Lions @ Eskimos -- Pre Game Odds and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

ducepot
Rookie

All the Esks need to do is ask Ricky Ray what its like to play Chapball and he will say *PIN YOUR EARS BACK and RUSH" Ray knows full well what its like to play under Chapball....and I am another that will not go to another Lions game as long as the Chap is still around :bang: :bang: :bang:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Key to beating the Schmoes is ball possession.. Run the ball, kill some time, put points on the scoreboard but more importantly keep the ball away from Ricky Ray. None of this going long and 2nd and out.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

the lions might beat edmonton...if they wear wpg jerseys.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
pennw
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:We have a chance to win.

Eskimos have a struggling O Line.

They have a bunch of new receivers.

They have signed Dobson Collins and Ryan Grice-Mullin. Yikes.

But Ricky Ray may just be able to get them to catch some balls.

We stopped the Bombers running game.

So we would seem to have a chance.

Or we could get blown out, if we tank, or if we get nervous, or if we wait for disaster to happen.

Safer money on the Schmos. Hopeful money on the Lions.
Or they might just have Ricky Ray run the ball down our throats again , due to lack of receivers .
Anglophone
All Star

JohnHenry wrote:Did I read that Robertson is doing the kickoff returns? What happened to Harris and Johnson?...and is Brown more injured than last week?
Whaaat? That is just bizarre. Robertson is a solid feature back when the O-line is doing it's job. But he doesn't have the explosiveness needed to be a returner.
almo89
Legend

Rick Ball was just on the Team1040 and was commenting on the predictability of the Lions offense. He said he heard from the field mics that on some occasions, the Bombers would yell out the Lions play before the ball was snapped. One in particular where Ball said he heard one of the Bomber players yell "Draw play" before the snap and next thing you know, Harris gets stuffed.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:Rick Ball was just on the Team1040 and was commenting on the predictability of the Lions offense. He said he heard from the field mics that on some occasions, the Bombers would yell out the Lions play before the ball was snapped. One in particular where Ball said he heard one of the Bomber players yell "Draw play" before the snap and next thing you know, Harris gets stuffed.
It's like high school coaching versus college. Or college coaching versus professionals.
David
Team Captain

almo89 wrote:Rick Ball was just on the Team1040 and was commenting on the predictability of the Lions offense. He said he heard from the field mics that on some occasions, the Bombers would yell out the Lions play before the ball was snapped. One in particular where Ball said he heard one of the Bomber players yell "Draw play" before the snap and next thing you know, Harris gets stuffed.
I couldn't believe the number of times Lulay ran play-action in the 3rd and 4th quarters when the Bombers (and everyone in the stadium) knew damn well we weren't going to hand off. In fact, the motion to hand off was just a waste of precious seconds.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
almo89
Legend

David wrote:
I couldn't believe the number of times Lulay ran play-action in the 3rd and 4th quarters when the Bombers (and everyone in the stadium) knew damn well we weren't going to hand off. In fact, the motion to hand off was just a waste of precious seconds.

I know! That was exactly what I was thinking. Everytime Lulay would make it look like he was handing it off, I knew that it would be play action. Play action is useless if you don't have a running game.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

There are no changes to the Lions' 46-man roster this week. The team flew to Edmonton today but I'm not sure who was left behind, other than Peterson.

Harris, Robertson, Lee and Brown are listed as running backs, in that order. Paris Jackson is listed as backup to Kierre Johnson at boundary wideout, which would likely make him the sixth receiver.

Depth Chart
notahomer
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:There are no changes to the Lions' 46-man roster this week. The team flew to Edmonton today but I'm not sure who was left behind, other than Peterson.

Harris, Robertson, Lee and Brown are listed as running backs, in that order. Paris Jackson is listed as backup to Kierre Johnson at boundary wideout, which would likely make him the sixth receiver.

Depth Chart
Thanks for the roster, BC Fan. I watched Kierre Johnson on a sportscast and he looks like a kid on Christmas eve. Really excited. Hope a couple months as a Lion doesn't wear him out mentally. What I mean by that is Caravetta was on his weekly Connected Slot last night. He was talking about how the teams confidence is just shot, like they are ready/waiting for the next fumble/stumble/screwup.
LFITQ
Team Captain

notahomer wrote: ... What I mean by that is Caravetta was on his weekly Connected Slot last night. He was talking about how the teams confidence is just shot, like they are ready/waiting for the next fumble/stumble/screwup.
I think that was very much evident at the Bombers game last week. For me the turning point in the game was the Andrew Harris 69 romp called back. From there it never really seemed to get going again. Add to that the coaching mistake with the too many men called after coming back from the 3:00 minute warning TV timeout and you could see the wheels coming off as plain as day. And it is affecting EVERYONE. From the players to the coaches and if the coaches are susceptible to it then there is no hope for the players.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David wrote:

That's why this is called Chapball. At this point in the game Chapper forgets some of his hand signals and keeps using the same ones.

Also, the other teams def., spotters and coaches have figured out Chapper's signals. They aren't dumb.

It is like baseball teams picking up the other guy's steal and bunt signals.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:
notahomer wrote: ... What I mean by that is Caravetta was on his weekly Connected Slot last night. He was talking about how the teams confidence is just shot, like they are ready/waiting for the next fumble/stumble/screwup.
I think that was very much evident at the Bombers game last week. For me the turning point in the game was the Andrew Harris 69 romp called back. From there it never really seemed to get going again. Add to that the coaching mistake with the too many men called after coming back from the 3:00 minute warning TV timeout and you could see the wheels coming off as plain as day. And it is affecting EVERYONE. From the players to the coaches and if the coaches are susceptible to it then there is no hope for the players.
I saw it again tonight in Greg Marshall. He was going APE. It seems as though these mistakes get him so fired up that more mistakes happen. I know, its wrong to say his reaction would then cause 'poor execution' (his words during halftime).

This is why a 'players council' may not be such a good idea. Leaders lead. I think the performances of guys like Stephen Black were what helped lift the Lions out of their funk last year. Am I saying Black did it all? No, I'm just saying he got some catches and TD's and those perhaps inspired his teammates. Black certainly had me believing 'we got another ace up our sleeves'. There is a hole, IMO, that is waiting to be filled confidence wise by this edition of the BC Lions. Who will be the guy or guys to fill that hole?