Any Doubters That Buono Has Lost Control?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

lbooper
prospect

I like chinese food.
Area51
All Star

Lion Guy wrote:
Area51 wrote:

Ricky Foley after he wisely walked away from this mess

By the reaction to your post it might be wise for you to do the same.

No I can't leave now, not when the show's finally starting. For over a year I've been saying Buono was bringing down the team and the longer he stays the worse things will be. Only to be met with much derision and hostility from others here. No problem though - - I knew it was just a matter of time. Just as it was with the gary Butler debacle. And now all the egomanicial behaviour that was based on Buono's personal vendettas rather than what was best for the team is finally being exposed in the unfolding train wreck. Go Lions Go!
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Mmmmm coffee's ready. Should I have a Nanaimo bar or a butter tart with it?
Real women wear orange!!
scrawnyPilgrim
prospect

From out outsiders pov, it looks like Wally no longer has the same passion to be a HC that he once had, sometimes he just looks completely disinterested on the sidelines.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

OK, butter tart it is! :beauty:
Real women wear orange!!
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

yall should go on a hunger strike till the lions win their next game :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://communities.canada.com/VANCOUVER ... a-few.aspx

Mike Beamish reports:
It has thoroughly been established that quarterback Casey Printers broke "The Code" by tearing a strip off wide receiver O'Neil Wilson in full view of fans and the TSN cameras Monday in Winnipeg. Casey paid for his gross violation of respect toward a Lions teammate with his job, when coach Wally Buono released him on Wednesday.
Yeah, Casey snapped and ripped his teammate and friend, O'Neil Wilson.
But did some of Printers' now ex-teammates have to compound the act of disunity by piling on Printers in media interviews following yesterday's practice in Surrey?

One Lion veteran, when asked by Province columnist Ed Willes if the quarterback had "lost" the locker room some time ago, said:

“He never had it in the first place,” the unnamed player "tersely" told Willis.

Okay, who's the source? Who is the brave individual who paints a revealing insight into Printers' lack of command in the locker room, and yet fails to identify himself? Casey's gone, man -- at least have the jam to stand up and be counted.
And then there's centre Angus Reid who, in the words of Sun columnist Cam Cole, "is never shy of an opinion." Truer words were never spoken.

"I think the real issue is when you have a guy that's paid to be your leader, and he's the one who ends up causing post-game problems -- and I'm putting the performance aside -- I think that's when you have to say, well, we can't have this guy as our leader any more," Reid opined.
Players don't usually trash an ex-teammate after he has been cut. Not good for the image of the team when it is done. IMO the team is in disarray, and it is a shambles.
Angus is to be admired for his glibness -- at least he's not hiding behind a cloak of anonymity, unlike another nameless Lion who described Printers to Cole as "finger-pointing and whiny."

Name, please?

Again, another player who violated The Code of accountability.
Really, Printers may be exactly the petty, self-absorbed individual portrayed by a scattering of anonymous and stand-up Lions. And those of us in the media who have found him to be difficult, unresponsive, dismissive of what we do for a living, take some satisfaction in his comeuppance. Jackals that we are, there was a sense of tearing away at the career carcass of Casey Printers after the news broke that he was no longer fit to play for the Lions.
Ironically, the guy who should have been the most aggrieved Lion -- Mr. Wilson -- felt the media was too hasty in its judgments of Printers and really didn't hear him out.

"I don't think it [Printers' release] would be weighed on one little argument," Wilson said. "We're family. And we're already over it. Casey is not just a co-worker to me. He's a friend. Its' not just a teammate I'm losing, it's a friend."
sasklionsfan
Rookie

dude not a good idea, for all we know deadmonton might beat us out for the last playoff spot :(
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

I think Area51 is doing us all a valuable service in deflecting our attention from the Thanksgiving Day Meltdown to the finer things in life like fine dining.

We should be thankful for many things however, such as the winningest Head Coach in CFL history, and the fact that Ricky Foley is an Argo.

For that alone, I say thank God.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

If Buono was looking for a scapegoat for Monday's outrageous behaviour by several Lions -- Khalid Mitchell (ejection), Davis Sanchez (25 yards in penalties after going berserk) or Yonus Davis (taunting) -- Printers proved to be a convenient and high-profile one. Bad time for Casey to reveal his true colours when the Lions bared their dark side as a team.
Scapegoat. Yes. Casey was a scapegoat. Teflon Wally has avoided the glare of the spotlight, while his team's disgraceful behaviour is discussed around the banishment of Casey Printers.
But shouldn't responsibility for the undisciplined, out-of-control, childish behaviour of the Lions rest, at least partly, on the coaching staff -- and the head coach in particular?

Wally Buono's team was an embarrassment to any Lions fan. Own up to it. And while you're at it, coach, inform any player who hides behind a veil of secrecy that that's not the way we do things around here.

Casey Printers may have broken "The Code." But he had lots of company on a team of Code Breakers.
Responsibility? Buono has put the spotlight and media attention on Printers, not on himself.

Embarrassment? Yes. Disgraceful behaviour by the team, during and after the game.

Dissing the departed player? Seems to be OK by the team's standards. Wally has set that standard.

Teflon Wally sails through the whole thing, unscathed. A masterful performance. Meanwhile his team is 5 and 9.

To me it seems like a rudderless ship. The atmosphere is an ethical abyss. The captain, however, has outstanding personal survival skills.

The three wise old owls who kept Buono on track are missing: Ackles, Ritchie and O'Billovich.
Blitz
Team Captain

Wally enjoyed a succesfful career overall, until recently, mostly due to good fortune, skilful hiring, and a tough no-nonsense approach. His regular season record is enviable..his playoff success with outstanding teams almost dismal.

In Calgary, Wally had three big things going for him. The first, was hiring Hufnagel, who created a very innovative offence, that Cortez also did a great job of taking over. The second, without a salary cap, was he had the money to bring in Doug Flutie and keep star players. The third was that he had Roy Shivers, at the top of his game, as his personell guy.

When Wally came to B.C. he had Bobby Ackles, Bob O'Billovich, and he hired Dave Ritchie. He also had Ackles be be able to bring in Dave Dickenson.

Now, Wally only has people he he hired...Washington, Chapdelaine, Dorazio, Myles, Moore, in his fold. If we hadn't hired Stubler our defense would probably still be struggling. Offensively, Chap has never been able to duplicate the work of Hufnagel or Cortez.

Wally is a terrible game coach. He's had two great personell guys in O'Billovich and Shivers, who have kept him stocked with talent, which he sometimes does well with and other times he screws up.

Now, without a great surrounding cast Wally is not able to teach his assistants how to be successful He's not a good x and o's guy or a good strategist. What he is skillful doing is playing the press/media game to deflect attention away from himself when he is not succesful and his record and stature gives him a lot of teflon as well in this area. He mostly rules by fear....someone will get cut as punishment for a loss or publically admonished.

This is not a football team that is not winning due to a lack of talent. Qutie frankly, its a mess and its been heading in this direction for a couple of years or more. Morale is poor, there is a lack of cohesion and predictablility, other than the predictablility of Wally blaming his players and changing quarterbacks.

It may get done yet, because there is a lot of talent on our B.C. Lions right now, but this ship needs a lot of work to get sailing again.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

So what you're saying to the Troll here Blitz is.....McDonald's? ???

Sorry gotta disagree. Up against a Triple O, a Big Mac comes up limp.
ziggy
Legend

Solar Max wrote:I think Area51 is doing us all a valuable service in deflecting our attention from the Thanksgiving Day Meltdown to the finer things in life like fine dining.

We should be thankful for many things however, such as the winningest Head Coach in CFL history, and the fact that Ricky Foley is an Argo.

For that alone, I say thank God.
I'm with you, hate blinds. There has to be little of the axe left to grind. Is this not the same guy who last year claimed to have inside knowledge of the Lions player having women up to their rooms prior to the Montreal final? Wonder where he gets his info? Bet the Argo's will to?
Blitz
Team Captain

Solar Max wrote:So what you're saying to the Troll here Blitz is.....McDonald's? ???

At least he'll be rollout at McDonalds???? :shock:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
The_Pauser
Legend

Blitz wrote:
Solar Max wrote:So what you're saying to the Troll here Blitz is.....McDonald's? ???

At least he'll be rollout at McDonalds???? :shock:
I'd suggest a reverse to Wendy's, but we haven't gotten that far in the playbook yet ;)
Roar you Lions roar!