Canucks 2011 Playoff Run

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Henrik and Daniel Sedin -4 in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Roberto Luongo gives up 3 goals on 13 shots.

Tim Thomas faces more pucks and shuts out the Canucks.
Some of that was puck bounces, but lets be realistic Luongo had better go back to his peewee style in order to compete on the same level as Thomas.
Entertainment value = an all time low
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

hey - after 50 years of rootin for the Lions & Canucks tell me this isn't a familiar emotion. Hello old friend. We had a pretty good ride baby. For sure we'll gett'em next year.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The turning point was Aaron Rome's hit that made the injured Bruin their inspiration and it worked magically for them. Aaron Rome should be given a ring for that by the Bruins as until that point in the series it looked like a cake walk. The Bruin's second star has to to to the Luongo meltdowns in two games. The third reason for their success is the Canucks simply did not attack as a team nor make any adjustments that might have turned the game around. It is fine for the Sedins to take the rap but that certainly is not the story in a team game.

Last night the Canucks simply didn't have their A game together and none of the shots heading towards the goal were hard to stop whereas they had great success when the passes were happening that forced Tim Thomas to have to react to different angles. Boston D when in trouble would shoot the puck up the boards and hit their winger every time. The Canucks D had no wingers on the boards available. The shoot ins by Vancouver were easily covered by Boston with the D deep and back and beating the Canucks to every puck deep in their D zone.

There was no adjustment made and this stuff continued on all game. What got them to the top and worked well was not present last night. It is a team game and a team loss. This will go down as the worst last game in any Stanley Cup final game by a Canuck team. They just weren't there last night.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Can we get rid of that banner on this site now please? :puke:
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

They barely showed up. I'm (why :bang: ) re-watching some of it now and it's even worse today. For some reason they went into that game lacking confidence. They were in a state of mind were they didn't think they could exert their will or their way. Was it the injuries? Was it their goalie who had let them down so often? Either way we didn't see two teams at their best. Unfortunately.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Lionheart wrote:
notahomer wrote:Sure happy to Lucic hoist the Cup. O.
Why?
Probably because he's an East Van boy and played for the Vancouver Giants but I still hate him. :wink:
Exactly. I'm from East Van, I enjoyed watching him play for the Giants. I wanted the Canucks to draft him, they didn't. Of all the NHL teams besides the Canucks, the Bruins are the one I'm glad to see win. As a Vancouverite, why not be happy for a Vancouver boy getting to win the Stanley Cup in Vancouver? Its not his fault he's not wearing a Canucks jersey.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Lionheart wrote:They barely showed up. I'm (why :bang: ) re-watching some of it now and it's even worse today. For some reason they went into that game lacking confidence. They were in a state of mind were they didn't think they could exert their will or their way. Was it the injuries? Was it their goalie who had let them down so often? Either way we didn't see two teams at their best. Unfortunately.
Yes it was awful. One Bruin mucking around in a corner with three Canucks trying to get the puck off of him. Who comes out with the puck? The Bruin. If one guy wants it more than three, I'm not surprised. I know Luongo wasn't at his best (at least two of the goals were weak, IMO).

I personally would like to see consistency throughout the season/playoffs. Why do they call such flimsy penalties in the regular season and then theres a new standard of what gets called in the playoffs? That hit on Chara by Higgins was awful. I don't blame him because that was the standard set for a seventh game but high elbows to the head, isn't a penalty? I have the same complaint in football at times. What is a penalty in the first quarter should be a penalty in the fourth, too, IMO.