the ball out of the backfield. That part of the offence blossomed late last year. I look forward to seeing more of it this year.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Great comments Blitz...I have been a little confused by the overabundance of personnel in the secondary (see Shell), and not sold on Yurichuck starting in the middle, but I think that you are right...Stubler is THE BEST at his job in the league, and with this selection of personnel I do TRUST that he will not have us weak in anyone area...and that multiple formations and personnels is very likely...so thanks for calming me down again.

Joe and BCFan, I think you are right in terms of the battles tonight to watch...DE, LB, KR/Import RB, and WR...Moore needs a big game over Johnson to get the nod...I'd like to see him do it...

I agree also that Lulay shouldn't play too long...I know the 1st team needs it, be he doesn't...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:Great comments Blitz...I have been a little confused by the overabundance of personnel in the secondary (see Shell), and not sold on Yurichuck starting in the middle, but I think that you are right...Stubler is THE BEST at his job in the league, and with this selection of personnel I do TRUST that he will not have us weak in anyone area...and that multiple formations and personnels is very likely...so thanks for calming me down again.

Joe and BCFan, I think you are right in terms of the battles tonight to watch...DE, LB, KR/Import RB, and WR...Moore needs a big game over Johnson to get the nod...I'd like to see him do it...

I agree also that Lulay shouldn't play too long...I know the 1st team needs it, be he doesn't...
On paper, it looks like a mismatch, and, on paper, it is a mismatch. But the funny thing is the "weaker" team is going to play hard too. They are going to tackle. They are going to block. They are going to pass and run. So upsets can happen. It is not as if the "weaker' team is automatically going to lay down and die.

The odds usually prevail however. And the superior team usually wins. Rarely have I seen a team that looks so superior as our present Lions. Let's hope they put it all out there on the field, even in preseason. :thup:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: ...
I noticed how you put "win" in the post. Obviously don't know why but I'd like to take a couple stabs at it.

I think Joeseph will be the starter over Jyles after this game. Perhaps because Joeseph makes fewer mistakes (INTS). Both these QB's are probably teetering near the end if the can not make a splash. For the sake of Eskimo fans (no, I'm not one of them but feel more empathy with them than Riderfans) I hope either Joeseph or Jyles WINS the job as oppossed to being the stronger of two poor choices. I even think its in the Lions interests all teams do better than we have. There really has been a weak western link for quite a few seasons now. I loved the days when the western team still crossed-over. Do football teams get much out of smashing cream-puff struggling teams? Or does it help them to have to struggle a bit before coming together to defeat? I'm not a professional football player or coach but I think the tougher way will only help the Lions in the playoffs when they come around....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
I noticed how you put "win" in the post. Obviously don't know why but I'd like to take a couple stabs at it.
LOL ... Well what I had in mind was that it was not much of a contest due to a lack of quality amongst the competitors. I suppose Nichols sounds like the most promising of the lot. Jyles and Joseph? I can't imagine many GMs or Head Coaches thinking "I would sure like to have my franchise's hopes riding on those two guys."
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
notahomer wrote:
LOL ... Well what I had in mind was that it was not much of a contest due to a lack of quality amongst the competitors. I suppose Nichols sounds like the most promising of the lot. Jyles and Joseph? I can't imagine many GMs or Head Coaches thinking "I would sure like to have my franchise's hopes riding on those two guys."
Yup, thats what I figured you meant.... hear what you are saying too!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
notahomer wrote:
I've always consider Eric tillman to be an astute GM but his trading Ricky Ray with no heir apparent is baffling
the-real-hugo
Rookie

TheLionKing wrote: I've always consider Eric tillman to be an astute GM but his trading Ricky Ray with no heir apparent is baffling
sometimes ego gets in the way of doing the right thing...
Blitz
Team Captain

First half highlights included an excellent opening drive by our Leos, capped off by a short touchdown pass to Geroy Simon, who slid into an open hole in the zone. Our offence bogged down after that until very late in the first half. Shawn Gore looked excellent again in his second season as a starter. Our running game was vanilla and we stuggled to open holes. Harris had 5 carries for 13 yards. I was surprised to see Norman with the starting unit at guard. With time running out in the first half Lulay hit a wide open Kierrie Johnson on a bomb and Johnson raced to the end zone untouched. Johnson also looked sharp in the first half. Lulay looked good most of the time but also missed a couple of throws.

Defensively, Rajon Henly got good pressure on our first defensive series and also had a sack in the first half but also dogged it a little on a Jyles scamper. Shell looked good on a blitz and Yarichuk was solid in the middle, outside of one goal line play. We shut down Jyles effectively...Edmonton only got its first first down on the last play of the first quarter... but our defense struggled more against Kerry Joseph, due to his ability to both run and pass.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)