2011 Grey Cup MVP - Travis Lulay; MVC - Andrew Harris

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Do you agree that the 2011 Grey Cup MVP/MVC awards were given to Travis Lulay and Andrew Harris?

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 18
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Agree?

Travis Lulay became the first Lion to win both league MOP and GC MVP in the same season. He completed 21 of 37 passes for 320 yards and 2 TD's. Not his best outing, just like Dave Dickenson in 2006, but enough to win the game. His closest competitors were Arland Bruce who had 5 catches for 73 yards and 1TD, Geroy Simon with 4 catches for 79 yards with no TD's, Kierrie Johnson for 2 catches for 81 yards and 1TD, and of course Andrew Harris for 10 rushes for 65 yards and 1TD plus a single small catch at 6 yards. For defense, Mitchell had a sack and McKenzie had an interception. Since none of those were extremely spectacular and performed significantly better than the others, I guess Travis Lulay became MVP by default and was the safest selection.

For Grey Cup Most Valuable Canadian, Paul McCallum was always a safe selection. He accounted for 16 points, but perhaps he was held to the highest standards and expectations with field goals so a single miss out of five attempts costed him the award and maybe after considering he already won the Special Teams award as well as 2006 GC MVC, they wanted to select someone else and with the first TD of the game by Andrew Harris, he deserved the award better.

And unlike 1994, there was no mistake this time and that both player awards were given to Lions.

And also unlike 1994, despite another Stanley Cup riot, the trophy presentation was done on the field.
Last edited by Robbie on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Lulay didn't dominate this game like he had the last couple, but his numbers were solid and he did a great job of managing the game. I thought Bruce might get MVP, but I'm fine with Travis. I do think if PM goes 5 for 5 he gets top Canadian. But Harris was also completely worthy. If Chap had not abandoned the run for nearly half the game, we might be looking at the top Canadian also earning MOP.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:Agree?

Travis Lulay became the first Lion to win both league MOP and GC MVP in the same season. He completed 21 of 37 passes for 320 yards and 2 TD's. Not his best outing, just like Dave Dickenson in 2006, enough to win the game.
Yes he looked a little uptight in the opening half with some of his throws sailing but his selection as Game MVP was a slam dunk no brainer. To put in better perspective what he accomplished, here's what QBs have done for passing yards against Winnipeg's defence in the last six games:

Hamilton: 153 yds
Calgary: 207 yds
Toronto: 113 yds
Montreal: 199 yds
Hamilton: 212 yds
Edmonton: 220 yds

You have to go back to Sept. 30 when Cavillo threw for 335 yds to beat Lulay's total in a championship game to boot. Who cares about completion percentage as it can be a very overrated stat if a QB isn't throw the ball downfield. He also took some hellacious hits tonight.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Here is Andrew Harris' Grey Cup Most Valuable Canadian trophy.

I have to say the trophy is rather plain. In fact, I shouldn't even call it a trophy as it looks more like a plaque. I wonder if he won anything else other than the plaque, unlike the days with the other sponsorships and the winners would get trips or trucks.

I remember very well after the 2006 GC, the individual award trophies presented to Dickenson and McCallum looked rather creepy showing a pair of small hands emerging and holding a football. Seeing a pair of small hands emerging from something looks like a scene from a horror movie.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
pennw
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
Robbie wrote:Agree?

Travis Lulay became the first Lion to win both league MOP and GC MVP in the same season. He completed 21 of 37 passes for 320 yards and 2 TD's. Not his best outing, just like Dave Dickenson in 2006, enough to win the game.
Yes he looked a little uptight in the opening half with some of his throws sailing but his selection as Game MVP was a slam dunk no brainer. To put in better perspective what he accomplished, here's what QBs have done for passing yards against Winnipeg's defence in the last six games:

Hamilton: 153 yds
Calgary: 207 yds
Toronto: 113 yds
Montreal: 199 yds
Hamilton: 212 yds
Edmonton: 220 yds

You have to go back to Sept. 30 when Cavillo threw for 335 yds to beat Lulay's total in a championship game to boot. Who cares about completion percentage as it can be a very overrated stat if a QB isn't throw the ball downfield. He also took some hellacious hits tonight.
Good points , he was under a lot of pressure for much of the game and had his usual determination to win .Made the key plays . Bruce got 70 some yds and a td . Lulay was our key player , who else should it have gone too ? So yes a worthy candidate for MVP .
Rodu
Champion

Had Paul M gone 5/5 for FG's maybe he would have gotten top Canadaian, then I would have batted 1.000 for my predictions, got every round right, and picked Lulay for mvp several weeks ago
Robbie
Hall of Famer

A side view of Andrew Harris' plaque.

And Travis Lulay received almost an identical plaque with only the engraving different - just like the CFL individual award trophies.

And just like Harris, I wonder if Lulay received anything else. If he did, I highly doubt it will be more than the cost of a brand new GMC truck when GMC sponsored the award.
祝你龍年行大運。
geroy_simon_081
Starter

Fitting because those two are among the brightest young stars in the CFL. Both are going to be very good for hopefully a very long time.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I think Archibald should have been in the running for the Canadian award. He played his best game tonight so far IMO and was a big factor in the win. Having said that, Harris was deserving and Travis most definitely was. In the end, the whole team played well including JR Larose who had a bit of a rough outing in the last game. This is a team to be proud of all around.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Whether the fans agree or disagree is totally irrelevant and won't change the results.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:I think Archibald should have been in the running for the Canadian award. He played his best game tonight so far IMO and was a big factor in the win. Having said that, Harris was deserving and Travis most definitely was. In the end, the whole team played well including JR Larose who had a bit of a rough outing in the last game. This is a team to be proud of all around.
I beleive the lions roster lists Archibald as an import, otherwise I would think he should have got the award.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Both very fitting choices. Congratulations.

Lulay just keeps growing. When I think of the Garcia comparisons by Wally I am starting to think this guy could be even better than Garcia and that is speaking volumes of the guy as I held Garcia in very high regard too. This Lulay is seemingly even more composed that Garcia and this early into his career.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:I think Archibald should have been in the running for the Canadian award. He played his best game tonight so far IMO and was a big factor in the win. Having said that, Harris was deserving and Travis most definitely was. In the end, the whole team played well including JR Larose who had a bit of a rough outing in the last game. This is a team to be proud of all around.
I beleive the lions roster lists Archibald as an import, otherwise I would think he should have got the award.
Ahh, that would be a problem. Thanks for the illumination. He did at least get one of the TSN Game Balls from Chis Schultz so I am good.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The three trophy presentations in this video:

[video][/video]

1. This is what was missing from the 1994 Grey Cup game.

2. At 0:59 you can see a dejected Buck Pierce brushing off a reporter who tried to talk to him. Totally understandable.

3. What did you think about Geroy Simon being the first to hoist the cup? I suppose long-time veterans should get to hoist it first just like in 1985 it was Al Wilson who held the trophy first. But I remember in 2006 it was a group presentation but again in that case it was Simon who was right in the middle and was closest to the cup.
Last edited by Robbie on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
祝你龍年行大運。
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I agree I guess with the choices. They don't stand out as WRONG. Certainly both could have gone to other equally deserving candidates, IMO.

My issue is the actual award themselves. I sat through this Friday night at the Vanier Cup too! You see a huge group of guys join together as a team and WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP!!! But you have the crowd and most of the players/coaches standing around waiting for the team trophy. The player gets his INDIVIDUAL trophy and then has to be interviewed about it. NAH, save it. Just give them the TROPHY! The MVP and MVC's are important but just announce them and give them the trophy in the dressing room later. Just my opinion.............