Lions 34 - Bombers 23 Grey Cup Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Apparently Travis Lulay played despite a groin injury, which was aggravated during the game. Apparently he said it was all he could do to get through the game. Awesome, Travis. The heart of a champion. :beer:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

This is by far my favourite Lions team. Even in victory, they were still gracious in their interviews and complimentary to the Bombers.

Congrats to them for a great turn around and well deserved championship.

Congrats to the Bombers as well. They fought hard and never gave up. No shame there whatsoever.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

12 wins in their last 13 games to become champions!!!! Amazing!!!! Most remarkable and memorable season since I have been following this team when I was nine yrs old in 1974. Bombers defence made it tough but still Lulay finishes with some big numbers. Glad to see we attacked and stretched their secondary from basically start to finish with every receiver involved unlike the conservative game plan in 2006.

Lots of unsung heroes tonight led by the play of Anton MacKenzie and Ben Archibald, two fo Wally's biggest free agent signings in the last three years. Tim Brown also was a huge factor in the return game.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

The 4th qtr Odell Willis dropped INT deep in our end was truly the turning point. At that point we were up by fifteen and it would have closed the lead to a much slimmer eight with over 12 minutes to play; not decided by a long shot, still anyone's game. But we got down to it after that and put together a six minute touchdown drive — one that included a successful coach's challenge on a play that was initially ruled an incomplete pass on second down and would otherwise have stalled the drive near midfield — that widened the gap to 22 with less than six and a half minutes left, and it was just too big a mountain for Winnipeg to climb after that. Signed, sealed, delivered.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Maybe a little premature, but will there be a parade like 1985 and in other championship cities? Or will there just a small celebration gathering on Tuesday just like after the 1994, 2000, and 2006 wins? I have a feeling it will be the latter.

And I'm quite sure that the Grey Cup will make an appearance on this coming Tuesday night's Canucks game, if not Thursday night.
It's almost unnecessary TBH, what with everyone in attendance today already celebrating, and arguably better to have that as the final visual of our 2011 season than a sparsely attended rally.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

watching Travis stand in and take the hits to get the pass off was pretty inspirational and says it all about the team leader. what a qb.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

The 4th qtr Odell Willis dropped INT deep in our end was truly the turning point.
Can I politely disagree? I think the actual turning point, at least in my mind, was when the Bombers punted on 3rd and a long 1 (early 3rd qtr). To me, with your offense struggling as much as Winnipeg had been, they really should have considered going for it there. That little tacit surrender was a primary turning point. When they needed to be aggressive offensively, they weren't. The dropped INT came later.
geroy_simon_081
Starter

So proud of this team. As a passionate sports fan, can you ask any more than this? Your team never once quit, your star QB plays well beyond his years even though he's injured and this team didn't have a single passenger on just for the ride. They all bought in. We should be very, very proud of what they accomplished and more importantly they should be very, very proud of what they accomplished. No one can ever take this from them, they will always be united as a team forever.
Anglophone
All Star

I was getting very nervous when I saw the lions go into "pass, always!" mode again. Thankfully, after a few two-and-outs they managed to put things together nicely and it ended well.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
The 4th qtr Odell Willis dropped INT deep in our end was truly the turning point.
Can I politely disagree? I think the actual turning point, at least in my mind, was when the Bombers punted on 3rd and a long 1 (early 3rd qtr). To me, with your offense struggling as much as Winnipeg had been, they really should have considered going for it there. That little tacit surrender was a primary turning point. When they needed to be aggressive offensively, they weren't. The dropped INT came later.
Wpg's offensive struggles might have fomented a lack of confidence by that point. I think I saw more punts today than Mario Lemieux's wine cellar.

Wpg needed a big defensive play — which they often got during the regular season — to get their mojo back. It didn't happen today.

But there's plenty of room for differences of opinion when you're among fans of a championship team. :)
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize and eat some crow. I apologize to Wally Buono, Jacques Chapdelaine and Travis Lulay. I said the game had passed Wally by and he had lost the room and his team was no longer playing for him. I said that Jacques was incapable of running an effective offence and wasn't utilizing his talents properly. I said that Travis Lulay made too many mistakes and folded at critical times of the game and cost his team victories. I have to eat some major crow for my comments earlier this season. In my defence I never hopped off the bandwagon but I had all but wrote the season off as a failure and that we had no chance to go anywhere. Shows what I know. I know that some members of the team browse this place from time to time so I hope you guys accept my apologies. This year was one wild ride, a roller coaster that I'm glad I stayed on despite the bumpy start. This victory is the most satisfying of all my years following this team, to have it happen at home is that much sweeter. Thank you Lions, congratulations and kudos to everybody on the roster!

Now, for the whole "Swaggerville" BS. The next time I hear that term it'll be too soon. Take your "swag" and shove it up your ass Winnipeg! I was getting sick of hearing "swag this" and "swag that" It feels so damn satisfying to shut them up with this victory. One of the Bomber fans sitting beside me flashed me a dirty look after the game was over and I was celebrating rather loudly, it was nice to be able to return a smile in return. :cool:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

joe kapp22 wrote:hmm, to early to think about the offseason, but do think we all are in for some major changes in the Team.
Yes, I think there will be major changes.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Swaggerville is now officially a ghost town. The major has been dethrone and the residents have left town
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

The game is being rebroadcast on TSN2 (ch 147) right now.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I don't recall hearing what happened to Jesse Newman. But what I do know is that, once he entered the game, I didn't hear a peep about Jon Hameister-Reis which tells me he did a pretty good job as Newman's replacement, unless I missed something?