Derrick Armstrong released

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

joe kapp22
Legend

BCLions Lions release Derick Armstrong: http://bclions.com/
#BCLions #CFL
Surprising, I thought he was playing well, I'd guess Akeem Foster or Stephen Black are next in line?
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Rammer
Team Captain

ed_lunsford wrote:
BCLions Lions release Derick Armstrong: http://bclions.com/
#BCLions #CFL
Surprising, I thought he was playing well, I'd guess Akeem Foster or Stephen Black are next in line?
He couldn't break away when he was given the ball, but he certainly wasn't hurting us with some of his catches. I guess he is the sacrificial lamb for this week, players had better pay attention to praising the OC or they may be next.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

This is not a good football decision. Armstrong played well, made some great catches. This is just being done to shake things up, put the responsibility of the offence on the players.

I see it as scapegoating, focusing the attention away from the real problem, which is the offensive philosophy, structure, and play calling, and hoping to scare the players into improved play. It's not the solution.

I also question the timing of this decision. We only have one practice this week, going into Regina. If we were going to make this move, why not make it during the break.

We finally had a receiver who could be a threat on the outside, had very good hands, and we get rid of him. I imagine we'll see more changes as the losing continues. Frustrating!!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

Armstrong had 22 catches this season, four behind Geroy Simon and Arceneaux, who both had 26 catches. Of the three receivers, Armstrong also had the least drops and made some very difficult catches. Armstrong was also second in receiving yardage behind Geroy Simon and was also second in terms of yards per catch at 14.4 yards.

Makes sense to me!!!! :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Tighthead
Legend

When I look at our offensive struggles, I do not say "Damn it - Armstrong is just holding us back". I guess better minds than me see it otherwise.
Last edited by Tighthead on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
almo89
Legend

I don't like this decision either. He was the only one that didn't have problems with drop balls. Now I really wonder if anybody can catch the ball now.
jim604
All Star

I do not like this move. Armstrong may not have caught every ball, but he made some fantastic catches, many key to establish a first down on a team that has trouble moving the chains, never mind scoring.

Don't like.

This could be the start of the air lift.
Tighthead
Legend

Maybe Armstrong refused to shorten his routes to that "happy zone" two yards short of the first down marker?
squishy35
Legend

I have a feeling he is released to make cap space..... look for a big name player to be signed soon..... ?
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

SMS must have come into play? I thought he was playing well, but perhaps his knees are problematic.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

He did practice today, however Passmore #80 was taking starting reps.

I think its an SMS move, maybe making room to bring back Mallett or even Steph Logan in the near future.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
ik17
Rookie

Martell Mallett is in tough with the Eagles. Could be making some cap space... Stefan Logan is also in very tough at Steelers camp right now but I think another NFL team probably is giving him a shot as a kick returner.
Last edited by ik17 on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rodu
Champion

I wonder if he had a bad attitude in the locker room?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

he may have caught enough balls, but did he run his routes right? Did he adjust to broken plays? Did he get himself open when qb in trouble, etc etc

dont ask me, I dunno
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
notahomer
Hall of Famer

He was playing too well for this style of offence....

I know he wasn't OUTSTANDING but I guess he's the lamb for the lions (no pun intended).