Defence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

lion24
Legend

I was very impressed today by the defence...........I know it is only one game but I have not seen this kind of "punch the opponent in the mouth" approach for a few years now. Too many times in the past few years guys are missing tackles or not wrapping up. The speed of the D seems much improved as well and the new guys did not look out of place too many times and they stopped Ray on second and long :beer: Well done.......hopefully the return to a bit of smashmouth D :good:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Gary
Starter

I was prepared to be disappointed by the d this year...it didn't take long before I realized how wrong I was...right about when Korey Banks blind-sided Ray and forced that fumble...I was very impressed by everyone on defense today...no missed tackles that went for 50+yards, no blown coverages for touchdowns...just tough, hard-hitting, agressive defense...I think Franks looks like an upgrade on Darren Toney for sure, in spite of the two PI calls
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Liked the way that the D was tackling tonight, as opposed to flying around looking for highlight reel hits (as Montreal was doing in the 2nd half in Regina Thursday) .

Dante Marsh epitomized the change by wrapping the guy up, and falling down. Fundamentals gents, win games.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'm more impressed with the apparent change of philosophy. They are playing more aggressive, attacking with different blitz packages. And yes, the tackling is much improved from last year.
Lionsfan1976
All Star

I liked the pressure from the blitz. I liked the tackling. I liked how for the most part the players were in the right place to make the play. I'm excited to see what kinds of schemes Rich Stubler hasn't shown yet. This is going to be great. :yahoo:
Tighthead
Legend

Banks looks to have great sense on the delayed blitz. Timing is everything on that one.

I think #97 will do better in a reduced role this year. It happened to Jim Jeffcoat of Dallas back in the 1990s - had one of his highest sack totals after being put in a nickel role.
joe kapp22
Legend

Solar Max wrote:Liked the way that the D was tackling tonight, as opposed to flying around looking for highlight reel hits (as Montreal was doing in the 2nd half in Regina Thursday) .

Dante Marsh epitomized the change by wrapping the guy up, and falling down. Fundamentals gents, win games.

Exactly, we looked to be on the same page, with every player knowing their assignments, and the new Oline was rough around the edges but did not repeat the same mistakes over and over again toss in no turnovers whilst creating turnovers and I was impressed.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Oh yes. Attacking all over the field. Pressure D.

It is a big change for us. But IMO it is the only way to play D in the CFL nowadays. Previously, you could play more of a prevent, and expect the O to not be able to make 8 or 10 per-fect plays to get a TD. Well nowadays teams can do that, and they can also pop some big plays. So you need to pressure the O to take them out of their rhythm, to make them rush the play. We saw it this game. And it was a treat to see. :thup:

When Wally said he was going to make some changes, he meant it. Bringing in Rich Stubler for the defence was a courageous move for Benevides to make (in consultation with Buono of course, but Benevides wanted it). It gives Benevides support in any move towards aggressive defence, something Buono has not been inclined towards. (He is more of a prevent D, bend but don't break D, coach.) And Benevides can learn from Stubler, who has any number of high pressure schemes and tactics to use. I recall his "7-UP" D of a few years ago, which I blogged about on YouTube at the time.

Wally did not want to talk about schemes and philosophy last year, but, to his credit, he has adapted them this year.

Dorazio seems to have changed his philosophy also. I would say he was inclined to be very, very detailed in his techniques for the O Line previously. IMO it affected them, in making them think too much. Now he says he wants them to knock the D on their a**es. Be physical. That is per-fect for young, powerful O Linemen. And we saw it in the game. The O Line wore down, and wore out the EE D Line. Even from the 1st Robertson run of the game, they had a couple of Eskimos flat out on the ground as Jamal sped past.

6 man D Line rotation. :thup:

Well timed blitzes by lightning fast LBs. :thup:

Made the DBs work relatively easy. Not that Ricky Ray was no threat, but he looked very human and vulnerable.

And I think the aggressive attitude shows up in the hitting and tackling too. It is contagious.

All good. Game on.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:O
Bringing in Rich Stubler for the defence was a courageous move for Benevides to make (in consultation with Buono of course, but Benevides wanted it).
Not exactly, Buono said he left that hiring up to Mike and so Mike found his man. But yes, even more courageous for him. He is very secure in his job I would say.. all one has to do is look at Jack Chaps I guess... :wink:
joe kapp22
Legend

Buono mentioned on team 1040 yesterday that Benevides and Stubler had combined elements of both defensive philosophies.

In many ways I'm glad the Riders are coming into town for game #2 as they just hung 50pts on the Alous, this will be give Mike B/Stubler a tough test of the scheme and the players.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.