Canucks 2011 Playoff Run

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

It now all comes down to one game. If Henrik had scored in the first couple of minutes off a Kevin Bieksa shot who know what would have happened. Luongo giving up 2 soft goals didn't help with his confidence. Alain Vigneault not calling a time out to settle down the team after 2 quick goals didn't help.
Anglophone
All Star

Ugh... this is not a good feeling! Come on, Canucks! Don't fall just short again!
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I know its too soon to be talking about next year already but I feel the Canucks gotta keep Kevin B. And look to be sitting pretty with Tanev back there too. Regardless of what happens, there are lessons to be learned for future playoffs, IMO.

As for game seven, I was glad to see the Nucks pot a couple in the third. Vancouverites are going to get the pleasure of watching a team get presented the Stanley Cup at Rogers Arena Wed. night. Wonder what $$$ value tickets will go for right before puck drop?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

And if not, Luongo isn't going to find Vancouver a very pleasant place to play from here on in (if he ever did). He is going to be the poster boy for the Heimlich Manoeuvre.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The thing I am not liking is how much the outcome of the game depends on the refereeing, and how a team reacts to the refereeing. There is no way around it however. Teams have to play as much to the refs as they do try to play their own game.

Once again the Canucks had 3 penalty disadvantages in the first period. One coincidental penalty no matter.

It seems Burrows, Kesler, Lapierre, Bieksa and the Sedins are despised by the refs. And they may have earned it over the years. But it shouldn't matter. Calls should not be determined by the referees attitude to the player.

A whole sheiss load of penalties. It's not hockey. It's horrible.

Then the makeup calls against the Bruins in the second period. Just a joke.

And then 11 various penalties called in the third. Who wants to watch that crap?

Meantime, Luongo has serious issues. The Sedins are not good playoff players it seems evident. Kesler is hurt, so that it is affecting his game. Hamhuis, our best defender is out.

The whole thing is horrible.

And we still have a chance to win the whole thing next game. But I am having to really work hard to keep my emotional reactions in check.

The game of NHL hockey seems rather dumb at this point. It's kind of like Mixed Martial Arts with lots of weird penalties to be taken advantage of or to be avoided.

The Canucks are not built for this kind of game. The Bruins are. It reminds me of the Philly Flyers of the 70s with Bobby Clark. They knew how to play the referee game to their advantage. Having Bernie Parent now would help the Canucks.

Whether they win or lose, I would have to say Tim Thomas is the Conn Smythe winner so far. Even if the Canucks win, that would be so.

I shudder to think what downtown Vancouver is going to be like if we lose the next game. And if we do look like losing the game will turn into a penalty fest before the end. And if Boston is losing it will also turn into a penalty fest.

Do we play well next game? Do we play smart? Do we stay in step with the referees? Do we surmount our injuries? Does our goalie play well? Who knows?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

At least one idiot on canucks.com is suggesting they riot if the canucks lose.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Anyone catch the little weasel (Brad Marchand) punching Daniel Sedin 4 times in the face and still no penalty ? Unbelievable !
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

we've had more ups and downs than a new brides pyjamas. c'mon make it fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Anyone catch the little weasel (Brad Marchand) punching Daniel Sedin 4 times in the face and still no penalty ? Unbelievable !
Nothing to lose at that point and the Bruins knew, so they made yet another poke at our top players without a Canuck to stop it. Someone has to step up to the plate and get the donnybrook going.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Anyone catch the little weasel (Brad Marchand) punching Daniel Sedin 4 times in the face and still no penalty ? Unbelievable !
Nothing to lose at that point and the Bruins knew, so they made yet another poke at our top players without a Canuck to stop it. Someone has to step up to the plate and get the donnybrook going.
I am tired of goon hockey. I'd rather watch skating, passing, shooting. I kind of thought that type of hockey went out with the Philadephia Flyers of Bobby Clark's era. It seems it is alive and well in Bettman's NHL.

In such a game, the most important thing a team has to do is scout the referees, and test the waters. Take it to the limit. Face wash. Cross check. Slash. Board. If no penalty is called ... Whoo Hooo ... Open season on the Europeans and the ones who do not want to fight. If you ask me, it ain't hockey. It's Mixed Martial Arts on Ice.

Gillis built the Canucks to play hockey. Unfortunately the culture of the game is still goon hockey. The referees condone it. Scrums after every stoppage. Garbage. And the Canucks trying to play hockey, but not partaking of the free for all stuff. Might as well go back to goon hockey. 3 enforcers per team. Fights every night. Retribution. Scouting report: "He can skate, pass, shoot and check. OK, but can he fight?" LOL Mike Milbury and Don Cherry represent the culture of hockey.

Imagine if football games had scrums and face washes after every play. In baseball, when it happens once a year they call it a rhubarb or a donnybrook.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

screw hockey! its BS.

(unless we win)
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I remember a game when Messier was the Canucks captain. Someone from the other team had beat up or cheap shotted a Canuck after a goal had been scored. The faceoff was held at centre ice (duh) and Messier just dropped his gloves and pounded the poor sap across from him. Didn't even give the guy a chance to drop his gloves. But message sent and the crap stopped. It was my favourite moment of Messiers time here just because it took something so ridiculous to get the message across that you'd better leave the goon hockey off of my ice. Messier behaved like the ultimate goon and then everybody stuck to playing hockey.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

(copied from nhl.com)

Raymond suffered vertebrae compression fracture

Vancouver Canucks forward Mason Raymond sustained a vertebrae compression fracture in the first period of Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final on Monday and is expected to miss 3-4 months, President and General Manager Mike Gillis announced Tuesday.

Raymond suffered the injury on the game's first shift, when he got tangled with Bruins defenseman Johnny Boychuk. Raymond was bent at the waist when he fell back-side first into the boards.

Raymond stayed down on the ice for several minutes before being helped off the ice. It was reported during the game that he was taken to a hospital on a stretcher for further evaluation.

Raymond doesn't have a point in the series and has just 2 goals and 6 assists in 24 playoff games, but had been skating on the Canucks' second line, with Ryan Kesler and Chris Higgins. Jannik Hansen replaced him in Game 6.

nhl.com
Last edited by notahomer on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Definately think this was worth a suspension too. If Rome's hit is worth 4, who knows what this is worth but Boychuk should be done for game 7, IMO. Hope Raymond comes back okay next year.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
That to me indicates what's wrong with the Canucks right now. It's not "all for one and one for all"