Who Will Be the New OC?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

pennw wrote:I would like to see Chap stay on , as noted already , continuity would be the best thing for the team . Learning a new system under some one from outside would really set back the offense . We don't know how well some one else's system would work for Lulay and company , could be good or could be a disaster .
Some of those other OC's mentioned already got fired for a reason . Baresi had one of the most anemic offenses in the league with the Bombers , why would we want him ? Bellefuelle was run out of riderville a few years back for the same reason . Berry's been run out of a couple of places too .
Chap on the other hand showed last season to be the best OC in the league . What ever the difference was in 2011 , we can only speculate , but he had to have had the ability all along in order to pull off what he did . Best wishes to him should he move on , but I'm hoping he's back .
Some of the new young coaches would be a good to keep on , but too soon for an OC position . Travis Moore maybe could be mentored under Chap should Chap stay and be an OC in the future , like wise Jarious could be transitioned into a coach too , but not straight into an OC spot .
I agree penw that it would not be best to have somone from the outside as our OC at this juncture...although at one time I believed we needed a coach from the outside to shake things up. Instead, things got shaken up inside after our 0-5 and 1-6 start and change happened internally. While Moore may be fairly green and Jarious is still our backup quarterback right now and has not been an assistant coach, who else do you go to if we go inside other than Moore. Dorazio is not a play caller. Bates has only coached the offensive line this season. There are not a lot of options and Moore would be the best option for OC if Chap doesn't return. I hope Chap doesn return.

In terms of your comments mexicolionfan..I agree that play calling was an issue in the past for Chap but scheme was also an issue. While Chap varied out of the spread offence at time he really was a spread offence devotee. He also preferred to run the zone read running play with its zone blocking constantly when he did call running plays. The problem was that defenses had ajusted to the spread offence because they had seen it a lot and our lack of an effective running game made it worse. We were mostly a pocket passing offence who couldn't pick up tough running yards nad we didn't keep defenses off balance.

This season, after our woeful start, we started to see the changes and those changes kept eveolving. In terms of the running game there was not only more of a committment to running the football but we increased our variety of runs using pitches, Wildcat direct snaps, shoel passes etc. We also went two back and tight end set most of the time on first down. In terms of the passing game we not only increased our motion but we really began to move the pocket more for Lulay. We began to use our tailbak more effectively in the passing game and not just either having him blocking or running swing passes but sending our tailback up field. We also ran quicker crososing patterns and we began to use the screen pass as well as use it more effectively. Heck, Chap even ran the football a couple of time on second and 10, which was never seen in the past.

JaquesBall was a very different. We still ran the spread offence but we were not stuck in it. We really went mutli-formational. Bu of all the changes Chap made the most important were how be began to combat the blitz, from using an extra lineman and back to quck misdirection plays to bootlegs to quick hitters to challenging vertically. The second huge change was the one made to our blocking scheme during our winning streak. To change from a zone blocking scheme, which we had been in for a number of seasons to a man blcokng xheme was huge. Lulay was the most sacked quarterback in the league for our first 7 games, under the same heat as all our prvious quarterbacks had experienced for many, many seasons.... and Lulay was the least sacked the rest of the way. The recipe to defense our Leos had always been to blitz us and that no longer worked and we burned teams often when they did it during our win streak and in the playoffs.

I hope JaquesBall is back..penw is right when he says Chap was the best offensive coordinator in the leauge to end this season. If not, the best move for us next season is not to go ba k to ChapBall or to go to a new offensive system but to continue JaquesBall, which we really only ran for 11 regular season games and continue its development. If Chap isn't back Moore is the best person inside that we have to attempt to do that.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I think, if we look at his body of work, you can't doubt the guy has grown as a coordinator overall. In 2006 he came up with variances on spread packages, particularly in the early part of the season that enabled the offense to excel, though he went away from that diversification as the year went on. An early 2008 trip to Montreal gave Jacques ideas on how to better use Stefan Logan and he was able to work those ideas into the overall game plan. What's happened with the team through 2011 have been denoted in great detail here.

This leads me to conclude that he is or can actually be a pretty astute strategic thinker, and that skill has evolved positively over time. His tactical thinking has been a deficiency of some significance historically, in my opinion. He's been a bit of a late comer in developing this skill set as a play caller, but the latter half of 2011 has proven to me that he learned a lot when his back (according to LU) was against the wall on it.

This combination of being a good strategic thinker, being somewhat autocratic and being perceived as a leader, engendering the loyalty of your players, a bit of stubborn ness and having prior CIS experience set him up nicely, in my opinion, for a CIS job.
Some of those other OC's mentioned already got fired for a reason . Baresi had one of the most anemic offenses in the league with the Bombers , why would we want him ?
Barresi didn't call the plays in Winnipeg, a situation I'd encourage you to read up on here: http://bit.ly/rBq0n2 . A lot of us remember a drastically different offense that adjusted well to JJ's limitations and this team's strength in running the ball in 2007. That was due in no small part to Jamie.

I'm not making any sort of endorsement for a replacement. If Jacques stays, I'm ok with that. If he goes to be a head coach in the CIS, I think that's great for him and he'll do well. All I'll suggest is this. Whomever the replacement is, if there is one, needs to have had previous significant strategic and tactical experience in offense, as this team has a new first time head coach whose interests and knowledge lie on Defense and Specialty Teams. He needs someone he can set and forget in this chair, and a first time OC, even if they are internal, is not going to fit that bill. Couple that with a core group of players who are peaking right now and have a legitimate chance to repeat in a weaker division and a veteran outside the organization who can come in and both tweak, not overhaul, this offense and mentor a successor is best suited to fill this role if JC elects to go.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:I would like to see Chap stay on , as noted already , continuity would be the best thing for the team . Learning a new system under some one from outside would really set back the offense . We don't know how well some one else's system would work for Lulay and company , could be good or could be a disaster .
Some of those other OC's mentioned already got fired for a reason . Baresi had one of the most anemic offenses in the league with the Bombers , why would we want him ? Bellefuelle was run out of riderville a few years back for the same reason . Berry's been run out of a couple of places too .
Chap on the other hand showed last season to be the best OC in the league . What ever the difference was in 2011 , we can only speculate , but he had to have had the ability all along in order to pull off what he did . Best wishes to him should he move on , but I'm hoping he's back .
Some of the new young coaches would be a good to keep on , but too soon for an OC position . Travis Moore maybe could be mentored under Chap should Chap stay and be an OC in the future , like wise Jarious could be transitioned into a coach too , but not straight into an OC spot .
You are forgetting that Chapdelaine was fired after only one season in Edmonton. People change; in Chapdelaine's case it took him the better part of 3 seasons..
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I don't trust Chap. He likely thinks he deserved the HC job as much as Benevedes. So if he's got a chip on his shoulder, is he going to be able to play the supporting role required by the OC or is he going to be trying to prove he would have been a better HC? I have no doubt WB had an intervention with Chap and likely threatened him within an inch of his job midway through the season. Even after things started to turn around we still got the occasional glimpses of Chapball. It really wasn't until the last 4 games of the season (including the Grey Cup) that felt convinced that Chap had changed his ways. He's a stubborn fellow, and I don't know if he can put his ego aside without WB breathing down his neck next season.

You see this happen sometimes in family businesses... the old man retires and leaves his two sons to run the business. Both are capable young men, but sibling rivalry gets in the way and without the old man to keep things in check the two boys run the business into the ground.
Blitz
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:I don't trust Chap. He likely thinks he deserved the HC job as much as Benevedes. So if he's got a chip on his shoulder, is he going to be able to play the supporting role required by the OC or is he going to be trying to prove he would have been a better HC? I have no doubt WB had an intervention with Chap and likely threatened him within an inch of his job midway through the season. Even after things started to turn around we still got the occasional glimpses of Chapball. It really wasn't until the last 4 games of the season (including the Grey Cup) that felt convinced that Chap had changed his ways. He's a stubborn fellow, and I don't know if he can put his ego aside without WB breathing down his neck next season.

You see this happen sometimes in family businesses... the old man retires and leaves his two sons to run the business. Both are capable young men, but sibling rivalry gets in the way and without the old man to keep things in check the two boys run the business into the ground.

I agree that the biggest concern with Chap, if he came back, would be how he would work with Benevedes. Its easy to forget that Chap left in 2007 because he felt that Benevedes was being favored over him by Wally. I mentioned the offensive coaches that have been released here in B.C. in a previous post because there didn't seem to be good reason to get rid of such talented people. Steve Burratto, doing a great job of guiding our offence in 2004 and working very well with a inexperienced Casey Printers is suddenly jettisoned to the spotters booth 2/3 of the way through that season and suddenly Chap, our recievers coach is down on the sidelines callng plays. Wally says at the time that Chapdelaine was not getting enough credit for his role in our offence. At the end of 2004 Burratto, who had been a coach on all sides of the football is gone, supposedly because he can't work well with Chap and Dorazio. Perhaps that was understandable that Wally wanted Chap, whom he had worked with in Calgary to take over. However, jettisoning both Steve Kruck, who had coached our quuarterbacks for years and also served as co-offensive coordinator in 2007 and calling our plays, is suddenly not good enough to coach our quarterbacks and Jamie Baresi, who had previosu offensive coordinator experience and even worked for free for us while living in a flea bag hotel, is not good enough to coach our running backs. I saw the key denominator in all these coaches being released as Chap (who upon his return in 2008 also had Kruck demoted...so he could call the plays from the press box and then we had Dorazio demoted from OC so Chap could take over as OC.

So, if I was Benevedes, on one hand, I would not be comfortable having Chap as an OC....sleeping through the night with one eye open...as well as knowing that Chap can be stubborn and difficult to work with. At the same time Chap has modified our offence into a successful JaquesBall offence...and the continuity of that offence would pay big dividendsfor 2012 and Benevedes has enough on his plate without dealing with a new OC.

cromartie thinks we should go outside if Chap leaves but I'm not sure who he would want us to look at. I do not like Marcel B. as an offensive coordinator...not imaginative enough for me not do I want Berry either. There are many Dickenson advocates on Lionbackers but Dickenson did not impress me this season in Calgary and looked like he was runnng a version of ChapBall there...stuck in the spread offence too much and not enough variety in the running attack either. Dickenson would be a long shot to come to B.C. anyway.

No one on the outside right now is jumping at me regarding the OC position. If anyone has an idea outside of Marcel B. or Berry or Dickenson I'd be interested to read your thoughts.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
No one on the outside right now is jumping at me regarding the OC position. If anyone has an idea outside of Marcel B. or Berry or Dickenson I'd be interested to read your thoughts.

Let us forget Dickenson then for a moment if you will Blitz...

Most everyone @lionbackers.com seems willing to overlook Jacques' perceived crimes and misdemeanors, along the way since 2004 though 2011, since the prize has now been won, and ours 'till new year.

Has enough water passed under that bridge for Steff Kruck to be welcomed back as Chap once was, or did Steff do some dirty to Bennevides we are unaware of, and by extension will Mike Benevides really be allowed running this, his freshly minted administration, or will it be GM Buono?

I once asked Bobby Ackles if he would allow the new coach of the BC Lions total control over football operations, to which he replied, and in print, "my history has never be one of meddling".

I wonder if GM Buono is willing to give Bene the same grace???
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Tighthead
Legend

Is Chap even officially gone?

Like the comments of Belize, above. There is a good chance JC doesn't like being subordinate to Benevides. That is human nature.
BurnabyJoe
prospect

Jarious Jackson would be an interesting choice for QB coach.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

BurnabyJoe wrote:Jarious Jackson would be an interesting choice for QB coach.
That would be a no brainer IMO. But I actually thought you were about to say this: Jackson would be an interesting choice for OC.

Which in my mind would not be far fetched IF he was done playing (not sure why he needs to be done BTW) and if he wanted to coach.

The Baresi survey in the Wpg Free Press suggests that Lapo tossed Baresi under the bus unfairly.

I do agree with a few other comments. The Stamps games I saw did not impress me with the play calling. I felt that hindered Burris and also pretty much put Joffrey Reynolds to pasture - all the time I kept thinking that there is no way either player got bad over night.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

I've said it before, but I would like to see Doug Nussmeier join the Lions in some capacity. I realize he has a pretty good deal as the OC at UW, but does he aspire to be anything other than an OC?

Fastest way to be a HC is a couple of successful seasons as a co-ordinator....at least in the CFL.

I would say no to CIS retreads like Bellefeuille or Danny Macoica. If we are seriously considering them, then why not dig up Charlie Taffe....ugh.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What do you see in Nussmeier that makes him a good OC candidate ?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I liked the job Steff Kruck did but that guy would not be returning as Wally tossed him under the bus after something like 5 years.

I am with those like Blitz who liked the new JC and his offense that took them to the GC win.

I used to feel that JC would get into ruts at times and not see plays that would change the game up. I also felt that he hated to run so much that if it was successful he 'd immediately stop what worked.

If he was capable of repeating that kind of work in BC next year, that might help boost his standing across the CFL. He still does not demonstrate that he has the qualities to be a good pro HC yet but neither has the new HC who we will only know how he does next year.

What gets these guys promoted is their technical and supervisory skills working as DCs or OCs but what gets them fired is their lack of conceptual skills and overall leadership. The HC is more like an executive now who now must lead and manage his managers but who first sets out a vision of what they want to achieve and what kind of team they will have and the environment (standards of conduct, performance). If a new HC wants to be the OC or DC and he is not like a Trestman he will fail. Lapo has done a good job as HC but still won't let go of OC and the players saw that. One said that when Buck called his own plays in the GC they moved the ball! Not high praise for the HC.

I kind of think that if JC goes to Bishops then he is done with the CFL. Not many move over it seems. Out of sight out of mind.

Not sure what kind of money is involved but that has to be a factor in the guy's decision making. At the end of the day it is about putting food on the table as much as doing what you love to do.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
MexicoLionFan
Legend

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:I've said it before, but I would like to see Doug Nussmeier join the Lions in some capacity. I realize he has a pretty good deal as the OC at UW, but does he aspire to be anything other than an OC?

Fastest way to be a HC is a couple of successful seasons as a co-ordinator....at least in the CFL.

I would say no to CIS retreads like Bellefeuille or Danny Macoica. If we are seriously considering them, then why not dig up Charlie Taffe....ugh.

For those that don't know Nussmeier's work at UW, you should get acquainted with it...he has turned a predominately running QB, into a successful throwing QB, and an offence that focuses on Time of Possession, to keep their Defence off the field...he understands the value of running the ball, but has never overburdened the position (even with a star), rather utilizing a lot of play action to help his transformed QB with easier reads...he has done a great job there, and would make an outstanding OC in BC...but I don't know that he would take it if offered...a couple of more years doing what he is doing at UW, and he would likely get a head gig at one of the smaller colleges in the area...

Great thought though...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Nussmeier is also making serious coin as UW's OC.
And Nussmeier is under contract through the 2011 season. Holt's addendum was signed last month and also changed some other clauses in his contract, notably that if he leaves during the last year of his contract he will have to pay back 25 percent of the last 12 months of his salary (this is a correction of the earlier post). There is also a provision that his salary will be reviewed each year (he has a base of $350,004 plus getting $300,000 annual compensation for "consultations, appearances and representation'' on behalf of the school.

Nussmeier will receive $300,000 this season (and apparently now next year, as well).
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Nussmeier is also making serious coin as UW's OC.
And Nussmeier is under contract through the 2011 season. Holt's addendum was signed last month and also changed some other clauses in his contract, notably that if he leaves during the last year of his contract he will have to pay back 25 percent of the last 12 months of his salary (this is a correction of the earlier post). There is also a provision that his salary will be reviewed each year (he has a base of $350,004 plus getting $300,000 annual compensation for "consultations, appearances and representation'' on behalf of the school.

Nussmeier will receive $300,000 this season (and apparently now next year, as well).
Doubt that he will give that up to return to the CFL