Embarassing

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:I'm sorry but you people who are blaming Printers for this loss clearly don't know football. Ignoring the fact that it's difficult to come off the bench cold and light it up late in the game, there's also the fact that Printers wasn't the one taking penalties. Printers also doesn't play defense, special teams, or offensive line. But I'm getting the feeling that people on here expect him to do so.

Also,it's comical how much hate Casey gets on here considering he was playing well until late in that Hamilton game when he got hit by the fumble bug..which to that point wasn't something that we saw much of out of him. In addition, it's comical how people are calling for Jarious to come in when he put in by far the worst performance of any of our QBs all season in his opportunity. And finally, I can just as easily say that if Lulay had been more effective and put up more points in the first half of the game, we would have steamrolled Winnipeg.

Fact is, you can't really pin the loss on any QB tonight. There's a lot of things wrong with this football team and that was evident tonight. It's just frustrating to see people pin it on Casey when logic suggests it wasn't his fault.
no, he sure didnt lose the game.

but, he didnt win it and sure looked like crap out their. Didnt seem like he was really prepared to play.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
swervynmerv
Legend

Pauser, correct me if I am wrong, but did Jyles not come off the bench?
The_Pauser
Legend

swervynmerv wrote:Pauser, correct me if I am wrong, but did Jyles not come off the bench?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasnt it our defense that gave up nearly 200 yards in penalties in the fourth quarter?? Was it not our team that couldn't cover a punt with under 30 seconds left in the game? Was it not our team that decided to stop blocking for the QB?

Did you even watch the game? Or did you look at the score and decide to just blame Printers cuz it makes you feel good?
Roar you Lions roar!
beachboy
prospect

Agree with you 100% Pauser.....Anybody blaming this game on one person is laughable !! In fact let me laugh, hahahahaha.....Printers had a good drive in the 4th then guess what happens ?? Chapedelaine calls a throw instead of a run on 2nd and FIVE from the 30 which not only would have run time off but got us an easy field goal.....I could go on and on but there were a million mistakes !!!
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

For my money the best team won. More power to the Bombers. As for ourselves - Yikes!
Thats the way the collarbone crumbles.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Embarssing is as embarassing does
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
swervynmerv
Legend

Yes I watched the game, as I have watched almost every game for 25 years. Did Casey lose the game on his own, of course not, but as the guy that is making 200,000+ for being the starter, he is not getting the job done. He came in and looked like a "raw" rookie and when we needed that one play to clinch the game or win it, he was unable to win it. Jyles came in cold and rallied his team. The moment Casey came in, I felt we would lose.
ziggy
Legend

zark wrote:
ziggy wrote:Wally didn't take the stupid penalties. Wally didn't miss and easy int that went for a TD. Wally didn't throw an interception that ended the game. To me the team got up and thought it was in the bag. Professional athletes have to be more focused. Emotion cost us the game!
I don't think you ever played team sports...especially after saying that comment. Wow.
Well you would be wrong about that to. But to be fair to you which comment?
ziggy
Legend

Area51 wrote:
ziggy wrote:Wally didn't take the stupid penalties. Wally didn't miss and easy int that went for a TD. Wally didn't throw an interception that ended the game. To me the team got up and thought it was in the bag. Professional athletes have to be more focused. Emotion cost us the game!
You said it yourself - - the team got overconfident in the 4thQ, lost focus and emotion. If that's not the job of the coach to keep the players focused for the full 60 mins I don't know what is. It's as if Buono just stands back and watches the train wreck unfold. Why even have a coach if he can't keep the team composed? Then again it's not exactly the first time Buono's team has found a way to come from ahead to lose.
You're right, you don't. I guess he could have sat out Sanchez and a few others, but if he sat out everyone that lost their cool we wouldn't have fielded a team now would we.
Blitz
Team Captain

What a terrible loss.

Wally did the unusual and put a backup quarterback into the game with available time on the clock for a comeback. However, keeping Printers in for overtime made sense, in that he was just out there playing while Lulay had cooled down on the bench.

Printers didn't lose this game although he obviously didn't win it for us. The interception was the last thing Printers needed but before that, penalties and poor blocking had put him in miserable situations. Our defense had let down so badly in overtime, that we needed a touchdown to tie the game.

We should never have been in overtime. The mistakes in the fourth quarter and the penalties were inexcusable, as were the penalties in overtime. It was a complete collapse, with several players really blowing it big time.

This was a defense on the rise. I felt they were one of the two best defensive units in the CFL, going into this game. You really have to question the coaching on defense in the fourth quarter and overtime as well. We didn't play the style of defense that we had played so well for a number of games now. Hard to tell if it was a prevent defense but it sure looked loose.

If you want to look for players to blame there is a whole list of them, not just the quarterback, who could take responsibility and should.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
ziggy
Legend

No kidding Blitz, there is more than enough blame to go around and its simplistic at best to single out one person, be it coach or player. it was a total implosion of epic proportions.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

we are officially special.
Oiler
Rookie

swervynmerv wrote:Yes, many players made mistakes in this game that cost us the win. That being said, the buck stops at Wally who is GM. It was his decision to go with Printers as his #1.When he didn't work out, we were left with an inexperianced Lulay. Our D has improved, our Offence has got worse for three years straight.Name any team in the CFL who would not fire their coach/coaches with a record that has gotten worse over the past three seasons!
Edmonton
tigerrr22
Starter

Another key moment was with the Lions leading 32-22 and in control of the ball (against the wind) and on 2nd down they tried to throw the ball. That sack pushed them out of field goal range. Robertson was running the ball well and the clock would have kept on ticking. ( A first down quite possible on that play if they ran.) Or a 35-22 lead with the field goal says Winnipeg is too far back to tie the game. A simple chip shot for Sean Whyte from about the 30 if they ran the ball and took the sure three or gained the first down with the run.

I would have put Lulay back into the game for the OT as well. (Injured?) He was the QB that got it rolling in the second half. Showing that he can take half time adjustments and start to solve a defence after the break. Also Sean Whyte and Geroy Simon played like winners. Penalties killed this team again too. Sanchez lost it. (40 yards of penalties applied to the kick off after the Bombers made it 32-21.) That single was huge, too, on the kick off from the Lions 35 yard line. It looked like a nightmare for Wally as his team just unravelled. Only in the CFL could a 32-11 lead, after 3 quarters, see the team up out scored 36-3 after the 3rd quarter. The Bombers played like chumps too. (4 major fouls on #25) This game looked like divine intervention for them. I need to get back to work. lol

Dominic In Vancouver :dizzy:
Blitz
Team Captain

tigerrr22 wrote:Another key moment was with the lions leading 32-22 and in control of the ball (against the wind) and on 2nd and about 6 or 7 they tried to throw the ball. That sack pushed them out of field goal range. Robertson was running the ball well and the clock would have kept on ticking. ( A first down quite possible on that play if they ran.) Or a 35-22 lead with the field goal says Winnipeg is too far back to tie the game. A simple chip shot for Sean Whyte from about the 30 if they ran the ball and took the sure three or gained the first down with the run.

I would have put Lulay back into the game for the OT as well. (Injured?) He was the QB that got it rolling in the second half. Showing that he can take half time adjustments and start to solve a defence after the break. Also Sean Whyte and Geroy Simon played like winners. Penalties killed this team again too. Sanchez lost it. (40 yards of penalties applied to the kick off after the Bombers made it 32-21.) That single was huge, too, on the kick off from the Lions 35 yard line. It looked like a nightmare for Wally as his team just unravelled. Only in the CFL could a 32-11 lead, after 3 quarters, see the team up out scored 36-3 after the 3rd quarter. The Bombers played like chumps too. (4 major fouls on #25) This game looked like divine intervention for them. I need to get back to work. lol

Dominic In Vancouver :dizzy:
Lulay had hurt his finger!! It's also easy to forget that Lulay generated virtually nothing through the air for almost going an entire half without a pass completion to Geroy Simon and Paris Jackson much less even looking at either of the Lions top two receivers.The biggest play of the entire meltdown came in the final minute on special teams when we allowed a punt return by Jovon Johnson that set up a game-tying field goal. Printers interception was only the final play of a progression of blunders that led to the loss. We would have only gotten a tie, if we had scored a touchdown on that last series.

Momentum was lost in the fourth quarter, due to all those errors and penalties. Heck, we even got a delay of game penalty because Chap coudln't even get a play into Printers in time. Enough bonehead mistakes in the final quarter for an entire season.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)