Say Goodbye to Chapball?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Luke
All Star

TheLionKing wrote:I won't shed a tear if Chapdelaine decides to leave. Not withstanding the improvement in playcalling and schemes after game 5, the fact remains it almost took his being fired before he made adjustments.
That is undeniable. He was stubborn to the point of nearly getting himself fired.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote: That is the definition of being stubborn to a fault. I wish him well, he certainly is head strong and I do think that his departure will hurt the Lions continuity. I also believe that JC is making a mistake, in that he would be a step closer to a CFL HC job if he enjoyed similar success with the Lions in 2012, and that is ultimately what he wants.
One person's head strong is another person's clear sense of vision. Bad for a coordinator, but a very good trait for someone looking to build a program. He's purrfect for the CIS. He'll do a good job at Bishop's.
Blitz
Team Captain

Grrrrrr....Chapdelaine is always killing me one way or the other!

I can see Chapdeleaine being very disappointed in not being appointed the HC here in B.C. and taking the Bishops Gead Coaching job in part because he is upset. However, if he makes that move, he will likley be kicking any CFL Head Coaching positions in the future goodbye.

After enduring so many seasons of frustrating ChapBall I was thrilled to see the changes he made partway through this season and continued to build upon them. Now, finally, when he has made numerous adjustments in buidling a dynanmic, innovative offensive scheme he may run back to the college coacching ranks. Yes, job security would be better for him at Bishops but he was already a HC at the university level before and gave up that job security for the higher profile CFL.

Its hard to believe that I am saying that I don't want him to leave but I don't. However, as has been mentioned, Travis Moore knows our offence and would be a good choice. Dorazio would not be. He has had the co-offensive coordiantor position before and the offensive coordiantor position at least in title if not in practice and Dorazio is not a play caller and never has been. In fact the best improvement our offensive line has experienced and the best job it has ever done waa this season, even though we had more talented offensive lines in the past...at least in the interior of the offensive line...but I really believe that had a lot to do with Kelly Bates along with the offensive scheme changes that Chap made.

If Chap does leave I will try not to be pissed and wish him well. I think he has learned that having a strong vision is a good thing but sticking to something that isn't working when the talent is there to make it work and does that repeatedly, perhaps its not just a matter of execution but what you are trying to do.

Whatever happens Chap deserves a lot of credit for this season's success as he deserved the skunkflowers for some of the struggles we experienced in past seasons. No question he had the most exciting offensive in the league as we entered the playoffs and won the Grey Cup. Lulay, Simon, Bruce, and Harris received most of the accolades but Chap was the most important key to our offensive scucess this season. JaquesBall was a treat to watch and hopefully if Chap does leave, that brand of offensive scheme will continue in 2012.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:Grrrrrr....Chapdelaine is always killing me one way or the other!

I can see Chapdeleaine being very disappointed in not being appointed the HC here in B.C. and taking the Bishops Gead Coaching job in part because he is upset. However, if he makes that move, he will likley be kicking any CFL Head Coaching positions in the future goodbye.

After enduring so many seasons of frustrating ChapBall I was thrilled to see the changes he made partway through this season and continued to build upon them. Now, finally, when he has made numerous adjustments in buidling a dynanmic, innovative offensive scheme he may run back to the college coacching ranks. Yes, job security would be better for him at Bishops but he was already a HC at the university level before and gave up that job security for the higher profile CFL.

Its hard to believe that I am saying that I don't want him to leave but I don't.
LOL ... Well said, Blitz.
If Chap does leave I will try not to be pissed and wish him well. I think he has learned that having a strong vision is a good thing but sticking to something that isn't working when the talent is there to make it work and does that repeatedly, perhaps its not just a matter of execution but what you are trying to do.
If he leaves, there will no doubt be people who are doubly ticked off at his perceived disloyalty to the Lions' organization. I don't really care about that, but I do want him back. Jacques, the fans want you back.
Whatever happens Chap deserves a lot of credit for this season's success ...

No question he had the most exciting offensive in the league as we entered the playoffs and won the Grey Cup. Lulay, Simon, Bruce, and Harris received most of the accolades but Chap was the most important key to our offensive scucess this season. JaquesBall was a treat to watch and hopefully if Chap does leave, that brand of offensive scheme will continue in 2012.
Having had the chance to talk with the very fan-friendly Jacques casually a number of times, I was very happy for him with the great success of our offence this year.

Wherever he is next year, I wish him well. Hopefully it is here. But I guess there is a good chance he will get that Bishop's job. If he leaves, he will not be that easy to replace, at equal value.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Damn, according to LU there are already two reports he has accepted the job and it could be announced as early as today. Apparently his long desire was to return to a CIS head coaching gig. I wish him the best as well and I guess there is always some fallout with players and coaches seeking greener pastures when theere is now a Grey Cup championship on their resumé.
I was of the same thinking of Rammer that Chapdelaine could have hitched his offensive scheme to Lulay one more season and have plenty of doors open up for in 2013. But perhaps the timing is better for him to return back east with his children grown up.
I agree Blitz, if Travis Moore has a good grasp of Chapdelaine's current scheme then promote him. LU is already throwing around Marcel Bellefeuille and Doug Berry as potential candidates. But this is something that clearly isn't broken and needs fixing. I don't want to see a former HC take on the job and try do things his way to rebuild his resumé.
geroy_simon_081
Starter

I know he wasn't greatly popular due to his predictable and ineffective play calling, but the last 3 months of this season, the Lions had easily the most complex/creative offensive schemes. He did do a good job of that for sure. I think it would be nice if he stayed and we can keep the continuity since the offense was rolling this season, but if he moves on good luck to him.

I know at times it was frustrating, but I think overall he did do a good job this season.
Tighthead
Legend

Chap was very much Buono's boy. He and Benevides may not be particularly tight.

Sekeres had some interesting comments yesterday about how Chaps is not that respected around the league. Maybe getting some HC experience will get him closer to a CFL HC job.

Not sure what the Bishop's program is like but they were once pretty strong. Lots of money in their alumni and Chap may be able to elevate the program.
David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Damn, according to LU there are already two reports he has accepted the job and it could be announced as early as today.
Two questions for The Lion King:

What time are picking Jacques up tonight to take him to the airport, and where's your block party being held tomorrow? :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Damn, according to LU there are already two reports he has accepted the job and it could be announced as early as today.
Two questions for The Lion King:

What time are picking Jacques up tonight to take him to the airport, and where's your block party being held tomorrow? :wink:

DH :cool:
Downtown Vancouver after I renew my season tickets. :wink:
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Blitz wrote:Grrrrrr....Chapdelaine is always killing me one way or the other!

Its hard to believe that I am saying that I don't want him to leave but I don't. However, as has been mentioned, Travis Moore knows our offence and would be a good choice. Dorazio would not be. He has had the co-offensive coordiantor position before and the offensive coordiantor position at least in title if not in practice and Dorazio is not a play caller and never has been. In fact the best improvement our offensive line has experienced and the best job it has ever done waa this season, even though we had more talented offensive lines in the past...at least in the interior of the offensive line...but I really believe that had a lot to do with Kelly Bates along with the offensive scheme changes that Chap made.

Whatever happens Chap deserves a lot of credit for this season's success as he deserved the skunkflowers for some of the struggles we experienced in past seasons. No question he had the most exciting offensive in the league as we entered the playoffs and won the Grey Cup. Lulay, Simon, Bruce, and Harris received most of the accolades but Chap was the most important key to our offensive scucess this season. JaquesBall was a treat to watch and hopefully if Chap does leave, that brand of offensive scheme will continue in 2012.

Man, does this post ever express perfectly how I feel about Chapdelaine, and this situation...the one time that I actually want him to stay, now he wants to leave...as I posted yesterday, this will become a very important decision for Benevides...VERY IMPORTANT...we do not want a brand new system for Lulay...

I repeat...we do NOT want a new system for Lulay...if Chaps leaves, then promote from within and keep the continuity...hopefully NOT Dorazio, but someone younger, and more progressive...as Blitz said, maybe Travis Moore...but promoting from within means we will keep the same basic format...language...keys...these are important things that need to stay the same to allow Lulay and his OLine and WR corp flourish next year...no major changes thank you...

Thanks Blitz
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I for one am not that afraid or sad to see him go if in fact he is gone. Aside from 3 months this year, his play calling showed a frustrating lack of creativity coupled with an apparent lack of ability to tailor the offence to match the QB's skills and weaknesses. And it was that nagging characteristic that contributed to a shortened career for Dave Dickinson, got Buck Pierce off on the road to repeated injury and didn't do much for Travis until the second part of the season. As has been mentioned, he had to be almost fired in order to swerve from his usual offensive schemes and that makes me think we can do better. It is hard to forget the years of game futility because of 3 months of good results. The only thing that I might say in his defense is that I don' t really know if he was being impeded by Wally in some of his choices. If that is the case, then I can cut him some slack.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Chapdelaine will meet with Benevides to discuss his future, according to News1130:
News1130Sports News1130 Sports
Lions coach Mike Benevides will meet with OC Jacques Chapdelaine soon. The 2 will talk about his future.
Chapdelaine wants 2 year deal from B.C. Gm Wally Buono only gives assistants 1 year deals.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Chapdelaine will meet with Benevides to discuss his future, according to News1130:
Lions coach Mike Benevides will meet with OC Jacques Chapdelaine soon. The 2 will talk about his future.
Chapdelaine wants 2 year deal from B.C. Gm Wally Buono only gives assistants 1 year deals.
May not be typical Wally protocol but don't think a 2-year deal is an unreasonable demand given JC's years of the service with the club, the performance of the offence and overseeing Lulay's development. Some nugget should be thrown his way given what the DC got.
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Chapdelaine will meet with Benevides to discuss his future, according to News1130:
May not be typical Wally protocol but don't think a 2-year deal is an unreasonable demand given JC's years of the service with the club, the performance of the offence and overseeing Lulay's development. Some nugget should be thrown his way given what the DC got.
Good points, and if all works out for JC he may get that HC offer after one season anyways. Continuity is probably a very good point at this stage of the Lions development, and a returning JC would embody a large portion of that for Benevides, given his forte is on the other side of the ball.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

First major decision for Benevides. Will he make an exception and offer Chapdelaine a 2 year contract or will he offer all his assistants a 2 year contracts ?