2011 Grey Cup Halftime Show....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Ya know, every year it is the same thing. Some like the half time show, some don't. It will always be that way. BTO was fine. Better than the Grey Cups attempt to be "hip" with the Black Eyed Peas. The fact is that the Grey Cup Halftime show isn't enough to get new fans of the game any more that it is enough to turn off old fans. It is supposed to be some kind of showcase but you only get 15 mins of actual performance and it is at a time when people are getting up and down, going for food or to the washroom or whatever. I've said it before and I will say it again. Take the half time show for what it is, a throw in to go along with the game. Sometimes it is better than others, depends who you talk to. It isn't the reason people go to the game and for myself I wouldn't want it to be. If people are looking for a concert, they should buy a ticket to a concert. It will cost less, you will get more and you will be able to choose what you want to listen too.

I like BTO by the way but I had stuff to do during the half time show, so I didn't watch all of it either. Just shows the relative value I put on it. If I hear the "Tragically Hip suggested as a good choice for a halftime show anymore..... If you want to go new fine, but how is the hip any better than BTO?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

OK, just watched the half time show compliments of youtube... BT(-O) were really good!

Here's a funny little BTO moment I had years ago... I think it was about 1996 or 1997... I was producing some public service announcements at U.TV (now CItyTV) and we wanted Randy Bachman to appear in one of them. At the time he was living at his cabin in the middle of nowhere, with no phone or email. But I had the number for his manager (don't remember his name). When I called him I got his answering machine (what you kids call voice mail today) and his message started out with about 10 seconds of the riff from "Takin' Care of Business" followed by the guy saying "Hello, this is (whatever his name was)... I'm busy taking care of business, so leave a message at the beep and I will call you back".

I guess buddy didn't have too many other clients! Anyway, he did get ahold of Randy who did the PSA for me.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Sir Purrcival wrote:Better than the Grey Cups attempt to be "hip" with the Black Eyed Peas.
CFL always is ahead of the NFL aren't they. Black Eyed Peas will be the Super Bowl halftime show this year.

It's tough for the CFL to attract big international acts. Scott Ackles supposedly almost pulled the Rolling Stones in for 2005 as they were originally scheduled to be in the Seattle area on tour that same weekend. Then their tour got all switched up putting them back east somewhere. Keep in mind the objective is to make the club some money, not spend it all for 7 minutes of music. Toronto pulled off Lenny Kravitz who put in a great show in 2007. To get a big international act at a reasonable cost takes a lot of luck. You really need them to already be on tour in the general vicinity to be able to land them.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

As another BTO and football related aside. The first concert I ever went to was BTO's first concert back in Vancouver after making it big. It was kinda like the prodigal sons returning home to a packed Pacific Coliseum. Everything was festival seating. After waiting outside for 2 hours they finally opened the doors. Another hour or more later the opening acts started. CB Victoria IIRC opened and were pretty decent. Next up was the Charlie Daniels Band. As you can imagine after all the waiting nobody had any appetite for any "Devil Went Down to Georgia" or any other hillbilly music. Charlie's group was effectively booed off the stage. 16 or 17 years later I was at Super Bowl XXVIII in Atlanta. Who was the pre-game act for that Super Bowl? Yup. Charlie Daniels Band. All I could think of was my memories of them opening for BTO.
LFITQ
Team Captain

BT(-o) wasn't bad. Some of the people at my get together really enjoyed them, others laughed at them, and others just said "let's get back to the game!!".

Halftime entertainment be it at the Grey Cup or the Superbowl is really never going to appease everyone. But it is just an added bonus to the game itself.

As far as halftime in 2011 is concerned. Just so long as I am in the stands it will be a great hafltime show!!
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Hambone
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:BT(-o) wasn't bad. Some of the people at my get together really enjoyed them, others laughed at them, and others just said "let's get back to the game!!".

Halftime entertainment be it at the Grey Cup or the Superbowl is really never going to appease everyone. But it is just an added bonus to the game itself.

As far as halftime in 2011 is concerned. Just so long as I am in the stands it will be a great hafltime show!!
I think it was Paul Chapman yesterday who accurately attested Grey Cup and Super Bowl half-time shows are for the casual fan who really doesn't pay attention to the respective leagues until the big game is on. Entertainment tastes are eclectic. No act will ever satisfy more than about 1/3 of the audience, and that's the portion of the audience that even cares if there is a half-time show.
Lionsfan1976
All Star

I'll tell you what I want to see at halftime:

CFL Mascot Football...East vs. West...in a steel cage. Complete with Laser Lights.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I wanna see Dwayne and Goldburg and a number of other pro wrestlers and ex wrestlers come out and scrimmage without pads on. :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rammer
Team Captain

Someone enjoyed BT (-o) (credit LFitQ on the (-o))....

Entertainment value = an all time low
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Someone enjoyed BT (-o) (credit LFitQ on the (-o))....

oh there's got to be a story on this somewhere

be interesting to know, what happend to the guy, did R and T notice. Did they respond somehow???
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Rammer wrote:Someone enjoyed BT (-o) (credit LFitQ on the (-o))....

oh there's got to be a story on this somewhere

be interesting to know, what happend to the guy, did R and T notice. Did they respond somehow???
I'm going to say this was a set up... the guy filming the video spends a very long time on the dancing dude when there were plenty of other "distractions" right in front of him. A typical amateur video shooter will pan and zoom all over the place, typically not focusing on any one shot for too long. Yes, the dancing guy was funny, but there was a lot else going on as well. Then when buddy "falls", first he seems to throw his broom, then it appears like he is trying to roll down the steps. I think he would have stopped naturally much sooner if this has be an actual accident. Finally the person who shot the video does a great job of holding a steady shot while zoomed in (not easy to do) yet as soon as dancer dude begins to fall the camera gets all shaky, making it harder to clearly see if the fall is natural or not.

I think 2 people set this stunt up hoping to create the next big viral video and become "internet stars" for 15 minutes.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I just downloaded the clip and played it back frame by frame.... the initial fall is pretty convincing. He does not actually throw the broom as I thought he did, rather he trusts it forward which is what appears to make him lose his balance. The fall looks legit. However, what gives him away is that twice he comes to a stop and you can clearly see him swing his legs up and over his body to resume his summersault down the stairs.
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

I looked up Canadian bands on Wikipedia, how about:

Harlequin

Sweeney Todd:"Hot child in the city" and "Roxy Roller" that would be great! (Bryan Adams was in this band briefly).

Steppenwolf

Chilliwack

Prism

Barney Bentall

These would all be good choices. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of other good bands to.
Bighill is Badass
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Kenny Shields and Streetheart! That would be a helluva show! :rockin: :rockin:
Real women wear orange!!
Rammer
Team Captain

AC/DC Rocks wrote:I looked up Canadian bands on Wikipedia, how about:

Harlequin

Sweeney Todd:"Hot child in the city" and "Roxy Roller" that would be great! (Bryan Adams was in this band briefly).

Steppenwolf

Chilliwack

Prism

Barney Bentall

These would all be good choices. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of other good bands to.
How many of those are still playing? And after looking at the list, I think that the GC committee choose well. :wink:
Entertainment value = an all time low