2011 GC tv ratings in tough to set records

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

bc49
Hall of Famer

Make no mistake the 99th edition is going to bring in stellar viewership numbers as always but it has zero chance to become the nations most watched TV program for 2011 and is in tough to become the most watched GC game.

Nothing is going to touch the 9.8 million avg viewers who watched game 7 of the vancouver-boston stanley cup earlier this year.

The record GC viewership was set in 2009 with an avg viewership of 6.1 million who tuned in to see Montreal vs Saskatchewan.
That was a broadcasters dream as you had virtually the entire province of Sask tuned in plus the Quebec factor in a true east/west showdown.

This years Grey Cup faces some challenges in topping that 2009 number.
Without the Als in it the RDS numbers will be down, likely substantially down. And the east vs west format is a stronger draw than you might think - and who considers Winnipeg an Eastern team?
On the positive side the province of Sask might watch in mass numbers in hopes of seeing the Bombers get pasted.
I have no doubts Manitoba viewership will be off the charts.
And let's not forget the BC factor - the 3rd most populous province in the country should bring in some solid viewership.
Buonosjanet69
Starter

probably the highest GC ratings scenario would be a BC vs TOR game going right down to the wire, as those averages can be skewed by the peak numbers. Or a Montreal - TO crossover scenario hehe. Few things came together that year: close game to the wire, with obviously Quebec being a large market and Montreal being a marquee team.

Don't be shocked to see this game get very very high ratings as well, especially if the game goes down to the wire like the other one.
Buonosjanet69
Starter

I still think the biggest variable for numbers is how competitive the game is, moreso than the markets. This one has a large market team (Van) and also has the potential to be a close game, as many of them do.

Again, look for big numbers, and if the game goes down to the wire, then look for HUGE numbers.

On another note, how do you define large market in the CFL? Look at the NFL.. is Green Bay considered a small market, when its reach and appeal is pretty huge? You have the Packers go undefeated and that Superbowl will have huge numbers, and if the game goes down to the wire, then it would be massive numbers. They could play Pittsburgh, two comparatively small US cities and still rival the Giants-Patriots game if it too goes down to the wire.

The score itself will have a huge bearing on the tv numbers.

Also, Winnipeg hasn't won in 20 years, they have the longest current slump. There will be lots of eyes tuning in because of that too and of course from BCs end, because it is a home game and the way Van played at its new dome that many will be seeing for the first time on tv, they will get huge numbers there too. This is somewhat of a makeup final for the Stanley Cup debacle hehe.
Buonosjanet69
Starter

one last note: the tv audience is pretty fragmented these days as there are so many options now but all it takes is for us to text our casual friends if the game is tight and boom, they will tune in. Technology has separated us but it can easily bring us back together again in a flash!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Buonosjanet69 wrote:Also, Winnipeg hasn't won in 20 years, they have the longest current slump. There will be lots of eyes tuning in because of that too and of course from BCs end, because it is a home game and the way Van played at its new dome that many will be seeing for the first time on tv, they will get huge numbers there too. This is somewhat of a makeup final for the Stanley Cup debacle hehe.
That Wpg drought factor makes me wonder if the Lions will also have to combat the noise factor at BCP as neutral ticket buyers arriving from other markets may choose to back the underdog. I classify Wpg as an underdog here mainly on the basis of their weaker regular season finish and having to play the GC away from home, as well as on the drought factor — we've won three cups since that drought began.

TBH, I'd be backing the Bombers myself if they were facing any other team; mind you, that's also because of the Buck factor and his past with us. Anyone care to estimate how the fan affiliation of ticket buyers breaks down this year? I'm sure we'll have the largest slice of the pie, but will it be a majority, or just a solid plurality?

FWIW, I suspect that Lions fans (STHs) will dominate the lower bowl while visiting fans will more likely be found upstairs.

At any rate, unless and until I see it, I don't believe for one second that crowd sympathy on Sunday will be anywhere near as one-sided as it was in 1994 when we faced an All-American US-based team, with the game serving basically as a referendum on the future of the league.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
bc49
Hall of Famer

Good point on the bc place crowd mix. I think it will be 70/30 in favour of the Lions. Clearly an edge for the home team but you can be sure the Leos will be working on the silent snap count this week in practice. 14,000 or so underdog bandwagoners can make a lot of noise indoors. Plus consider the idiot factor that has the less educated Lions 'fans' trying to out-cheer the Bomber fans when Orange is on offence.
I am quite sure the SHHHH OFFENSE AT WORK notice will not be allowed for this game.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I agree it will be noisy when both teams have the ball. The Lions can't count on the crowd like they can with a home game but a 70-30 split would be good.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I agree it will be noisy when both teams have the ball. The Lions can't count on the crowd like they can with a home game but a 70-30 split would be good.
True, and it won't do much good for our offence to actively discourage it as they usually do, either; it would no doubt only encourage those choosing to root for Wpg.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
geroy_simon_081
Starter

I personally dont think this game will be as close as some suggest, so that will hurt the numbers. Ratings have more to do with the quality of the game than anything in my opinion.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I agree it will be noisy when both teams have the ball. The Lions can't count on the crowd like they can with a home game but a 70-30 split would be good.
http://cfl.ca/article/landry-noisy-b-c- ... -the-lions

Excerpt:
Noisy BC Place helps and hurts the Lions
November 25, 2011
Don Landry
CFL.ca

Make some noise, Lions fans. But be aware when you need to be at your most "leather lunged." Also when you need to use your "inside voices." That's the message from the dean of CFL coaches.

"For us the last five games have been spectacular. And the crowd and the noise has been a part of it," [Wally Buono] said.

Buono is aware of the great advantage that all that din can give his team, especially for a game as large as the Grey Cup. Yet it can be a cross to bear too, if the crowd's uproar goes unchecked.

"I think the fans are sophisticated enough to know that the B.C. Lions want them to be really, really, really noisy when Winnipeg's offence is working. When our offence is working we'd like them to sit back and enjoy."

If that's the case, quarterback Travis Lulay should have very few problems in that regard. But that didn't stop Buono from piping in loud crowd noise while the Leos' offence practiced on Thursday.

"Today we worked it for both units, because there's going to be noise no matter what."
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

We were speculating in this thread during the run-up to last year's happy ending, about how much of the Grey Cup crowd would actually be home fans. I just posted an article in this thread that says 33% of attending fans were out-of-town visitors so it looks like we pretty much nailed it on the 70-30 split.