Ti-Cats release Kenton Keith: Should the Lions be interested

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:The Ti-Cats released 30 yr-old RB Kenton Keith today. Should the Lions be interested in him? He's a good receiving back which might fit into the Lions offensive scheme. I would take him over J. Robertson, although Keith would command a bigger salary. There is also the factor of his possible attitude problems after being cut from the NFL and seemed to dog it a bit in Hamilton. Also the Riders and Argos will likely also be interested.
A good running back. I would think he is better than Robertson.

Don't know about the attitude.

Perhaps the Shiv will come up with another good one, ala Logan or Mallett (Yes Kidd recommended him but Shivers had to look at the film too and say nay or yay).
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'd love to know how the B.C. coaches view the running back position this year. Are they expecting Robertson to be the main man? Are they looking for the next Mallett or Logan? Will Lee and Harris get a shot? I haven't seen much to indicate which way they're leaning.

Keith's best days are behind him. He missed all of last season with a knee injury. In 2008, he played four late-season games and wasn't impressive, rushing for 33, 5, 33 and 31 yards and a 3.5-yard average, with no touchdowns.

27/09/08 BC 9 33 3.7 18 0
13/10/08 MTL 4 5 1.3 4 0
24/10/08 CAL 9 33 3.7 19 0
01/11/08 WPG 7 31 4.4 10 0

Totals 29 102 3.5 19 0
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Let the Argos have him. Keith is probably still banned from (both?) Regina nightclubs, but Toronto will give him a much better selection of establishments to cause disturbances and commit assaults. I don't ever want to see this clown in a Lions uniform.
Rammer
Team Captain

Flat out no! He hasn't been able to run in BC Place from what I recall other than one game.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Odie
Rookie

My thoughts on this are rather split. On one hand, KK is a talented back with a skill set (as noted above) that may be ideally suited to the Lions offensive package. He, if healthy, could provide a certain level of explosion to an offense distinctly lacking a bonafide feature back (I like Robertson and what he brings, but I am still perhaps a little on the fence about him as a feature back). While his better years may be behind him, if motivated he could still be a force worth investigating, particularly if the financial commitment is low - in other words, he might be a welcome insurance policy. Training camp invites are just that - invites. If he can play, he stays, if something better is found, he's released. The risk is low.

As for the attitude issue, I would personally like to see the Lions develop a bit more of an attitude. A little swagger, meanness and down-right blue collar attitude would go a long way on a team that looked rather complacent last year. Football is about attitude, fire and confidence (along with skill) and the lions have been lacking that for some time....

On the other hand, however, KK did not look good in brief appearences after his return from the NFL. It seemed to me that he adjusted to a different game and was struggling to return to the pace of the CFL. When he returned, he was bigger, stronger and, unfortunately, a half step slower. A training camp, some rehab on his injuries and a slight attitude adjustment might turn this around, but its an unknown at this point. Also, bringing him into camp would take a space of another, younger (and less paid) player and, in my opinion, we have bigger issues than the runningback position (canadian content and linebacker heading my list...)...

Hopefully this makes sense...
joe kapp22
Legend

Bad fit, especially after drafting Binder and Foster and adding Robertson and Jamall Lee, 3 players who need on the field time, and a rock solid veteran Rb.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Only if we want a head case whose main talent seems to be creating off field disturbances both for his team and his community. Done like dinner, no thank you!
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
OV - 54:40
Champion

Explosive RB talent - also a bit of a head-case, moron/punk it seems - too bad on that.

Bring him in and offer him minimum starter type wage - if he still wants to play football, maybe he makes the best of it; if he or his agent thinks he can still command top CFL bucks then, see ya.

I liked the way Robertson ran last year for the Argos (after a mediocre first year there IMO) - played hard and produced some decent runs; still, hardly a better than average CFL tailback and getting on in years - worth a shot to see if he can claim the starting job; other guys worth a look too - including maybe Keith or Lumsden; Lee or Harrris might be worth a look for the starting tailback job too - doubt they get real consideration though due to resume problems.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

The word on Robertson was that he got injured around the 5th or 6th game of the season and played injured the rest of 2009......he had been quite effective up until the injury but then production trailed off.

As for KK, I would like to see who else is coming to camp......Mickey Dean, the TD machine has been mentioned and we still have 3 FA camps to go......but if no else establishes themselves as a legitimate contender for the job......then there's nothing to lose in bringing KK into camp. Buono won't stand for off field antics (many examples) and KK's pass receiving abilities might be just what the Lions offense will be geared to in 2010........also, he's a Roy Shivers find, so there's a connection there as well.
Lloyd
Lionsfan1976
All Star

No thanks.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What would Chapdeleine do with a running back ?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I wasn't all that impressed when I heard the Lions had signed Robertson. Age, miles, productivity. Not as good as you want.

Of all things, we should be able to find a top calibre running back. We've done it year after year. Young, strong, talented.

Kenton Keith. Many question marks. Many strikes against. Forgetaboutit.

Bring in the new talent.

And we better have a good running game this year. Or else the natives will be restless.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:What would Chapdeleine do with a running back ?
Have him run crossing routes all night long......Chapdelaine doesn't know anything else.......... :bang:
Lloyd