Sean Millington 212 Yard Record Game Ball

Got em, Need em, Find em, Get em!

Moderator: Team Captains

BCLions4Ever
Rookie

I picked up a Wilson game ball that is alleged to be Sean Millington's game ball from when he ran for a total of 212 yards on August 15, 1997, a BC Lions team record that held until Sept 4, 2009. The ball has the details of the event (except the date) written on it, as well as S.A.M. #25 and a signature. It was accompanied by a dry-mounted 1996 signed poster (missing some of the important signatures like Passaglia and Damon Allen), and a "Diesel" T-shirt and Lions ball cap, both with the S.A.M. #25 autograph, and "God Bless". The items were all allegedly given to someone named Jana as some sort of prize, probably back in 1997. Does anyone have a sample of Millington's autograph, or know Sean, and can help me authenticate this ball?
Last edited by BCLions4Ever on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Try staking out Fitness World ( Marine Drive and Capilano Rd.)in North Vancouver. Sean lives on the North Shore. That his gym. good luck. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
BCLions4Ever
Rookie

I don't live in the Vancouver area and not too keen on stopping him on the street. I know he is a TD Waterhouse financial planner and I do have a phone number and am considering calling him but don't know how receptive he is to fans calling him at work.
prairielion
Starter

I have gotten his autograph in person a few times and he does sign, S.A.M. So it is probably the real thing.
Still in Riderville, hating the Riders!
BCLions4Ever
Rookie

Thanks for the info. Based on the signature on the poster, and what you are saying, it appears that I have the real deal - a truly unique piece of BC Lions history.
Image<br>
Last edited by BCLions4Ever on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Neat piece of memorabilia — any idea if that was actually the last ball he was carrying to break the record, or just one of the several that was used in that particular game? I would suppose he'd have kept the actual record-breaker.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
BCLions4Ever
Rookie

I am thinking it is the "game ball" that the team awarded to him at the end of the game. The previous record was 206 yards, so he likely kept the ball that broke that record. I'm not sure if he made another carry that set the new record, or if the carry that broke 206 was also the one that put him at 212. I'm thinking I'll have to get hold of him and see what he can tell me. Either way, the ball has some real significance and I consider myself lucky to have stumbled upon it completely by accident. I'm happy to share the photos of it on this forum.
smphantom
Legend

I see and talk to Millington all the time in the gym. I will try and remember to ask him for you -Too bad as I just saw him this afternoon, but I just read this as it's the first time in many weeks I have logged on the site.
:beer:
Stay thirsty my friends.
MacNews
Team Captain

He came to my work and I said hi. :rockin:
Ballistic Bob
Legend

smphantom wrote:I see and talk to Millington all the time in the gym. I will try and remember to ask him for you -Too bad as I just saw him this afternoon, but I just read this as it's the first time in many weeks I have logged on the site.
:beer:
Probably in front of the mirrors. :tease: BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
smphantom
Legend

Sorry, haven't been on here much recently and forgot about you. I saw Sean today and asked him about the ball. He said yes, as he signs everything with his initials (SAM) and the A is always like a rocket. He always attaches "God Bless" on signed items as well, so your game ball etc. is legit.

Steve
Stay thirsty my friends.
smphantom
Legend

Freesafety wrote:I am thinking it is the "game ball" that the team awarded to him at the end of the game. The previous record was 206 yards, so he likely kept the ball that broke that record. I'm not sure if he made another carry that set the new record, or if the carry that broke 206 was also the one that put him at 212. I'm thinking I'll have to get hold of him and see what he can tell me. Either way, the ball has some real significance and I consider myself lucky to have stumbled upon it completely by accident. I'm happy to share the photos of it on this forum.
Saw Sean this afternoon for the first time in a bit, as I had injured my shoulder playing sports and hadn't been in the gym for a week and a half. Sorry to disappoint you, but when I asked him if your ball was the actual game ball, he gave a big smile, shook his head and said "No, the ball from that game I have at home."

Cheers.
Stay thirsty my friends.
BCLions4Ever
Rookie

Well at least it is his signature. Odd that he'd sign it to appear that it is the actual ball. There could be three balls related to that record - one that broke the old record, one that set the new one, and possibly a game ball. Maybe this is at least one of those!! The ball itself is the right vintage - it is a Wilson with Commissioner Larry Smith's signature. The CFL switched from the Spalding J5V to the Wilson after the 1994 season and Larry Smith is the only commissioner to have had his name on both brands. The Smith signed Wilson ball should have still been in use in the 1997 season (Smith resigned as Commissioner in 1997) when Millington set the record.