Grey Cup pumps $118M into economy

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

http://www.metronews.ca/vancouver/local ... to-economy

Excerpts:
...The B.C. Lions and Tourism Vancouver announced Tuesday that the 99th Grey Cup at BC Place last year generated “in excess” of $118 million in economic impact.
Out-of-town visitors made up 33 per cent of the fans that came out for the game and Raise the Roof Festival and spent $42.8 million over the four days that were measured.
According to the report released Tuesday, the Grey Cup employed 826 people.

Out-of-town visitors stayed in Vancouver for an average of 4.15 days and they spent an average of $726.04.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
donefron
Starter

thats my ugly mug in the warpaint w/ the article aaaahhhh goodtimes
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I figured that was prob one of the regulars on here! It was the front page story of yesterday's print edition.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
BCfanInDIXIE
Starter

nice get-up donefron. :beauty:
Founder of the Bama BC Fan Club :towel:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

so, the article says that out of town visitors accounted for 42.8 mill. If so, then where did the other 75.2 mill come from?

42.8 mil divided by 726 a person means that apprx 59000 people came from out of town. Is that realistic? How do they know where everybody came from.

So when does home town people exchanging money one from the other equal extra money into the economy? I can only assume thats where the other 75.2 mill comes from.
Last edited by KnowItAll on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
BCfanInDIXIE
Starter

hopefully one day my wife, son, and I will be able to contribute to the numbers. :beauty:

my son is a huge Leo fan...and he's only 5 months old. :yahoo:
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:so, the article says that out of town visitors accounted for 42.8 mill. If so, then where did the other 75.2 mill come from?

42.8 mil divided by 726 a person means that apprx 59000 people came from out of town. Is that realistic? How do they know where everybody came from.

So when does home town people exchanging money one from the other equal extra money into the economy? I can only assume thats where the other 75.2 mill comes from.
I suppose everything inluding the price of tickets is included in that total. Full stadium at premium seat costs. Restaurants and pubs full to capacity for a week, parking lots at premium charges.

In anycase, it was good for business in Vancouver whatever the revenue was during the Grey Cup.
Big Time
Champion

I also wonder about how they come up with these numbers. For example, are they deducting the amounts of money that would have normally been spent in a regular week by patrons at restaurants? Are they only looking at ADDITIONAL revenues or is this just a gross total of revenues?

Either way, there's no question that big events like the Grey Cup pump money into the economy. Vancouver has always been a big event now and the Grey Cup is probably Canada's biggest event. Glad I was able to be a part of it last year!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I was wondering about the 59k out-of-town visitor figure as well. The GC attendance was 54,313, and the article estimates 33% of game attendees were non-locals, or about 18.1k. So does that mean over 40k came to town even though they were very unlikely, barring a second hand purchase, to attend the game in person? I can see some people coming just for the parties during the preceding days, but wouldn't think the figure to be that high. There were probably some assumptions built into the extraction of these numbers that we haven't been told of.

I just found this link as I type so haven't reviewed it fully yet, but seems to be a more detailed article on the Lions' website here:

http://www.bclions.com/article/grey-cup ... 18-million
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Still whatever the number, time to start deducting that revenue from the Total cost of the roof. It always peeves me when people talk about the cost of the roof while steadfastly refusing to acknowledge the $$$ that are generated by the facility (inclusive of a roof).
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
BCfanInDIXIE
Starter

the roof is amazing. BC Place is the Jerry Land of Canada. :beauty:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Still whatever the number, time to start deducting that revenue from the Total cost of the roof. It always peeves me when people talk about the cost of the roof while steadfastly refusing to acknowledge the $$$ that are generated by the facility (inclusive of a roof).
while you are deducting the revenue over the years, dont forget to add the maintenance and other related ongoing or reoccuring costs as well.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:Still whatever the number, time to start deducting that revenue from the Total cost of the roof. It always peeves me when people talk about the cost of the roof while steadfastly refusing to acknowledge the $$$ that are generated by the facility (inclusive of a roof).
while you are deducting the revenue over the years, dont forget to add the maintenance and other related ongoing or reoccuring costs as well.
... which IIRC are lower than the maintenance costs of the old fabric roof.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
... which IIRC are lower than the maintenance costs of the old fabric roof.
I am talking about all costs, not just re the roof. Afterall, it isnt just the roof that is bringing in the money.