Home Playoff Game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

princetonfan
Rookie

I just read in the Province that our team could finish third!
How is that possible? We have the season series on the Stamps.Could someone explain this to me please?
But it really wont matter considering we will bounce back next game! :beauty: and finish #1
Passaglia
All Star

It's really not that complitcated: If the Stamps win their last two and the Lions can only manage a split, the finish two points ahead.... Or if the Lions lose out and Calgary splits, same thing. Tiebreaker don't mean squat if you finish behind the other team.
Passaglia
All Star

Will also add that based on schedule, Stamps are in tough. At Montreal then home to Winnipeg with both those teams trying to lock up 1st out east.
princetonfan
Rookie

Of course! Thanks. I feel a little dumb now. sometimes things are a little too obvious :bang:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Bears adding that nothing re: western playoff seeding has been decided yet; as far I can see, any one of BC/Edm/Cgy can finish in any of 1/2/3. Ssk in 4th is the only team locked in so far.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
joe kapp22
Legend

TiCats came hard at us last yr trying to keep us out of the playoffs, I'm not so sure the "rest the veterans" approach is still the way things are done any longer.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:Bears adding that nothing re: western playoff seeding has been decided yet; as far I can see, any one of BC/Edm/Cgy can finish in any of 1/2/3. Ssk in 4th is the only team locked in so far.
Almost correct, Lions winning their last two provides 1st, nothing else to consider if you ask me. :cool: However, Calgary can't really finish first as one of Edm or BC will win (tie is the exception to this, but very unlikely) this weekend and they don't have the tie breaker with either, so at best they can finish 2nd.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Bears adding that nothing re: western playoff seeding has been decided yet; as far I can see, any one of BC/Edm/Cgy can finish in any of 1/2/3. Ssk in 4th is the only team locked in so far.
Almost correct, Lions winning their last two provides 1st, nothing else to consider if you ask me. :cool: However, Calgary can't really finish first as one of Edm or BC will win (tie is the exception to this, but very unlikely) this weekend and they don't have the tie breaker with either, so at best they can finish 2nd.
I really like your first scenario. But if Cgy sweeps out, we split (win v Edm, lose v Mtl), and Edm loses out, then that's 11-7, 10-8, 10-8 respectively and seeded in that order.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
Rammer wrote:
I really like your first scenario. But if Cgy sweeps out, we split (win v Edm, lose v Mtl), and Edm loses out, then that's 11-7, 10-8, 10-8 respectively and seeded in that order.
My bad, wasn't thinking about both Lions/Stamps being behind the Esks....sigh. First scenario it is then. :cool:
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

To go back to the point raised by the OP, even if we win on Sat v Edm, that alone still doesn't clinch us a home playoff game. It could happen that both Edm & Cgy win out from there to finish with equal 11-7 records. Then we'd enter the league's final regular season game at 10-7, needing a win v Mtl to vault into 1st via the 3-way tiebreaker (which we DO own), otherwise we'd remain stuck in 3rd.

It's interesting that with a mere five games left among the three western playoff teams to determine their seeding, practically every scenario is still possible. The only order of finish that cannot happen is Cgy 1st, Edm 2nd, BC 3rd. Literally everything has to break Cgy's way to get them into 1st as I pointed out above, and if that happens, then we finish 2nd and Edm 3rd.

All barring ties, of course. :hypno: