BlackHawks Now Running Over Nabokov

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Galla ... story.html
Niemi of game is just run at Hawks goalie

Chicago netminder is getting a free pass on contact, but poor Louie is getting battered

By Tony Gallagher, The Province May 7, 2010
For me, it is not much fun to watch this kind of action on the ice. The BlackHawks go to the blue ice in the crease, bump, poke, slash, run over, spray with ice, cover his eyes with their glove, and fall on top of Luongo. They push him into the net with the puck. If that is the way the league is going to allow them to play, it is not good hockey to watch. And IMO it is not even hockey.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Luon ... story.html
Luongo beaten black in blue

Chicago's trampling of goaltending interference rule should draw eye for an eye response

By Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
Yes, retaliation is the only way to combat this negative style of play by the BlackHawks. They have pushed it to the limit and have gotten away with it.

The Canucks might as well run over Niemi time and time again. Nothing to lose the way it has been going.

And now the league will probably have the referees change the way they call game 4. It is a shambles IMO.

No doubt some fans think it is part of the game.

But I would prefer to see skill on display. I can't credit what Buyfuglien does as hockey skill. It is skill of some kind, but dimly related to hockey. Put the goaltender off his game, by bumping in him in the "protection" of his own crease. Sure it works. But why even bother to have a crease then? Just let the forwards go and stand beside Luongo, doing what they want to do to distract him. The blue colored ice in the crease seems pointless. To me it is not as blatant as what Avery did, blocking the goaltenders view, but it is just as detrimental to hockey.

Jut IMO as a pi**ed off fan.
Rammer
Team Captain

Can't understand when the crashing of Luongo was acceptable by league standards, all I know is Halak was barley touched last night and drew an interference penalty. Different standards by a long shot. The final goal pretty much makes you laugh at what is and isn't acceptable. That said, the Canucks should have known that they would have to deal with Byfuglien, he was the difference last season and is well on his way to being the difference this season. Mitchell is sorely missed, as the rest of the D doesn't seem to have the combination of his heart and strength.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Remember Billy Smith of the Islanders. That is probably more of what is needed. A good goal stick across the back of the knee or in the groin will put a stop to that real quick.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

May be it's a Vancouver thing.........Lions QB's were open season to any cheap shot or late hit without fear of penalty.
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:May be it's a Vancouver thing.........Lions QB's were open season to any cheap shot or late hit without fear of penalty.
True that.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:May be it's a Vancouver thing.........Lions QB's were open season to any cheap shot or late hit without fear of penalty.
And the perpetrators also knew that they would never get pancaked or kneed or anything as a "warning" to stay away from the QB.
Real women wear orange!!
Tighthead
Legend

If I was a Canuck fan, Luongo's contract would drive me batty.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Can't understand when the crashing of Luongo was acceptable by league standards, all I know is Halak was barley touched last night and drew an interference penalty. Different standards by a long shot.
Ask Buck Pierce about that some time. He may have some insight.
Rammer
Team Captain

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

I think Mike Gillis should sign Rob Murphy in time for game six. I doubt he has the speed or the hands, but nobody would move him from in front of the net.

Just a ridiculous Saturday morning thought....

Cheers,

James
He may block too many shots towards the net, perhaps we can put him in our net. :)
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I've always been curious about these types of officiating theories in many pro sports (NHL, NFL, CFL and the worst IMO, the NBA).

For e.g. If one team 'runs' the goalie the refs let it go but once both teams start doing it, penalties HAVE get called to slow the escalation. That blue ice crease is a waste of paint in any Canucks/Blackhawks playoff series.

In the NBA some players could barely touch Jordan, TWEET, MJ goes to the charity stripe. Or even worse, his Airness would make a defender eat an elbow for a snack before MJ got his free throws.

Many leagues (NHL and CFL are the ones I notice) have the retalitory penalty. One guy cheapshots a player and when he gets attacked, its often only the retaliator that gets penalized. It obviously doesn't get called the retalitory penalty but the victim is in a lose/lose situation. You don't react the guy got a free punch/elbow etc... You do react and you hurt your team by being penalized. Rewarding bad behaviour, IMO.

I wasn't too upset with the officiating in last nights game. Burrows and O'brien deserved those penalties on Buffdust, IMO. I just laughed when I heard on last nights game Buffdust has 5 of six playoff goals against the Canucks. I hope the Blackhawks try to play this kind of hockey against the Sharks or RedWings. I just hope the refs call the series the same way.

I want consistency in officiating. I know its a hard job. Officiating is definately one area where I am a very vocal critic but I accept that I would definately do an even worst job that the Zebras out there now.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:I want consistency in officiating. I know its a hard job. Officiating is definately one area where I am a very vocal critic but I accept that I would definately do an even worst job that the Zebras out there now.
Thankless job. "How shall we interpret the rules tonight?" What is the directive from the League office?

I am developing a hatred for the BlackHawks. But I also have to give them credit. They got a wakeup call in the first game blowout by the Canucks. They decided they did not want to play the skill game (which they can obviously play also) and risk losing to the Canucks. They figured (correctly) that they could play the mucking game, and the Euro-dominated Canucks could not adapt as well. Right they were. Throw the skilled Canucks off their game. Push O'Brien's buttons (not hard to do). Push some other buttons. And the game swings decidedly to the Hawks' advantage.

Too bad. Suckered by a clever, devious, but effective strategy.

But look at the BlackHawks lineup. They are lead by some prototypical Canadian character players. Jonathan Toews. Duncan Keith. Brent Seabrook. Patrick Sharp. Those guys ooze leadership. Their team, guided by Quenneville, did what they knew would be greatly to their advantage. They went to the agitator stuff. The button pushing stuff. Worked like a charm.

It seems that it is not enough to be a very skilled team in the NHL. You also have to be able to mix it up, without getting thrown off your game. This ain't the Olympics, where such tactics (bumping the goalkeeper, putting your glove over his eyes, hacking at his glove and pads, falling on him, etc.) would not be tolerated I would think.

Can the Canucks rebound? I wouldn't count them out. But the odds are long against.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Byfuglien has gotten into the Canucks ' collective psyche. They are so bent in getting even with #33 they are forgetting to play their game. O'Brien and Burrows are two examples of Canucks bent on getting Byfuglien.
Tighthead
Legend

I have never seen a professional team sound and act as mentally weak as the Canucks. They are very open about the fact that Chicago is dictating the game, and they don't know how to answer.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Take that, Niemi. How to get in front and block his view, Burrows. :thup:

How to look stupid, Buyfuglien. :thdn:

How to slash an ankle, Bolland. :thdn: Very dirty play. Slash the ankle of Daniel Sedin. Send that film to the league office, Canucks. Not as if they will do anything about it. But get it on the record.

Solid game, Luongo. Better than solid. Top of the line. As good as it gets. Stick to the business.

Hope Sami is OK. :thup:

Great win. Play hard. Play smart. That is all we can ask.

When we play a smart, disciplined, skill game we can beat that other team. When we let them drag us down to their "play dirty" level (slash, provoke, etc.) they can beat us hands down at that mucking game.