Where have those tough Vancouver fans gone?

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Tighthead wrote:In some ways, an extra game isn't that bad. One more chance to develop better chemistry.
Sincerely,
Western Final home losses in 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2005 and 2007 (that's 14 of the last 22 if you're counting)
zark
Champion

Doesn't this Argo guy have anything else to do than hang around our sight? Nothing personal, but don't you have your own problems?...Just wondering...It's just kind of weird to me,IMO...When the Lions win, I hope you go around cheering for them...
Sorry, I just don't get it...Is he a wannabe Lions fan?...
Hey, get a QB why don't ya'.
:tease:
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
Ravi
Legend

zark wrote:Doesn't this Argo guy have anything else to do than hang around our sight? Nothing personal, but don't you have your own problems?...Just wondering...It's just kind of weird to me,IMO...When the Lions win, I hope you go around cheering for them...
Actually, I do tend to cheer for the Lions against everyone but the Argos. The Lions and Argos are now sister franchises of sorts since we are both owned by the same gentleman. As for the QB situation, I think that you guys will soon be helping us out.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

zark wrote:Doesn't this Argo guy have anything else to do than hang around our sight? Nothing personal, but don't you have your own problems?...Just wondering...It's just kind of weird to me,IMO...When the Lions win, I hope you go around cheering for them...
Ravi's a nice guy who has been around here forever. Took him awhile to come around on Braley though.

Incidentally, at what point do you guys jump off the hockey train and start to pay attention to the best damn curlers in the world?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
Ravi's a nice guy who has been around here forever. Took him awhile to come around on Braley though.

Incidentally, at what point do you guys jump off the hockey train and start to pay attention to the best damn curlers in the world?
Been watching for years, Cro. But I'm worried about K-Mart. As well as his rink has played, and they've made some amazing shots while running the table so far, I fear he'll find a way to gas it in the end as he has in the past. He came up six inches heavy on a draw shot for gold against Norway's Pal Trulsen in SLC '02. And I don't know what he was trying to do with his last shot against David Murdoch's Scottish rink at the Worlds last year, after literally throwing away his previous one (as in, deliberately into the boards to give Murdoch a relatively easy tap to lie shot, well protected). Now if the Murdoch rink can come back in this tiebreaker to play Canada again in the semifinal, all bets are off AFAIC.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Lots of room for fans to jump back on now!

GO CANADA GO
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Ravi wrote:I fully expected the Vancouver fans to boo the Canadian Olympic hockey team off of the ice after that loss to the U.S. tonight. Vancouver fans did that back in '72 and woke that listless team up. What has happened to those tough Vancouver fans? Have the Vancouver hockey fans become so accustomed to mediocrity that the lousy performance of this over-hyped Olympic hockey team means nothing to them?
You have to put things into perspective Ravi. I don't know how old you were in 1972 or if you were even born then. Today it's commonly regarded as the greatest series in hockey history but that is the 20/20 hindsight edition. I was in Grade 10 at the time. What many tend to forget is the buildup prior to the series. All across Canada confidence was brimming and I think that premeated from every fan right through to the core of the lineup. Canada was going to take the series 8-0. There was no doubt about that in the minds of Canadian hockey fans. They truly believed that. The only question mark in their minds was how badly they were going to drub the Soviets each night out. Later the players would admit they knew before first period of the first game was over they knew they were in for the battle of their lives and started wishing they'd taken the series a little more seriously during the summer. By the time the puck dropped in Vancouver Team Canada was down 2-1 and considered a national disgrace. Vancouver fans took a lot of heat for the booing that rained down from the rafters of the Pacific Coliseum. Did Team Canada deserve it? Probably not. However I think it's safe to say had the series started in Vancouver with it unfolding as it did with Game 4 being in Montreal then the reaction in Montreal would've been exactly the same if not much, much worse. Vancouver was fairly new to bigtime hockey in 1972. I shudder to think what might've happened in Montreal. Given the history of Montreal's passionate hockey fans a riot down Rue Ste. Catherine wouldn't have been out of the question.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Ravi
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Ravi wrote:I fully expected the Vancouver fans to boo the Canadian Olympic hockey team off of the ice after that loss to the U.S. tonight. Vancouver fans did that back in '72 and woke that listless team up. What has happened to those tough Vancouver fans? Have the Vancouver hockey fans become so accustomed to mediocrity that the lousy performance of this over-hyped Olympic hockey team means nothing to them?
You have to put things into perspective Ravi. I don't know how old you were in 1972 or if you were even born then. Today it's commonly regarded as the greatest series in hockey history but that is the 20/20 hindsight edition. I was in Grade 10 at the time. What many tend to forget is the buildup prior to the series. All across Canada confidence was brimming and I think that premeated from every fan right through to the core of the lineup. Canada was going to take the series 8-0. There was no doubt about that in the minds of Canadian hockey fans. They truly believed that. The only question mark in their minds was how badly they were going to drub the Soviets each night out. Later the players would admit they knew before first period of the first game was over they knew they were in for the battle of their lives and started wishing they'd taken the series a little more seriously during the summer. By the time the puck dropped in Vancouver Team Canada was down 2-1 and considered a national disgrace. Vancouver fans took a lot of heat for the booing that rained down from the rafters of the Pacific Coliseum. Did Team Canada deserve it? Probably not. However I think it's safe to say had the series started in Vancouver with it unfolding as it did with Game 4 being in Montreal then the reaction in Montreal would've been exactly the same if not much, much worse. Vancouver was fairly new to bigtime hockey in 1972. I shudder to think what might've happened in Montreal. Given the history of Montreal's passionate hockey fans a riot down Rue Ste. Catherine wouldn't have been out of the question.
Point taken, Dale. I wasn't even three years old at that time so I don't remember anything about it. All I know is what I have seen via the replays of the games, media reports and that CBC movie that ran about that series not too long ago. :wink:
zark
Champion

Who is this Ravi guy? Is he a troll or what? Can't he ask these questions on an Argo sight? What does he know about BC except the minority who booed, in the '72 series. That's a long time ago.
I don't know this guy...obviously he's older...but...I really don't get his question...I think he's a troll...
Should I teach my kids to boo Canuck teams? What a goof .Am I over reacting?????
Stick your anti- Canadian thoughts to yourself. Or chant USA,USA,USA etc...
Yikes how anti- CaNUCK CAN YOU GET? :tease:

Should I post this? :juggle: Meh! Stick to Argoland.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx