Bombers release Shabazz - would the Lions be interested?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

In somewhat of a surprise move (to me anyway) the Blue Bombers released Siddeeq Shabazz, a fast, hard-hitting outside linebacker.
Winnipeg Sun wrote:Shabazz sprained his ankle before training camp and then suffered a foot injury in Week 5 that he said hobbled him for the rest of the season.....Shabazz figures he won’t be out of work long.

“I figure it would be crazy if I didn’t get picked up,” he said
Shabazz finished 2009 tied for third on the team (with Ike Charlton) in defensive tackles with 72, while also picking up 14 special teams tackles, four interceptions and recovering two fumbles. Shabazz scored two defensive touchdowns (36-yard interception return in week two vs Calgary, 30-yard interception return in week three at Hamilton) and led the league in interceptions at the end of July. He was named Defensive Player of the Week for week two and won Defensive Player of the Month for July. (source: http://www.bluebombers.com)

I wonder if the Leos braintrust would entertain a more traditional 3 linebacker set with Haley (or Elimimian?) in the middle, Shabazz and McKenzie on the outside, put Korey Banks back at corner and move Davis Sanchez to safety?

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
squishy35
Legend

Defence will take on different schemes with Stubler back in the mix. He likes fast swarming tacklers.... Shabazz could be a consideration on Wally's radar....
Lionut
Hall of Famer

This is indeed a head scratcher. Shabazz was one of the best players on a weak Bomber roster. This is what happens when you hire a GM like Joe Mack who has been out of the CFL since the 80s. He knows football administration, but his current knowledge of CFL personnel is weak to non-existent. Hell yes, the Lions should grab Shabazz before someone else does...
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I'm a bit surprised that Shabazz was released but maybe LaPolice knows something about him.

OTOH, I don't care if they cut the entire 2009 roster. We didn't win with them or even come close. So as long as they end up with a better record, I have no issue with any moves.

Having said that, I wasn't too happy with the hiring of LaPolice as HC or K Reed as DC.

It could be another tough season in Winnipeg.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Shabazz has said that he got injured around the 5th game of the season and then played around 70% for the rest of the year........he had some impressive stats in that first handful of games but then understandably tailed off. My guess, the dollar$ didn't match his 2009 stats......so, out the door he goes.

He's a gooder and will be a fine signing for some team......but because he'll be in demand, there will be a bit of bidding war for his services.......and we all know how Buono enjoys bidding wars.......my guess, he's back in Edmonton within a week.
Lloyd
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siddeeq_Shabazz
Siddeeq Muneer Shabazz (born February 5, 1981 in Frankfurt, Germany) is a Canadian football defensive back for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League. He was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in the seventh round of the 2003 NFL Draft. He played college football at New Mexico State.

Shabazz has also been a member of the Atlanta Falcons, Cincinnati Bengals, Washington Redskins, New Orleans Saints, Miami Dolphins and Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
Safety / Linebacker
Personal information
Date of birth: February 5, 1981 (1981-02-05) (age 29)
Place of birth: Frankfurt, Germany

Height: 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m) Weight: 205 lb (93 kg)

College: New Mexico State
NFL Draft: 2003 / Round: 7 / Pick: 246
Debuted in 2003 for the Oakland Raiders
Oakland Raiders (2003)
Atlanta Falcons (2003–2004)
Cincinnati Bengals (2005)*
Washington Redskins (2005)*
New Orleans Saints (2005)
Miami Dolphins (2006)*
Edmonton Eskimos (2007–2008)
Winnipeg Blue Bombers (2009–2010)
Tweener size. LB in the CFL. Safety and DB in the NFL and college. He's been around, to put it mildly.

Some doubts about his attitude? Seems like a talented player. Great size for a hybrid/tweener. About the size of Markeith Knowlton, but perhaps without the intangibles.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Bombers' release of Shabazz just after the signing of former New Mexico State teammate Buck Pierce has raised eyebrows and speculation. In a 2008 game in Edmonton, some Lions wanted Shabazz ejected after he was flagged for two roughing the passer penalties against Pierce. Shabazz had been ejected for rough play the previous week in a game against the Lions. Afterwards, Pierce had this to say about the late hits, according to Mike Beamish:
"I don't want to think any player would try to put another out of the game. I gave him the benefit of the doubt on that one. If that's their mindset, they have the wrong mindset. There's something to said about respecting the other guys in this league.''

Is there blood between Pierce and Shabazz? Paul Friesen of the Winnipeg Sun asked Pierce this weekend:
THEORY QUASHED: Heard an interesting theory on the Shabazz release from a fellow scribe, who said some nasty hits by the linebacker on then-B.C. pivot Buck Pierce, when Shabazz was with Edmonton, may have caused some bad blood that still hasn’t dried.

Thing is, Pierce told me Thursday he and Shabazz remain tight from their days as teammates at New Mexico State.

Link
OV - 54:40
Champion

JohnHenry wrote:According to the new Wpg coach: "On film, (the inside WILL linebacker position) was probably the least productive spot out of the three linebackers," explained Bomber head coach Paul LaPolice. "We keep evaluating the roster and we've looked at a number of factors. We looked at how guys played throughout the course of the year. We've looked at the people we've brought in,salary ramifications... I wouldn't say it's any one factor because there's several any time you release a player.

At only 29, Shabazz will have several teams after him. While he'll want a 6-figure salary, the Lions should be first in line. We need a good tackler and hard hitter in our defence. While the Lions need a MLB, Shabbaz could bring some attitude to the LB corps which has been missing since the "loss" of O. Floyd (and Glatt, Armour, Johnson, Glover, ect.)

Shabbaz claims he was playing at only 70% for much of last season due to injury.

Tough, hard hitting defender Shabazz is but hardly a top CFL OLB and not close to worth 6 figures IMO; could maybe help BC at OLB - McKenzie is better IMO, but who's the other OLB going to be? - that same iffy D with Banks playing as a LB some? Shabazz is worth a TC look , depending on the style of D maybe; also a versatile defensive player in that he looked OK some at safety in the CFL; NOT worth a more than average CFL contract though.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

OV - 54:40 wrote: Tough, hard hitting defender Shabazz is but hardly a top CFL OLB and not close to worth 6 figures IMO; could maybe help BC at OLB - McKenzie is better IMO, but who's the other OLB going to be? - that same iffy D with Banks playing as a LB some? Shabazz is worth a TC look , depending on the style of D maybe; also a versatile defensive player in that he looked OK some at safety in the CFL; NOT worth a more than average CFL contract though.

I'd agree with that OV. Shabazz has been a decent player in his CFL career but there's been nothing about his game that ever had me thinking "Wow I sure wish he was on my team". He's a decent veteran worthy of a contract offer as would befit a middle-of-the-road experienced import LB; and not a nickle more as Brian Burke liked to say. If 6 figures is what is needed for his autograph then let somebody else spend the money and use the roster spot for a decent younger prospect from one of the free agent tryout camps.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
OV - 54:40 wrote: Tough, hard hitting defender Shabazz is but hardly a top CFL OLB and not close to worth 6 figures IMO; could maybe help BC at OLB - McKenzie is better IMO, but who's the other OLB going to be? - that same iffy D with Banks playing as a LB some? Shabazz is worth a TC look , depending on the style of D maybe; also a versatile defensive player in that he looked OK some at safety in the CFL; NOT worth a more than average CFL contract though.

I'd agree with that OV. Shabazz has been a decent player in his CFL career but there's been nothing about his game that ever had me thinking "Wow I sure wish he was on my team". He's a decent veteran worthy of a contract offer as would befit a middle-of-the-road experienced import LB; and not a nickle more as Brian Burke liked to say. If 6 figures is what is needed for his autograph then let somebody else spend the money and use the roster spot for a decent younger prospect from one of the free agent tryout camps.
I think that's essentially the decision that the Bombers made. They were not only top heavy SMS wise team but also a little older at the top as well. Not a good combination when you finish 7th.
Lionsfan1976
All Star

So, what 5 figure salary would he be worth? 65K? 75K? 85K?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lionsfan1976 wrote:So, what 5 figure salary would he be worth? 65K? 75K? 85K?
I get the impression he is not every coach's cup of tea. At any price. Just my impression. If Wally picks him up, then that would be a big vote of confidence in what he can bring to a team.

For a guy who seems to have ability, he has had, in my opinion, too much mobility: too many teams let him go. But I have heard no inside stuff on this. Just a hunch, as a fan of the CFL.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Mike Beamish has a thing about Shabazz on his blog. It appears that Buono is not interested either....he would prefer "true" linebackers and "true" cover guys as compared to tweener types.

Tweener's give you more flexibilty but the knock is that they may be good at several things, but not great at anything.

From the Beamish Blog:

"He's an in-betweener," Buono said. "We want much more defined positions -- linebackers who are true linebackers and defensive backs who are true cover guys. We're not trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. I'm not criticizing Winnipeg or Edmonton, but he [Shabazz] has floated around a million different positions. There must be reason for that. Winnipeg realized he didn't fit in their plans, and we don't feel he fits in ours."
Lloyd