Grey Cup #100 Where to stay

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

snackdaddy
prospect

Call me a planer but..I am looking to book a Hotel for Grey Cup 100 in TO. Trying to figure out where to stay in Toronto.

Location is important as we will not be renting a car and want to be a relatively short bus/subway/taxi ride from the party zone.

We do not want nor need a high end business hotel...in fact we really want to avoid it. We are looking for the type of hotel that has that crappy free breakfast in the morning and if it is really classy it will have the basket of cookies or candies at the front desk.

Suggestion greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
cromartie
Hall of Famer

If location is all that matters, and it isn't sold out already:

Hilton Garden Inn 200 Dundas Street. Within walking distance of the dome. Plenty of restaurants along the way. The rooms are acceptable, the front desk staff is inept, the valet is an adventure in misadventures, but from a location perspective, it's only beaten by the Renaissance at the dome itself.

Beware, however. Specifically request a room that is not street side, as the hotel abuts a couple of nightclubs that will play music at obscenely loud volumes until 2 or 3 a.m.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Does that read like the ultimate mixed endorsement? Because it should.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

We had to go to Toronto last week for a family funeral. I grew up there and have always stayed with family on trips back there, but this time we decided to take a hotel room. We settled on the Days Inn Toronto East Beaches on Queen between Coxwell and Kingston Road. For those who know that area, calling it "Beaches" is a bit of a stretch - you can walk down to Woodbine Beach and Ashbridges Bay but the real Beaches neighbourhood is a bit to the east. It's a good enough area - right across from what used to be Greenwood Racetrack (the original Woodbine), and there's still an off-track betting office there. It's about 20-30 minutes by streetcar to downtown, about 30-45 to the airport $65 flat rate cab. Lots of restaurants within walking distance and there's a big LCBO store just down the block.

Through http://www.booking.com we got three nights for about $258 including taxes for a queen room and a passable continental breakfast in the lobby every morning. The rack rate on the card in the room said $145 which may be a bit much for a room like that (I've never seen a need to pay much more than $100 for a room I'm just going to sleep in), but it was what we want: clean, comfortable and quiet. It's 3-4 stories and no elevator so if you need that sort of thing you may want to reconsider, but otherwise I'd recommend it.
Last edited by Coast Mountain Lion on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big_Lions_Fan
prospect

got Grey Cup tickets already? How?

Renaissance, is connected with Rogers Centre, many hotels are in walking distance, Westin is not far.
depends on your budget, a lot of choices. Sheraton on Queen/University is pretty good. Fairmont hotel
on Union station is one of finest too.
snackdaddy wrote:Call me a planer but..I am looking to book a Hotel for Grey Cup 100 in TO. Trying to figure out where to stay in Toronto.

Location is important as we will not be renting a car and want to be a relatively short bus/subway/taxi ride from the party zone.

Mike