Question I'm Scared to Raise at Riderfans.com

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

#1 Lions Fan in SK
Starter

How can Saskatchewan manage ALLLLLL the signings they have been doing this off-season including their free agents. One would assume that their free agents would be looking for more money considering the season they had last year, plus they have been picking up quite a few others.

Inquiring minds want to know. I find it hard to believe they were that far below the cap last year if they were at all.

:juggle:
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Saskatchewan and anything to do with numbers don't go along very well together.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:Saskatchewan and anything to do with numbers don't go along very well together.
Yeah, especially the number 12.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Signings today mean nothing towards the cap with the exception of any signing bonuses paid. They can sign a player to a million dollar contract today and it will have no impact on their payroll until he is placed on the active roster for a regular season game. Fans often look only at the additions and forget about the deletions.

2nd string QB Stephen Jyles went to the Bombers. They lost Baggs, Chick and Williams to the NFL. Veterans like Wes Cates, Eddie Davis, Gerran Walker, James Patrick and Marcus Adams have not been re-signed. Scott Schultz retired part way through last season. There's 7 or 8 key starters amongst those who are no longer on their payroll. It's also a false assumption to think all free agents are getting more money. No doubt Andy Fantuz received a healthy raise as did Stu Foord, but I'd be willing to wager Kelly Bates would have to go back a half dozen years to remember the last time he was paid what he signed for in Regina this year.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Big Time
Champion

Hambone wrote:Signings today mean nothing towards the cap with the exception of any signing bonuses paid. They can sign a player to a million dollar contract today and it will have no impact on their payroll until he is placed on the active roster for a regular season game. Fans often look only at the additions and forget about the deletions.

2nd string QB Stephen Jyles went to the Bombers. They lost Baggs, Chick and Williams to the NFL. Veterans like Wes Cates, Eddie Davis, Gerran Walker, James Patrick and Marcus Adams have not been re-signed. Scott Schultz retired part way through last season. There's 7 or 8 key starters amongst those who are no longer on their payroll. It's also a false assumption to think all free agents are getting more money. No doubt Andy Fantuz received a healthy raise as did Stu Foord, but I'd be willing to wager Kelly Bates would have to go back a half dozen years to remember the last time he was paid what he signed for in Regina this year.
Word is that Jason Clermont also took a substantial pay cut to stay with the team.
#1 Lions Fan in SK
Starter

I understand these facts, but considering they went into free agency with 14 or 15 free agents and have re-signed the majority after a record season. BTW, James Patrick and Marcus Adams are re-signed. I also understand the numbers mean nothing until the final roster is set and training camp is finished. The moves and re-signings just seem incredible compared to other teams and the numbers of vets they seem to be bringing into camp. Yes, Jason Clermont took a cut, but who knows how much. I would think Durant, Fantuz, Kornegay, etc. were all looking for substantially more after a very successful season.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

There is also the fact that the Riders make excellent use of the 9 game IR, and that they have no issue going over the SMS Luxury Tax in the past two years.

Other teams should follow that lead, imo. It helps more than hurts to be over $100,000 or so, as they always have been.
Hutch85
All Star

Two words: wheat futures

:wink:
Vern Halen
Champion

Solar Max wrote:There is also the fact that the Riders make excellent use of the 9 game IR, and that they have no issue going over the SMS Luxury Tax in the past two years.

Other teams should follow that lead, imo. It helps more than hurts to be over $100,000 or so, as they always have been.
Care to revise that statement? :wink:

EDIT - oops - you're right LMAO! I, like my team, apparently can't count!
Last edited by Vern Halen on Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vern Halen
Champion

Hutch85 wrote:Two words: wheat futures

:wink:
Naw, man. Lentils are where it's at....
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Vern Halen wrote:
Solar Max wrote:There is also the fact that the Riders make excellent use of the 9 game IR, and that they have no issue going over the SMS Luxury Tax in the past two years.

Care to revise that statement? :wink:

EDIT - oops - you're right LMAO! I, like my team, apparently can't count!
You're welcome to trash me, but like so many others, perhaps it's best to check the facts first. And you did, so I thank you.

Just so you know, I agree with the Riders' strategy here; buying a Grey Cup by being a couple of hundred thousand over is eminently preferable to me than wallowing in 4th place. Once it became clear that the biggest promoters of the SMS Luxury Tax would be its worst offenders, I started realizing that playing by the rules gets one......well....4th place.

Note to David Braley: heed that the Als and Riders, now Bombers have gone over. Two of those won Grey Cups doing so.

/Just sayin'.
Big Time
Champion

Solar Max wrote: Note to David Braley: heed that the Als and Riders, now Bombers have gone over. Two of those won Grey Cups doing so.

/Just sayin'.
Actually, if you're going to criticize those for not doing research, the only team to have exceeded the salary cap and won a Grey Cup* in doing so is the Roughriders. The Als won the Grey Cup in 2009 however they were not in violation of the SMS in 2009, as they were in 2008 (http://www.cfl.ca/article/7-of-8-cfl-te ... salary-cap). It is for this reason that the Al's Grey Cup victory is legitimate, and the Riders is forever tainted and marked with an asterisk.

Just sayin'.
Vern Halen
Champion

Big Time wrote:
Solar Max wrote: Note to David Braley: heed that the Als and Riders, now Bombers have gone over. Two of those won Grey Cups doing so.

/Just sayin'.
Actually, if you're going to criticize those for not doing research, the only team to have exceeded the salary cap and won a Grey Cup* in doing so is the Roughriders. The Als won the Grey Cup in 2009 however they were not in violation of the SMS in 2009, as they were in 2008 (http://www.cfl.ca/article/7-of-8-cfl-te ... salary-cap). It is for this reason that the Al's Grey Cup victory is legitimate, and the Riders is forever tainted and marked with an asterisk.

Just sayin'.
:bang: