THIS is why I love this team

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Part of me has misgivings about posting this clip because it's so incredibly personal. As much as I love this segment that TSN delivers, it sometimes feels like a violation of a sacred place for these guys.

But since it's available for all to see, I do want to share it because it's very moving and touching (although there are still some laughs!). Please play this through to the end. The game ball is traditionally handed out: Special Teams, Offense, Defense. But there's a special reason why they're delivered out of sequence.

This makes me proud to be a Lions fan. This is so clearly a team of character guys who are not all about personal glory. They're about each other. And remembering the priorities in life.

So....kudos to Geroy.

CLICK HERE

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Thanks for posting that. Very emotional.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Wow.
Mikemike
All Star

It brought tears to my eyes, man. Thanks for posting.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

This is why I said that the Lions would win the Cup 2 months ago...they got through all of that adversity because they stayed together as a team...they play like a family...even the special teams, which have had their moments of being anything but special, but they have always rebounded because they can't bare to let down the rest of the family...this is how champions are made...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Buonosjanet69
Starter

can't even open link cuz I'm at work.. but I very well know what clip you posted. Very touching and I'm glad the Lions and TSN shared that with all of us.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yep, that is what is really important in life. Having people you care about close by when tragedy hits.

If he Lions finish this season out the way we hope, wouldn't it be great if they let Bill R. be the first to hoist the Grey Cup.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Talk about some emotionally charged footage. Hard not to cry a few tears after watching that. We find out a little more of why Geroy Simon is not just a tremendous athlete but a remarkable person as well. Wally very emotional during his speech as well. Wonder what was going through his head in what very likely could be the last Western Final post-game speech of his career.
That was Wally's 19th divisional final (18 in West and one East) in 22 years of coaching. Simply amazing!!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:That was Wally's 19th divisional final (18 in West and one East) in 22 years of coaching. Simply amazing!!
Actually it was his 18th DF — not to diminish, still very impressive (strictly one of those wests was a north, but I suppose it's considered a de facto west since it happened to be Edm@Cgy). It's easier just to count the four out of 22 he missed:

1997, Ssk@Edm while with Cgy (lost WSF)
2002, Wpg@Edm while with Cgy (missed playoffs)
2003, Ssk@Edm while with BC (lost ESF crossover)
2010, Ssk@Cgy while with BC (lost WSF)

Rick Ball mentioned during the 1410 pre-game that 2011 was the first CFL season ever where none of the four DF combatants had played in the previous year's DFs. I would suspect that WB, as an almost perennial fixture at the WF since 1990, had much to do with that being the case over the last two decades or so.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Thanks for that sj-roc :thup:
Rammer
Team Captain

Lion Pride! :thup:
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
If he Lions finish this season out the way we hope, wouldn't it be great if they let Bill R. be the first to hoist the Grey Cup.
Yes that would be a very nice gesture.
David
Team Captain

Mikemike wrote:It brought tears to my eyes, man. Thanks for posting.
No kidding. Watching Billy emerge from the back of the room - pulling his shy son with him (the other twin) - then the group hug and hearing Khalif's words....man, I could hardly hold it together.

CTV showed it on the news tonight.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Amazing.

Football players have so much character. Such big hearts. Such courage. Such brotherhood.

Geroy could hardly get the words out.

Hard to hear Khalif or the others. I did hear: "We love you, Man." And, "We're all family."

Beautiful stuff.
Hutch85
All Star

Pretty powerful stuff, and hard not to tear up watching that. Thanks for posting it.