No Tailgate Parties anymore at the Impark Lot

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Lions ... story.html

B.C. Lions tailgaters are homeless. Again.

The tailgate party — one of football’s most time-honoured traditions — is perilously close to extinction in Vancouver thanks to liability issues and the city’s lack of downtown parking lots.

For years, tailgaters have drifted from lot to lot in search of a permanent home. Last season they set up their grills and coolers in a tiny lot beside the downtown Costco. That space has since been rented to the B.C. Pavilion Corp.

The year before they gathered under the Cambie Street Bridge. Before that they spent some time in an EasyPark lot across from the Shark Club. “We’re hoping to find another lot, but our choices are limited,” said Brian Wawryshyn, who runs bclionsden.ca and organizes tailgate parties.

Even the Lions franchise can’t do much to help. While the club sympathizes with the tailgaters, it doesn’t own the lots around the stadium and can’t control how they are used, said Jamie Cartmell, the Lions’ communications director. The club holds its own pre-game street party on Beatty Street before regular-season home games.

Wawryshyn said tailgaters have been told the parties pose a liability issue because lot owners do not want to be held responsible if something happens on their lots. A massive tailgate party before the 2007 Western Conference Finals left an equally massive mess in the Impark lot under the Cambie Street Bridge.

Last season, the lot was closed to tailgaters, likely at the request of the lot owner, said Wawryshyn. The big tailgate party was an isolated incident fuelled by the antics of rowdy “one-off” fans, he said.

Usually, the Lions fans’ tailgates consist of only 30 to 40 people. “We don’t leave a mess behind. We take all our garbage, all our bottles, cans, everything,” he said.

Wawryshyn met with Impark, which manages lots on behalf of their respective owners, last year to discuss possible solutions. Nothing has come from those talks.

He is especially frustrated by the fact that tailgating is widely accepted in other cities. The Calgary Stampeders for example, run a popular season-pass program for fans who want to tailgate before games. “I don’t understand why it’s such an issue [here].”

Impark said the issue has more to do with a lack of space in Vancouver’s downtown core than anything else.

“When you’ve got a tailgating area, it takes up a number of spaces and it's a very inefficient use of parking,” said Julian Jones, Impark’s vice-president of business development. “Trying to use the primary parking areas for tailgating just doesn’t work.”

Safety issues also arise when there are people milling around and hot barbeques firing in high-density parking lots, he said.

The best hope for tailgaters would be for a private downtown business to step forward and offer up space on game days. Wawryshyn has put a plea for help out on Twitter, but hasn’t gotten any response.

“Everyone’s disappointed,” he said. “It’s a huge part of the game for us. It’s become a tradition and we’ve made a lot of good friends doing it.”
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
kenny
Champion

I guarantee if people wanted to tailgate before a canucks game the Canucks brass would make sure there were a few tailgating lots for fans. Lions don't even get the time of days when they try and work out some sort of plan.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

This is BS. If the city wasn't transforming every usable parking lot into condos this wouldn't be an issue. I don't recall anybody having trouble parking despite the presence of tailgate parties in the past. I didn't have the chane to make it out to many (any?) tailgaters last season and was hoping to rectify that this year because I missed the pre-game banter with everyone. The street party is alright, but I liked the intimate atmosphere you got with the small group of regulars we had better. This city sure does its best to rain on every parade possible.
zark
Champion

A massive tailgate party before the 2007 Western Conference Finals left an equally massive mess in the Impark lot under the Cambie Street Bridge.
It only takes once. . Has that happened in other cities? It sounds like these tailgate parties aren't as well organized as we think. Should have cleaned up.IMO
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

zark wrote:A massive tailgate party before the 2007 Western Conference Finals left an equally massive mess in the Impark lot under the Cambie Street Bridge.
It only takes once. . Has that happened in other cities? It sounds like these tailgate parties aren't as well organized as we think. Should have cleaned up.IMO
You're missing the point Zark. That tailgate was not the regular crowd. The year before was the same thing, so Impark or the lot owner should have been prepared with garbage cans and security. I have personally bagged other peoples garbage and put it on my car during the game and drove home with my windows down taking the smelly garbage with me.

If there is organization and some effort put in by those that have the power that huge mess never would have happened. They had no problem taking everyone's $30.00 that day...they could have suppled a Super Save bin and a few toilets...problem solved,

And YES, in Seattle and Calgary there is some mess, those tailgates are about the sixe of the Western Final one on a WEEKLY basis, but it's still allowed and it's dealt with.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
zark
Champion

OrangeShoes99 wrote:
zark wrote:A massive tailgate party before the 2007 Western Conference Finals left an equally massive mess in the Impark lot under the Cambie Street Bridge.
You're missing the point Zark. That tailgate was not the regular crowd. The year before was the same thing, so Impark or the lot owner should have been prepared with garbage cans and security. I have personally bagged other peoples garbage and put it on my car during the game and drove home with my windows down taking the smelly garbage with me.

If there is organization and some effort put in by those that have the power that huge mess never would have happened. They had no problem taking everyone's $30.00 that day...they could have suppled a Super Save bin and a few toilets...problem solved,

And YES, in Seattle and Calgary there is some mess, those tailgates are about the sixe of the Western Final one on a WEEKLY basis, but it's still allowed and it's dealt with.
In that case, It's not a very well written story. The reporter, in my opinion should have flunked out. What's your next move? Perhaps Rick Cluff would be interested. He's a big Ackles fan and a lions fan.
Groucho Marx
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

The reporter flunked on a few areas. I never said "Rowdy one-off fans" I said one-time fans...

They also make it sound like we think alcohol is more important that parking or safety, which is crap.

But we may as well blow this out of the water now and get it all in the open. Hopefully someone with some power will see it, and be able to help.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

So where do people meet next week? Dix at Six?
zark
Champion

I wasn't kidding about Rick Cluff. CBC morning guy in Vancouver. They love a debate. I don't know how good you are at debating, but give it a shot. The CBC is good at hearing both sides of a story.

We're all meeting at Blue in Bc's place in the meantime.
Groucho Marx
pacific
All Star

Blue In BC wrote:So where do people meet next week? Dix at Six?
That sounds like a good idea.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

pacific wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:So where do people meet next week? Dix at Six?
That sounds like a good idea.
Unless I hear otherwise about where to hook up, that's probably where we'll go.
pacific
All Star

I'll be there.
MacNews
Team Captain

You hit the nail on the head Brian, tail-gaiting is accepted everywhere but in Vancouver. :juggle:
Usually, the Lions fans’ tailgates consist of only 30 to 40 people. “We don’t leave a mess behind. We take all our garbage, all our bottles, cans, everything,” he said
Good job on your quotes in the article, they were concise and got all the key info out.

If only Braley could help us out...
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Just playing devil's advocate a bit here. I only get to a tger or two as I only get down to one or two games. From what I've seen saying there are only 30 or 40 fans tailgating is understating how many do partake in the activity. To me a tailgater is anybody who arrives early then hangs out in the parking lot for a while, even if only to sip on a couple of wobblies. At the Ackles Tribute game last summer I'd estimate there were at least that many just in the Lionbackers group in one corner of the old bus depot lot and a lot of the usual suspects weren't there. Who knows how many more one might come across in other lots scattered around within walking distance of the Dome. A headcount everywhere probably comes out to closer to a few hundred. Let's not forget it wasn't that long ago that it started out with 2. It's inevitable that the numbers would continue to grow and that it's not exclusive to Lionbackers.

There are a few myths surrounding CFL tailgating. Tailgaters, while a U.S. tradition, are not as common in other CFL cities as one might think. There are no tailgaters at Commonwealth as there is very little parking available. I took in 3 games in Regina last year and didn't see much for signs of tailgating there, but they do have an alternative. In the practice field adjacent to the stadium the Riders run a pre-game tailgate party with $5 beers. It's surrounded by fences giving them control points for access. So it's like one big football field sized beer garden. Winnipeg I can't speak for. It's known there is little or no tailgating at Toronto as there is next to nothing for parking near the stadium. But the Argos do run an official pre-game party/tailgater. I suspect Hamilton and Montreal are similar as there is little or nothing for parking lots available near the stadiums. Calgary's tailgating is legendary in terms of CFL tailgating. After that though Vancouver, as small as it is, could be next in size.

Calgary obviously is the grand-daddy of them all and likely started very small just as Vancouver's did. Calgary has also been experiencing a lot of problems and have been struggling to clamp down on them as for many they've transformed from pre-game tailgater to game long party. They are costly for the Stampeders and the City of Calgary. The Stamps lose all kinds of revenue as hundreds of Stamps fans flood out of McMahon at half-time to head for their parking lot coolers. Once they get there many join their buddies who either never bothered entering the stadium or never had a ticket in the first place. A lot of those who duck ouot at halftime stay there. As such it also costs the City considerable dollars as several of Calgary's finest are used to patrol the lots throughout the game and well after it's over.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Great editorial from Bruce Allen today in his daily "Reality Check" on CKNW, very sympathetic to our plight and critical of the greedy lot owners.

Go to CKNW vault here

on left side of homepage, you'll see "Hosts and Shows"
listed 5th is Audio Vault
click on it, and go to the 12:00 minute mark

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar