OS99 on Bill Good Show this morning to talk tailgating

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

AC/DC Rocks
Champion

Great blog Jim :thup:
We should all get together at the art gallery and have a 4:20 BBQ smoke out, that would be hilarious!
Bighill is Badass
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Look, I want the same thing as everyone else which is to have an enjoyable season cheering the Lions on. The reality is, tailgating has been a huge issue here for upwards of 5-6 years, and it keeps getting brought up EVERY year. I really don't think that the PNE, Impark or whoever are going to change their minds, and when it comes right down to it, they have a right to dictate what happens on their property. I agree that the police's attention should be focused on legitimate real crime, instead of minor hassles. Confronting Lions staff, and confronting some $9/hour parking lot rent a cop don't go a long way towards fostering goodwill, IMO. Yes, tailgating is a fun way to get together before and after a game. Is it vital to my game day experience? Not by a long shot.
Real women wear orange!!
bclions16
Champion

So you don't want to fight it, fine. No one is saying you have to fight or participate.

I think what people took issue with from your posts was a your terse shut-down of another persons efforts, and your characterization of them. Are there really confrontations? Is OS99 really aggressively pursuing the media?

You suggest asking forgiveness instead of permission. That would just result in the same "confrontation" with police or security asking you to leave. No one was knowingly violating any rules in this case. Yet you don't want confrontation, but your idea suggests purposely violating rules (or else what on earth are are you asking forgiveness for?).

Or is it just that official Lionbackers aren't supposed to like OS99 (or anyone that follows bclionsden.ca) regardless of what he does or says? And it should be noted that he didn't bring this topic here.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

CatsEyes wrote:Look, I want the same thing as everyone else which is to have an enjoyable season cheering the Lions on. The reality is, tailgating has been a huge issue here for upwards of 5-6 years, and it keeps getting brought up EVERY year. I really don't think that the PNE, Impark or whoever are going to change their minds, and when it comes right down to it, they have a right to dictate what happens on their property. I agree that the police's attention should be focused on legitimate real crime, instead of minor hassles. Confronting Lions staff, and confronting some $9/hour parking lot rent a cop don't go a long way towards fostering goodwill, IMO. Yes, tailgating is a fun way to get together before and after a game. Is it vital to my game day experience? Not by a long shot.
I didn't "confront" anyone. We were confronted by security and a discussion enused. Reporters saw it and came over. We were informed when we bought our passes that tailgaiting "as of right now is allowed, but we aren't involved". We got an e-mail at 10:36am with food on the grill, that it wasn't. The PNE asked Arlene to come down, and she did. Another discussion took place.

Your "9 dollar an hour rent a cop" wasn't confronted either...he was fed.

As for the changing their mind, the PNE has offically reversed their position as of this afternoon, and will be issuing a statement, so there goes your theory on that as well.

Before you come on here misrepresenting the facts, get some first. Mature discussion can facilitate a lot of things.

Time to forget about me Kim...moved on looooong ago.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

bclions16 wrote: You suggest asking forgiveness instead of permission. That would just result in the same "confrontation" with police or security asking you to leave. No one was knowingly violating any rules in this case. Yet you don't want confrontation, but your idea suggests purposely violating rules (or else what on earth are are you asking forgiveness for?).
It's an expression. I didn't mean it literally. If someone asked me to leave private property, I would have no choice but to comply. Were you actually ever physically personally around when we all used to tailgate together? I was, and I personally saw unnecessary confrontations that had previously been dealt with in a calm, peaceful manner. IMO that works much better than getting in someone's face. More flies with honey than vinegar, and all that. And just for the record, I don't really like flies, or vinegar-that's just an expression too in case you were inclined to take me literally there, as well. ;)
Real women wear orange!!
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

OrangeShoes99 wrote:I didn't "confront" anyone. We were confronted by security and a discussion enused. Reporters saw it and came over. We were informed when we bought our passes that tailgaiting "as of right now is allowed, but we aren't involved". We got an e-mail at 10:36am with food on the grill, that it wasn't. The PNE asked Arlene to come down, and she did. Another discussion took place.
Yes, I'm very familiar with your "discussions" ;)
OrangeShoes99 wrote:Your "9 dollar an hour rent a cop" wasn't confronted either...he was fed.
By us, if memory serves ;)
OrangeShoes99 wrote:As for the changing their mind, the PNE has offically reversed their position as of this afternoon, and will be issuing a statement, so there goes your theory on that as well.
Something that I didn't know when I posted, now did I? Point for you. Have a cookie.
OrangeShoes99 wrote:Before you come on here misrepresenting the facts, get some first. Mature discussion can facilitate a lot of things.
Yes it can...oh, you were talking to me? :)
OrangeShoes99 wrote:Time to forget about me Kim...moved on looooong ago.
Apparently not or else you wouldn't be here now. Don't flatter yourself ;)

Hey Soundy...thanks for the Image
Real women wear orange!!
notahomer
Hall of Famer

The 'forgiveness/permission' strategy often works, IMO. I've gotten positive results at work that couldn't be overlooked due to their effectivenss but had I asked first, I would have not been able to get those positive outcomes. My boss was emberassed to admit "I'm glad you didn't ask because someone would have found a way to say NO".

I am not a 'TG'er and probably never will be. I do think it adds something to the gameday for a segment of the fans and therefore 'let them grill', IMO.
David
Team Captain

Laura Ballance, spokesperson for the PNE, just announced on Pratt and Taylor (4:19PM) that they reviewed their policies this morning and WILL be allowing propane barbecues (no briquettes) on their lot. No alcohol though as it's in contravention with the Liquor Control Act (regarding public consumption of alcohol).

I view this as a WIN for tailgaters. :thup:

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
bclions16
Champion

CatsEyes wrote:
bclions16 wrote: You suggest asking forgiveness instead of permission. That would just result in the same "confrontation" with police or security asking you to leave. No one was knowingly violating any rules in this case. Yet you don't want confrontation, but your idea suggests purposely violating rules (or else what on earth are are you asking forgiveness for?).
It's an expression. I didn't mean it literally. If someone asked me to leave private property, I would have no choice but to comply. Were you actually ever physically personally around when we all used to tailgate together? I was, and I personally saw unnecessary confrontations that had previously been dealt with in a calm, peaceful manner. IMO that works much better than getting in someone's face. More flies with honey than vinegar, and all that. And just for the record, I don't really like flies, or vinegar-that's just an expression too in case you were inclined to take me literally there, as well. ;)
Sorry but your post was very clear in meaning, not my mistake if the basic words you wrote don't match your unwritten thoughts. Why try to make a point using an expression that has no relevance to your point? How is a reader supposed to understand you? That expression has a specific meaning and your post couldn't be interpreted any other way. Odd to make a point using the expression "...it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission..." if you aren't suggesting... it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission! So what on earth was the reader to take from that? :hypno:

Additionally I have no idea what you are talking about from long ago. If you thought there was some context that should be added, state it upfront, don't assume everyone here has been around long enough to know everyone else's history. If it's needed for context just say it, don't ask me when you know I wasn't around then.
CatsEyes wrote: Hey Soundy...thanks for the Image
Don't blame him.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
orangegloves
Starter

David wrote:Laura Ballance, spokesperson for the PNE just announced on Pratt and Taylor that they reviewed their policies this morning and WILL be allowing propane barbecues (no briquettes) on their lot. No alcohol though as it's in contravention with the Liquor Control Act (regarding public consumption of alcohol).

I view this as a WIN for tailgaters. :thup:

DH

I too see this as a win for the TG's! And I'm sure the security teams will be "checking" for open liquor. Nice to see the PNE/City of Vancouver (since they run the PNE) listen to the sports fans for once!
bclions16
Champion

And back to the point, looks like OS99 and all the involved partied did a good job!
Soundy
Hall of Famer

CatsEyes wrote:
Soundy wrote:FWIW, Brian has always in the past provided a good, reasonable voice to the media in support of tailgating, always done a great job to portray TGers in general in a good light.

It was already on Global News last night, so it's not like people aren't already hearing about it. In fact, that media attention is probably a big part of WHY he's going on today, to help dispell the inevitable misconceptions.
Well you and I have seen different things then. IMO, it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission, and to aggressively pursue the media and confront parking personnel and Lions staff is not the way to effectively handle this.
Did you read Jim's blog (linked above)?
Many were misled in the off season by the football team that tailgating would be permitted by the Exhibition. That's why the Lions most loyal fans shelled out $300 - the equivalent of half a season's ticket - to park at gate nine.
This story was repeated on the radio AND TV newscasts, by many others besides Brian: fans were led to believe by the club, for whatever reason (not saying they intentionally misled anyone; the PNE may have misled them, or there may have simply been a communication breakdown), that tailgating would be allowed... so they showed up with their beers and brats and BBQs and settled in, only to have security come and tell them to get lost.

In short: THEY DID ASK PERMISSION FIRST, and if not given it explicitly at the time, were assured that it would be given when the time came. If I'd paid extra for a space because I'd been specifically told that the spendy spot would allow me to tailgate, I think I'd be a little confrontational as well if some rent-a-cop suddenly rode up and told me to shut it down.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Kimberly, I have to admit I was very disappointed in the email that was sent to 'nw this afternoon. It sounded like it came from a personal vendictiveness that was more personal in nature and painted a very biased and untrue picture of Brian and his merry band.

Very dissappointed, I'm sure listeners were able to read through it.

There's a lot on here who ar trying to get our rights back, and I applaud those who do; expeciall Jim Mullen for taking it to the airwaves, Brian, Shaggy etc.

Cheers to the movement! :beauty:
Soundy
Hall of Famer

FWIW, we parked in the ($20) lot at Hasting and Renfrew and saw several TGs going on. The lot attendants didn't seem concerned in the least - the one group had obviously been well underway for some time, and didn't show any sign of shutting down soon (I'm sure those guys missed at least a good portion of the first quarter).

If the TG won't come to Mohammed, maybe Mohammed needs to go to the TG!
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Catseyes wrote:Yes, I'm very familiar with your "discussions" ;)
Uh ok...
Catseyes wrote:By us, if memory serves ;)
Oh sorry, you weren't even there...not sure how you made yourself look like Shaggy, but thanks for making sure he was fed. Good grief...try and follow along.
Catseyes wrote:Something that I didn't know when I posted, now did I? Point for you. Have a cookie.
I rest my case, get your facts straight BEFORE you post.
CatEyes wrote:Apparently not or else you wouldn't be here now. Don't flatter yourself ;)
Me flatter myself? The ONLY reason I came here was to correct your error filled statements and accusations after told you were taking this shot. So please, DO flatter yourself, whatever makes you feel better. I'm sure you can use your MOD powers to see the last time I logged in here. And if what Rob is saying is true, and you to tried to depict myself, and our group in a poor light out of your vindictiveness towards me then shame on you. Our record speaks for itself. With Easy Park, and the group that enjoys this tradition. Like I said...let it go and grow up.

You can reply with whatever you like, I've cleared up the air with my statements on the issue. I'm done here until the next time someone wants to take a swing.

I think most people here can see through the real intent of your post.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.