Disappointing season or masterful rebuild?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:I expected an 8-10 season with a first round playoff loss and will be pleasantly surprised if those expectations are exceeded. And while I agree with you on the nature of the season, I don't get the impression that this was the objective from the outset (though, in light of how 2009 ended up, it should have been). Robertson and Printers were not guys you plug in if your intent was to rebuild. I'm glad it's turned out the way it has for all of the reasons you've mentioned. Shivers has done a great job providing talent.

But how to use that talent remains a problem. I am unhappy with the coaching staff and will be disappointed if there isn't some degree of realignment in the offseason (barring some sort of miracle run ala Wally in 2001). But it's not all bad, and I appreciate you banging that drum.
I con't see it as a totally disappointing season nor do I see it as a masterful rebuild. It was not a totally disappointing season because the second half of the season, overall was very successful. It was not a masterful rebuild because the plan changed so much from season start to the second half of the season. A closer look:

OFFENCE:

We came into this season losing Martell Mallett to the NFL, with Wally allowing him to go, with a year left on his contract, we chose not to bring Jason Jiminez back because he was unhappy with our offensive scheme, and decided to not bring Buck Pierce back due to his injury situation. We began the season with the same offensive scheme that Chap had used in the past, except that Chap stated that we would run the football less this season.

Offensively, we chose to go with free agents to fill the key positions that needed filling. We had signed Printers the season previous and named him our new starting quarterback for 2010. We signed Derek Armstrong to the import receiver position to compliment Geroy and we signed Jamal Robertson as our tailback.

On the offensive line, with Jiminez now gone at right tackle, we made a wholesale shift of our offensive line, deciding to move Sherko, our best offensive lineman, to right tackle, name Valli the starter to replace Angus Reid, used an rookie import at the right guard postion, and decided to go with two former defensive tackles to start the season as our left guard and left tackle. It was a disaster, especially for an offensive scheme that, in the past, even with a very good offensive line, usually led the league in giving up the most quarterback sacks.

The first half of the serason was a nightmre offensively. The offensive line was in constant flux and confused on blitzes, we struggled to run the football consistently, and our quarterbacks were under constant pressure, with little time to throw the football.

In that first half of the season we also used three quarterbacks. Printers tried to play with a torn ACL and torn maniscus and was not mobile. Lulay badly struggled in his first stint as our starting quarterback, Jarious went in for a game and a half and he struggled too, stil nursing his shoulder injury. No quarterback could have been successful during that first half of the season. Hampered by a porous offensive line and a scheme with no anti-bliz strategies, and without a running game, our quarterbacks spent most of the first half of the season on their backs or running for their lives. We also experimented briefly at the tailback position, benching Robertson for Davis, before deciding that Davis was more helpful to us at the punt returner position.

The scond half of the season, offensively, was a much better story. Reid replaced Valli, who got hurt, Sherko returned to his familiar guard spot. Instead of wasting an import at right guard we moved Olifoye to left tackle and McGrath, picked up from Edmonton moved into the right tackle spot. Our offensive line began to play a lot better in the second halof of the season. We had released Armstrong to go with Passmore. who got hurt quickly and was replaced by Black. Lulay started for the injured Printers, who was eventually released.

In the second half of the season, we also made some key and very long awaited changes to our offensive scheme. The key change was to release the tailback on swing passes rather than keeping him in to block. That gave Lulay an outlet pass against the blitz, something our quarterbacks in the first half of the season did not have the benefit of. We often used two backs on passing downs, with one blocking and the scond one releasing as a safety valve. We also used the occasional tight end set to improve our protection.

Offensively, this was not a masterful offensive rebuild. However, offensively, in the scond half of the season, with some improvements in our scheme, wtih the same offensive lineup, and an offence being aided by some excellent defensive and special teams play, we improved. Still our offence struggled for long stretches during games and also was not effective in the red zone. We go into next season with an aging tailback, a star receiver in Geroy who is in the latter stage of his career, and an offensive scheme that has finaly had some adjustments made to it but still needs more work.

DEFENCE

Defensively, it was not a masterful rebuld either, to begin with, but this is a defense that has really come together. We knew, going into this season, on defense that we needed to come up with replacements at four positions...defensive end due to the departure of Ricky Foley, at safety, due to the retirement of Barrin Miles, at linebacker, due to the fact that we had plugged in an over the hill veteran at that position the year previously, and at defensive halfback, where the incumbent had not been satisfactory.

In the off-season we signed free agent Davis Sanchez to play wideside corner, a Canadian, to allow us to play an import at defensive end and we also signed another free agent (Keron Williams) to play defensive tackle beside Aaron Hunt. Brent Johnson was to be relegated to spot duty as a rotational player but injuries forced us to start him. Crawford, our backup safety moved into a starting postiion. Phillips was moved to shortside halfback and Franks, a rookie, was inserted into the lineup from training camp at wideside halfback. We experimented at linebacker, first using McKenzie inside and Henderson outside, then inserting Elimimien at outside linebacker before settling on Elimimian at middle linebacker and putting McKenzie outside. Pittman stuggled at defensive end before getting injured.

Two key additions mid-season made a huge difference to our defense. David Hyland was outstanding at safety and corner in the second half of this season. The insertion of Kalif Mitchell into defensive tackle shored up the interior of our defensive line and Hunts return has only made it better.

It was obvious, even in the first half of the season that our defense was much improved and playing a different style of game. There have been three keys to creating a defense that is now amongst the league's best. The first was hiring Stubler, a former defensive coordinator who had built the league's best defense in Toronto. Stublers influence from Day 1 was obvious in our defensive scheme. The second key was Roy Shivers who pushed Wally in the off-season to finally sign some free agents and Keron Williams and Davis Sanchez have been great additions. Thirdly, we found a gem in rookie linebacker Eliminian and the mid-season additions of Hyland and Mitchell were differnce makers.

SPECIAL TEAMS

We went into this season recognizing that Ian Smart's days were behind him and needed to find a new exciting punt returner. However, with Davis obviously a talent at training camp we sat Davis on the practice roster for a good chunk of the first half of the season. However, when Davis was inserted into the lineup our return game became a threat. In the second half ot the season, our return game was a key to many of our victories.

Paul McCallum, who has been outstanding for us, has amazed with his field goal kicking proficiency this season and his directional punting continued to shine. Our downfield coverage has been excellent all season as a number of players have emerged as new leaders on special team coverage.

WRAP

We go into the playoffs as a very dangerous team. I wrote at mid-season that our defense this season was going to be special and it has been. Our special teams are also a strength. Offensively, we've improved but there are still a number of question marks.

In terms of the overall season, the first half was a bitter disappointment and was the result of poor decision making by our coaching staff in a number of areas. The offensive line mix-experiment hurt us badly. The lack of any anti-blitz strategies in the first half of the season was inexcusable. The playing of injured quarterbacks Printers and Jackson was also very questionable. We waited too long to get Davis into the lineup. We would not have been in the situation of praying for an Edmonton loss yesterday, if better coaching decisions had been made offensively in the first half of the season, as we lost too many close games. However, our offence has improved.

However, going into next season question marks remain. We still need a Canaidan receiver who is a threat. Wilson is not the answer and Gore got into the lineup yesterday for a couple of plays. We are not far away to the day we need to develop a go-to receiver to replace Geroy. Jamal Robetson is a 33 year old tailback. Chap's offence stil needs improvement--both in the running game and red zone offence.

Defensively, we stil need to find an import defensive end who can get to the quarterback and Franks is stil being picked on. However, things look so much better now than they did in mid-season. Perhaps the most credit should go to Roy Shivers, who has brought in a lot of talent this season, along with his push for Wally to change paths and sign some free agents last off-season. Was it a masterful plan?? No, it was anything but....however, the future sure looks a heck of a lot more positive than it did in August of this season.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Lionheart wrote:Having said all that in the aboves.. why was I left with the most frustrating angst? I was pissed off, disappointed, BORED... at half time I went to do dishes.. for me, that is almost reason to commit hari kari over. What a shame.

For our biggest win at the most important time I am left wanting somehow and I can't put my finger on it.
It might be all the questions, all the uncertainty. What if we play very poorly vs the Riders? I would not say we can be sure we have all that we need or want with this team.

Or that any changes will be made if they need to be.

Or that we don't back slide next year.

I'm kind of just rolling with it. As long as they play hard and entertain the fans, I am not too bad with it. If we can't contend then I just have to tune out to some extent.
WCJ, but that was one of the problems, they did not play hard. If you had asked someone who didn't know what was up which team needed the win, white or black they for sure would have said black. When the panel came on they agreed also. Where they nervous? Tight? I would say tight yes, but why? For me if a team goes for it, entertains and loses I'm good with it. I've enjoyed many games where my team has lost but felt really good about.

Anyways, I cannot add these three together: Masterful plan + Robert Jordan + Jonas Davis practice roster.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Oh, I should add this to be fair to the "rebuild" theory.

To the players on this team, your heart, desire, spirit, maturation (and that includes young rookies who had to grow up fast) I have to applaud you for the strength you've shown. Never has any one of you given up, let any negative thoughts creep in and lead you down the path of failure. It was always positive thinking; that in itself tranfered into a playoff birth. So, to the collection of minds and spirit on this team I'm greatful for.. great group of guys!

To all players whom might read this, cheers to you for that! :beer:
prj
Starter

Well said ... all of the above. It was a "tale (tail?) of 2 seasons" this year. I thought that what emerged was a group of guys displaying character and heart and for me, that is the key to any sport. They played well, even when they didn't, and played hard all the time.

And Travis is going to have a great career in the CFL!

For the remainder of the season, I fear we need some sign of a dependable running game. With that in place ...
Mikemike
All Star

Okay, fair enough. That's a good assessment of what's going right, but I think as others point out what's wrong is still no small matter. Lot`s of positives are awesome, and worth noting, but to my mind a few key negatives more than negate all the positives that Hambone mentioned.

#1 Aging O-Line which despite patch ups and bandaid-fixes is still way out of their depth compared to the rest of the league. What would you guys give of an O-Line like the Ti-Cats have?

#2 Better play calling on offence. Chaps is not capible, never has been, never will be, he needs to go. But I have my doubts that he will be fired; which will lead to more agony for us in the future.

#3 Our run game is currently inconsistent and non existent.

Trying to win with those three things being the case is like trying to play a round of golf at a professional level with only 1/2 of your clubs on hand. Baring a hot streak at just the right time, I can`t see much coming from the lions in the next few years unless these key issues are addressed comprehensively first.
pennw
Legend

Aging O-line ? Isn't the only older guy on it Sherko ? Reid was being phased out until Valli ( a younger guy) went down . Who else is 'old' ? Valli , JHM , Newman ,Olafoyae , Magrath and Sorenson are all relatively young guys .
pennw
Legend

2 guys on it are 30 , the rest younger .
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

The problem with this year's offensive line: unfamiliarity with each other, partly caused by inconsistent play and injuries. To lose 40% of your offensive line to the 9 game IL, and benching others because of poor play while other teams' offensive lines are jelling and becoming one. Then there was the airlift of Newman and McGrath in to help, while the purest rookie of them all, Jovan Olafioye ends up being the only one to start all 18 games.

Go figure..........
TheZeppo
Starter

CatsEyes wrote:Very well said, Dale! I have seen the transformation as well and am very excited about this team's future.

Be careful. People have hurt themselves jumping on and off the bandwagon so quickly.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The Lions' and Ti-Cats OL's are very similar in age. Hamilton's starting average age was actually slightly older than BC's; 28.8 versus 28.2. If you include the backups and reserves listed on the respective depth charts the gap is even wider; 29.1 for Hamilton vs 27.1 for BC.

Gauthier - 33
Dyakowski - 26
Hage - 29
Rottier - 26
Jiminez - 30
Hamilton's 2 backups listed on yesterday's depth chart Belton Johnson and Brian Ramsey are both 30.

Olafioye - 22
Hameister-Reis - 26
Reid - 34
Haji-Rasouli - 30
McGrath - 29
BC's 3 backups listed on yesterday's depth chart Newman, Sorenson and Randolph are 28. 24 and 24

The Lions OL is middle of the pack for age based on yesterday's depth charts. Saskatchewan, Hamilton, Toronto and Winnipeg are older. Edmonton, Calgary and Montreal are younger. Subtract Reid's 34 and replace it with Valli's 27 and BC would be the second youngest starting OL in the league.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Disturber
Champion

The Leos made some fine adjustments mid-seaon; however, the fact remains that as long as Chap remains the OC, the offensive talent this team has will continue to be squandered.
Go Lions!
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I really want to consider this a masterful rebuild... but just can't. Yet. Winning the last 3 games (including wins over Regina and Calgary) certainly makes me feel much better about WB at head coach then I did 3 games ago when we were coming off b2b loses against Winnipeg and Edmonton.

I really like what I see in this team right now. And other than Chap's continued sub par performance at OC, I am mostly happy with the jobs our coaches are doing. I really believe this team is a genuine threat to make it to the Grey Cup, and If the 2011 season was to start tomorrow I would be arguing that the BC Lions should be a favourite to win the west division.

BUT

This is the same team who crapped the bed against Winnipeg and Edmonton when they should have won both games easily and could have all but locked up a playoff spot 4 weeks ago. This is the same team that STILL takes too many stupid penalties (late hits, offsides, no end, etc.). This is the same team that took way too long use Yonus Davis at returning kicks, and still refuses to make him (or any running back) a major part of our offensive game plan. This is still a team that gives up too many sacks (I think Lulay was sacked 4 times in the first half on Saturday).

It's a great improvement over where we were even as recently as a month ago, but I can't call it a "major rebuild" just yet.
Blitz
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:I really want to consider this a masterful rebuild... but just can't. Yet. Winning the last 3 games (including wins over Regina and Calgary) certainly makes me feel much better about WB at head coach then I did 3 games ago when we were coming off b2b loses against Winnipeg and Edmonton.

I really like what I see in this team right now. And other than Chap's continued sub par performance at OC, I am mostly happy with the jobs our coaches are doing. I really believe this team is a genuine threat to make it to the Grey Cup, and If the 2011 season was to start tomorrow I would be arguing that the BC Lions should be a favourite to win the west division.

BUT

This is the same team who crapped the bed against Winnipeg and Edmonton when they should have won both games easily and could have all but locked up a playoff spot 4 weeks ago. This is the same team that STILL takes too many stupid penalties (late hits, offsides, no end, etc.). This is the same team that took way too long use Yonus Davis at returning kicks, and still refuses to make him (or any running back) a major part of our offensive game plan. This is still a team that gives up too many sacks (I think Lulay was sacked 4 times in the first half on Saturday).

It's a great improvement over where we were even as recently as a month ago, but I can't call it a "major rebuild" just yet.
Anything can happen in the playoffs...wev'e seen the third place Eskimos win a Grey Cup in 2005 and our own Leos and Wally's former Stampeder team win Grey Cups with 8-10 records in the past.

We weren't as bad as our 1-7 record indicated to begin the season. An experimental offensive line, a lack of a running game, no anti-blitz strategies, and quarterbacks who really had no time to throw, really hurt us in the first half of the season.

In the second half of the season, we blew the Winnipeg game but we also got a lot of breaks, esepcially in the last win over Calgary when Franklin dropped a wide open reception opporunity in the end zone and we wrere really helped in Hamilton with four penalties and a dropped punt on one fourth quarter drive and a video replay that went our way. Davis also made some huge punt returns in the second half of the season and our defense made some key turnovers. Our offence is still not very good, espcially at getiting the football in the end zone.

Next season will really tell us if this Leos team has turned the corner from a last place finish last season and a third place finish this season. I think a lot of things are in place. However, we'll need to find a pass rushing import defensive end who can get to the quarterback. We'll also have to find a way to get a Canadian to start somewhere else, if we want to play Hyland at safety,which we should. The question will be how to do that and one way would be to go with a Canadian backfield, with Harris and Messam but I doubt we will. We already have four non-import starters on the offensive line and Olilifye is too good to drop from the lineup. We could play three Canadain receivers (Jackson, Gore, plus a third) but right now we haven't developed Gore and Wilson is still miraculously starting. That does not seem likely.

We could add a Canadian on defense (its why signing Foley would have given us so many options we don't have now) but there is no Canadian ready to start on the defensive line nor at linebacker. Getting Hyland to start at safety will be a challenge, with the ratio. For me, the best bet would be an all Canadian backfield.

Next season will be interesting to watch..we are younger, Valli will be back at centre..Newman needs to play more..perhaps should be pencilled in at right tackle. We really have most of the pieces but how we complete the puzzle, with two or three additions will be critical.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
joe kapp22
Legend

Well, it still is a bit early to truly say if this was a masterful rebuild or disappointing season.

There is the 3 game elimination season to play, if we manage to beat the Riders at home, the answer is clear imo.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.