Suitor verses the G man

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ballistic Bob
Legend

I only caught the last 5 minutes of the football hour with Pratt and Suitor. Seems their was fireworks with Suits and the G man . Its being replayed at 5:30. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
LFITQ
Team Captain

I heard Suits rip into the article and Gallagher wasn't there. Then I had to do some work and missed the rest. Hoping to be able to catch it again 5:30 ...
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good for Suitor. :thup:

To H*** with Gallagher. :thdn:

Gallagher is a snippy little weasel who would have a hard time finding his way to the Lions compound in Surrey. I doubt if he could recognize a third of the Lions players or coaches on the street. Gallagher's article showed disrespect for the CFL, which plays a superior brand of football on a smaller financial scale than the NFL or NHL, leagues which Gallagher kisses up to.
Rammer
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:I heard Suits rip into the article and Gallagher wasn't there. Then I had to do some work and missed the rest. Hoping to be able to catch it again 5:30 ...
Suitor seemed to choked up to really respond on air, he mistakenly thought Gallagher called him out on his CFL playing days, then he stammered with the "really" tags vs Wally's "well you know" delay to think of the answer. At any rate, where Suitor really messed up was when Gallagher indicated that the real league was the NFL due to the player salaries. He should have responded with what Gallagher was earning in comparison to a real journalist.

Plus Gallagher said Wally wasn't the greatest CFL Coach ever, that Bud Grant was as he went to the NFL and won a SB.....

Fun stuff, Suitor just took it personally, not that I blame him.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Tighthead
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:Good for Suitor. :thup:

To H*** with Gallagher. :thdn:

Gallagher is a snippy little weasel who would have a hard time finding his way to the Lions compound in Surrey. I doubt if he could recognize a third of the Lions players or coaches on the street. Gallagher's article showed disrespect for the CFL, which plays a superior brand of football on a smaller financial scale than the NFL or NHL, leagues which Gallagher kisses up to.
When does Gallagher kiss up to the NHL? It seems to me like most hockey writers are quick to criticize the league, including Gallagher. He has been steadfast in his criticism of Bettman. He didn't seem to kiss up to Brian Burke either.

I have also never seen anything which amounts to kissing up to the NFL by Gallagher.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

I know Suitor personally so maybe this isn't the right situation for me to be weighing in on, but I by chance caught the last 20 minutes of the Football Hour, heard the whole conversation.

Gallagher is stupid, arrogant and just an idiot. He said we have 8 teams, and one is Hamilton. Well Hamilton happens to be tied for 4th in the league.

He also goes on to say that it's too easy to win with only 8 teams, and that while there are 6 NHL teams in Canada, it's cause of the commissioner.

He did insult Suitor personally IMO, saying "YOUR" CFl numerous times. Give it a listen at 5:20-5:30 because that was interesting...
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Rammer
Team Captain

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:I know Suitor personally so maybe this isn't the right situation for me to be weighing in on, but I by chance caught the last 20 minutes of the Football Hour, heard the whole conversation.

Gallagher is stupid, arrogant and just an idiot. He said we have 8 teams, and one is Hamilton. Well Hamilton happens to be tied for 4th in the league.

He also goes on to say that it's too easy to win with only 8 teams, and that while there are 6 NHL teams in Canada, it's cause of the commissioner.

He did insult Suitor personally IMO, saying "YOUR" CFl numerous times. Give it a listen at 5:20-5:30 because that was interesting...
Suitor took that "your" CFL point personally and Gallagher meant it as in the past that the CFL use to run 2 games in 3 days.

At any rate I thought it went on longer in the first segment, in the 2 - 3 o'clock hour.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:
When does Gallagher kiss up to the NHL? It seems to me like most hockey writers are quick to criticize the league, including Gallagher. He has been steadfast in his criticism of Bettman. He didn't seem to kiss up to Brian Burke either.
True, Gallagher is pretty negative about almost everything.

I didn't find the column to be hugely offensive, but I do think it was a bit out of line for a hockey beat writer to take a shot at the league he doesn't cover. Suitor probably took it so personally because his only championship came as a player on a .500 team who went on a three game winning streak at the right time.

It's not easy to miss the playoffs in the NHL either, but the Canucks have managed to do so often enough in their history. While they may have made it to the Stanley Cup Finals twice (arguably the hardest championship to win), one of those teams was SUB 500 in the regular season and the other team was only 1 game over 500!!
Tighthead
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote:
Tighthead wrote:
True, Gallagher is pretty negative about almost everything.

I didn't find the column to be hugely offensive, but I do think it was a bit out of line for a hockey beat writer to take a shot at the league he doesn't cover. Suitor probably took it so personally because his only championship came as a player on a .500 team who went on a three game winning streak at the right time.

It's not easy to miss the playoffs in the NHL either, but the Canucks have managed to do so often enough in their history. While they may have made it to the Stanley Cup Finals twice (arguably the hardest championship to win), one of those teams was SUB 500 in the regular season and the other team was only 1 game over 500!!
The 16 of 21 was pretty much on par with the CFL percentage, and some truly bad teams made the playoffs. 16 of 30 isn't too bad - the 8 seeds are decentish teams I would say.

The NFL seems to have a decent balance, maybe some decent teams get left out.

6/8 is, on the face, pretty rich. Playing all those games to only eliminate 2 teams seems excessive, but an 8 team league is kind of unique that way. Only taking 4 might eliminate too many teams too early, making lots of late regular season games meaningless.

If anyone wants a jackassed opinion on the CFL, try Dan Russell. The only opinion he has is that eliminating the crossover would make the regular season more exciting, and he will repeat said opinion ad nauseam and sidetrack nearly every CFL discussion down that path.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

No one ever slags the umpteen cups the Habs and Leafs won in a 6 team league. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Tighthead
Legend

Ballistic Bob wrote:No one ever slags the umpteen cups the Habs and Leafs won in a 6 team league. BB
I am a Habs fan and have heard those cups slagged more times than I can count.
Rammer
Team Captain

Ballistic Bob wrote:No one ever slags the umpteen cups the Habs and Leafs won in a 6 team league. BB
Nor should they! :) Well at least the Habs Stanley Cups.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

:whs:
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Oh, and let's not overlook that the Leafs haven't won a Cup since the NHL was a 6 team league.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

OK, so Gallagher's original comment was that if 6 out of 8 teams make the playoffs, then winning a championship is not that hard. Yet in the modern era of the CFL, only the Eskimos have enjoyed a dynasty. The Lions have averaged 1 Grey Cup every ten years and that is pretty much a typical, successful, record.