Questions heading into Training Camp

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

As defending Grey Cup Champions the Lions have fewer question marks heading into training camp than the other teams. The questions maks for me are:

i) Is Mike Reilly ready to take the next step to be a backup to Lulay ?

ii) Have the Lions found a replacement for Brent Johnson ?

iii) Have the Lions found a replacement for Solomon Eliminian ?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:As defending Grey Cup Champions the Lions have fewer question marks heading into training camp than the other teams. The questions maks for me are:

i) Is Mike Reilly ready to take the next step to be a backup to Lulay ?

ii) Have the Lions found a replacement for Brent Johnson ?

iii) Have the Lions found a replacement for Solomon Eliminian ?
Will Benny be effective as a Head Coach?

Will he be anywhere near as good as Wally as a spokesperson for the team and league?

Will Benny and JC play attacking football or will they tighten up and play it safe?

Will Stubler flourish as DC under Benny and Wally?

Will we go 4-3 D all the way? Or mix in 3-4?

Just one NI D Lineman suiting up, Westerman? Do we have a plan to acquire another one before season opening?

Can Steven Doege become that guy? Eventually?

Leonard or Bighill for MLB? Or a new guy?
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I'll shake the magic 8 ball:

Reilly: Yes.

Brent Johnson replacement: Great guy, but in his later years he looked a bit human aside from occasional flashes, so yes.

Replacement for Sol E: Difficult to replace someone who was that good of a hitter, but Leonard should be about 80% or so of Sol E.

Benny's effectiveness as Head Coach: Yes. In a different way. Much more involved than Wally was and a bit more of a player's coach.

Being as good of a spokesman as Wally will take some time. Winning is the best spokesman.

This team will attack. Benny's biggest test may be breaking JC of his crutches if he reverts to them.

Stubler should flourish. He's in the right role.

Probably more 3-4 than 4-3 because:
the odds of finding another quality NI D lineman aren't good.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Biggest concern for me is whether Chapdelaine will listen to a younger Benevides.......or will his arrogance win out?........If he chooses to listen, we will see similar offense to what won us a cup in 2011.

As for 4-3 vs 3-4, I believe that last year proved that the 4-3 (with a six man rotation, 5 import, 1 non-import) made our secondary a LOT BETTER........even with the loss of Brent Johnson and Aaron Hunt, IMO, with Westerman, Henley, White, et al , we still have the horses to effectively do the same in 2012.
Lloyd
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I'm looking for both the GM and HC to flourish.

Rarely has a rookie HC had such a strong roster and coaching staff and I am looking for him to really assert himself.

Wally, with less day to day details to deal with should emerge as an even better GM than in the past. I look for him to become a an even better talent evaluator and a great capoligist. The team has already had a fantastic off season, at least on paper.

But, what is this I keep reading about Wally being a great spokesman," y'know", "at the end of the day", "y'know", I just don't know about that one.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
But, what is this I keep reading about Wally being a great spokesman," y'know", "at the end of the day", "y'know", I just don't know about that one.
Wally does have his pet phrases. When Wally arrived here in 2003, Dan Russell made fun of it. But pet phrases have nothing to do with the content of what he says, how he says it, and how he shows respect for teams, staff and players in the words he chooses.

He has always been a statemanlike representative of the Lions (and the Stampeders before that) and of the CFL itself. He supports minor football. He is gracious in his press conferences. He does have a personal, natural charm which helps him.

His press conferences are respectful and relatively generous with information.

He does not disparage other teams. He has largely been complimentary of his players, even when they have played poorly, or have been in trouble. One can see the respect he has earned from professional football people and much of the media.

"Great spokesman"? I'll stand by that.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
DanoT wrote:
Wally does have his pet phrases. When Wally arrived here in 2003, Dan Russell made fun of it. But pet phrases have nothing to do with the content of what he says, how he says it, and how he shows respect for teams, staff and players in the words he chooses.

He has always been a statemanlike representative of the Lions (and the Stampeders before that) and of the CFL itself. He supports minor football. He is gracious in his press conferences. He does have a personal, natural charm which helps him.

He does not disparage other teams. He has largely been complimentary of his players, even when they have played poorly, or have been in trouble. One can see the respect he has earned from professional football people and much of the media.

In short, he generally doesn't come off like John Tortorella when he deals with the media.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote: Wally does have his pet phrases. When Wally arrived here in 2003, Dan Russell made fun of it. But pet phrases have nothing to do with the content of what he says, how he says it, and how he shows respect for teams, staff and players in the words he chooses.

In short, he generally doesn't come off like John Tortorella when he deals with the media.
LOL That had crossed my mind when I was blogging. Tortorella could be a spokesman for Anger Management Anonymous, as the before picture. "Do you have days when you feel like this guy? Well then, Anger Management Anonymous is here to help."

He is almost funny, except it is Hell for the reporters. I expect they do not even want to ask him anything, but have to in order to get some kind of quote. It would be funny if at one of his "conferences" no one asked anything. He could sit there for one minute, no one asks, and he gets up and leaves. It is pretty much like that anyway.
Tighthead
Legend

WCJ, I can't believe Dan took cheapshots, and if he did I can't imagine him recycling his material. He is very fairminded and likes to keep his material fresh. #circustime #WHL #houseradio
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:WCJ, I can't believe Dan took cheapshots, and if he did I can't imagine him recycling his material. He is very fairminded and likes to keep his material fresh. #circustime #WHL #houseradio
Tighthead, back at that time, 2003, I used to listen to Russell. He did make fun of Wally and his pet phrases. He used to count how many times Wally would say "as it were," "at the end of the day," et cetera. (I have to admit we did the same thing in school with certain teachers).

Wally still has his pet phrases, but in my opinion has gotten much better in his public speaking. I think when he got here he was also kind of unsettled after the Calgary business with Feterik and Fateri, et cetera.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Tighthead wrote:
Tighthead, back at that time, 2003, I used to listen to Russell. .
So when exactly was Russell made aware that Vancouver had a football team. 2002?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Tighthead wrote:
Tighthead, back at that time, 2003, I used to listen to Russell. .
So when exactly was Russell made aware that Vancouver had a football team. 2002?
LOL Well, I haven't listened to Russell since 2003, but I do recall that he did not have much/anything good to say about the CFL or the Lions at that time.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Thank God. I'm surprised Bettman tolerate Tortorella's antics
cromartie
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: LOL Well, I haven't listened to Russell since 2003, but I do recall that he did not have much/anything good to say about the CFL or the Lions at that time.
With apologies to one of our fellow posters, getting off of 'NW, whose lead sports voice basically doesn't even acknowledge the existence of the league and is, at best, incompetent in discussing it on those rare occasions that he does, was one of Ackles' best decisions.