Drinking at the game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Just a heads up to those who like to enjoy a few cool ones at the football game. The police were out in force tonight checking for drunk drivers. I was on my way home on Powell Street and noticed that there was a long lineup in front of the BC Sugar Refinery. Unlike roadblocks around Christmas time, this one was barely moving. I think this is a new tactic. Impatient drivers and especially those who's had a few were making U turns and taking other routes only to be met by lots of police officers. I saw alot of people being administered breathalizers. Be careful if you drink and make sure you have a designated driver.
Whisperin' Jimmy
Starter

On the bright side:

After the Riders game, I complained about the plethora of drunks. No sign of that last night at all. Everyone seemed to be imbibing responsibly and having a good time. Maybe a Friday game meant less chance for an all-day bender? Whatever the cause, this was a MUCH more enjoyable experience in my section. I am greatly relieved.

Transit actually kicked ass! I took Skytrain in, and the bus connection was quick and the driver extremely helpful! (Why, yes, I am astonished!) Post-game the crowd on Hastings looked hopeless, but we were on a shuttle and moving within 5 minutes. Well done, transit people.

And the defence actually gave us something to cheer for! So all in all a MUCH better game-day experience.

(My head hurts - I think I am having an allergic reaction to optimism.)
"Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings." -George F. Will
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Just a heads up to those who like to enjoy a few cool ones at the football game. The police were out in force tonight checking for drunk drivers. I was on my way home on Powell Street and noticed that there was a long lineup in front of the BC Sugar Refinery. Unlike roadblocks around Christmas time, this one was barely moving. I think this is a new tactic. Impatient drivers and especially those who's had a few were making U turns and taking other routes only to be met by lots of police officers. I saw alot of people being administered breathalizers. Be careful if you drink and make sure you have a designated driver.
They were out in force after the Riders game too, same spot. But it was a lot slower getting through there THIS WEEK.

Security seemed to be all over the various attempts by Fans to copy the Bombers Beercup Snake. Quite a few stacks were confiscated. It seemed to be raining beer cups in the SouthEnd.
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

Whisperin' Jimmy wrote:On the bright side:

After the Riders game, I complained about the plethora of drunks. No sign of that last night at all. Everyone seemed to be imbibing responsibly and having a good time. Maybe a Friday game meant less chance for an all-day bender? Whatever the cause, this was a MUCH more enjoyable experience in my section. I am greatly relieved.

Transit actually kicked ass! I took Skytrain in, and the bus connection was quick and the driver extremely helpful! (Why, yes, I am astonished!) Post-game the crowd on Hastings looked hopeless, but we were on a shuttle and moving within 5 minutes. Well done, transit people.

And the defence actually gave us something to cheer for! So all in all a MUCH better game-day experience.

(My head hurts - I think I am having an allergic reaction to optimism.)

At times, the drunks were a bit crazy in the South endzone. Do you recall hearing about the "beer cup snake" incident in Winnipeg? Let's just say "deja vu". ;)