Good and Bad Historical BC Lions Draft Picks

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:2007 draft picks.

Round Overall Player Position
1 8th: Adam Nicolson, Wide Receiver
2 16th: Josh Bean, Linebacker
3 17th: Tad Crawford, Safety
2 24th: Andre Sadeghian, Running
4 32nd: Andrew Jones, Defensive
5 40th: Kyle Kirkwood, Offensive
6 48th: Nic Edgson, Linebacker

After this 2007 season, let's see how these seven picks turned out.
With the 2007 season almost over, looking back at these draft picks, I would say those that were able to win a spot on the active roster would at least be considered a fair pick.

Adam Nicolson, Wide Receiver - FAIR (active roster)
Josh Bean - Poor
Tad Crawford - FAIR (active roster)
Andre Sadeghian - FAIR (active roster)
Andrew Jones - Poor (developmental roster)
Kyle Kirkwood - Poor
Nic Edgson - Poor

Adam Nicolson has the potential to turn out to be a good draft pick after a few years. There was an article about him today.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/new ... 3e016e9f93

The same goes for Tad Crawford and Andre Sadeghian. I wouldn't classify any of them as good draft picks just yet because none of them will be up for the Rookie of the Year award and produced the same level of quality as other rookies Cam Wake or Cory Rodgers.
Rammer
Team Captain

Let me know how Bean, Kirkwood and Edgson were poor if they didn't come to camp? Crawford is getting more playing time than I can recall a rookie NI DB get within Wally's system, he is going to be a keeper. Also Sadeghian is a keeper as well, you have to wait out two full seasons before you give the thumbs up or down on a selection, especially in BC's system currently.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Let me know how Bean, Kirkwood and Edgson were poor if they didn't come to camp?
They are poor picks in the fact that they were wasted picks.
Crawford is getting more playing time than I can recall a rookie NI DB get within Wally's system, he is going to be a keeper. Also Sadeghian is a keeper as well, you have to wait out two full seasons before you give the thumbs up or down on a selection, especially in BC's system currently.
That's why I said, those three have the potential to become good picks in a few years. But as for now, I'd say they are fair picks. The only way I would say they are good picks now is if they were up for the Rookie of the Year award - like Jason Clermont was in his rookie year.
Rammer
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:
Rammer wrote:Let me know how Bean, Kirkwood and Edgson were poor if they didn't come to camp?
They are poor picks in the fact that they were wasted picks.
Crawford is getting more playing time than I can recall a rookie NI DB get within Wally's system, he is going to be a keeper. Also Sadeghian is a keeper as well, you have to wait out two full seasons before you give the thumbs up or down on a selection, especially in BC's system currently.
That's why I said, those three have the potential to become good picks in a few years. But as for now, I'd say they are fair picks. The only way I would say they are good picks now is if they were up for the Rookie of the Year award - like Jason Clermont was in his rookie year.
Out of the entire league there are likely maximum 4 NI's that attained the RoY award, so I don't think that you can set the bar at that height.

I expect to see a couple of Bean/Kirkwood/Edgson in camp for 08, and will be interested in who sticks around. That is great drafting by the Lions, as they are deep deep deep in NI talent, so take on a draft pick that will surface in the following year or two, IMHO.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Robbie wrote: With the 2007 season almost over, looking back at these draft picks, I would say those that were able to win a spot on the active roster would at least be considered a fair pick.

Adam Nicolson, Wide Receiver - FAIR (active roster)
Josh Bean - Poor
Tad Crawford - FAIR (active roster)
Andre Sadeghian - FAIR (active roster)
Andrew Jones - Poor (developmental roster)
Kyle Kirkwood - Poor
Nic Edgson - Poor
I guess Paris Jackson would be a poor draft pick too because he didn't report to the Lions in his draft year. Good things come to those who wait. You can't judge a draft pick after one year.
chimpy

Didn't the lions draft Mervin Fernandeze ?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

chimpy wrote:Didn't the lions draft Mervin Fernandeze ?
Mervyn Fernandez was an import and therefore was not drafted. He was signed by the Lions after he dropped out of college. 120db would have known that.
Dan Russell
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
chimpy wrote:Didn't the lions draft Mervin Fernandeze ?
Mervyn Fernandez was an import and therefore was not drafted. He was signed by the Lions after he dropped out of college. 120db would have known that.
Chimpy "doesn't" know that thou. Always trying to fool us. :thup:
Lionut
Hall of Famer

Kyle Kirkwood did come to camp, in fact, and blew out his knee. He is still a young guy, though, at 22, and as an offensive lineman he will generally have a longer development timeline than do other players. Guys like Angus Reid and Brian Chiu, for example, had to do some development time before finally becoming prominent starters much later into their 20s. That's pretty par for the course for offensive linemen.

Kirkwood will no doubt be extended an invite to come back to camp in '08, with the likely result being a trip back to the University of Ottawa for his final season of CIS eligibility.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
I_Bleed_Orange
Starter

Robbie wrote: :rockin: :yes: GOOD HISTORICAL BC LIONS DRAFT PICKS 8) :thup:
Paris Jackson (2003)
Jason Clermont (2002)
Brent Johnson (2000)
Ryan Thelwell (1998)
Bret Anderson (1997)
Kelly Lochbaum (1997)
Tom Europe (1993)
Jamie Taras (1987)
Jamie Buis (1983)
Gerald Roper (1982)
Nelson Martin (1981)
Rick Klassen (1981)
Kevin Konar (1980)
Nick Hebler (1970)
Lui Passaglia (1976)
Robbie, I believe that there is a glaring ommission here - Glen Jackson LB (1976 SFU). And, since territorial exemptions are included I think that Jim Mills OL (1983 Hawaii) definitely deserves consideration.

Oh, and what about a guy named Javier Glatt (2003)?
I'm feelin' fine
Sitting in Row A - Sec 39

http://picasaweb.google.com/SayYesToFun
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Robbie wrote:
Robbie wrote:Players drafted in 2006:

Jason Pottinger
Ricky Foley
Steven Valli
John Hameister-Ries
Micheal Lindstrom
Jason Ward

If any one to all six of these players make the roster and play a game this season, then maybe in 7 months time, I can classify them into one of the three categories above.
Revisiting this thread, I'd say so far Jason Pottinger has proved to be a good draft pick.
And we all know that Valli is a "good looking body, a lean body, with a real thick girth to him", at least we are told by Dorazio. He did mention that they were very pleased with his ability to pick up the O-line play.

Foley and Pottinger are already contributing on ST, so it seems to be a good draft
Now that Jason Pottinger is considered expendable with his recent trade, I'd say he was a fair draft pick, but not a good draft pick unlike what I said two years ago.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Big Time
Champion

Drafting is hit and miss but the Lions ability to find diamonds in the rough has been unparalleled in this league. Lion players have won 7 of the last 11 Rookie of the Years. The only other team that has won more than once in that time period is Winnipeg. Since most of these players were not drafted, I'd say that there is some credence to the fact that the draft is not all it's cracked up to be.

# 2008 - Weston Dressler (SB), Saskatchewan Roughriders
# 2007 - Cameron Wake (DE), British Columbia Lions
# 2006 - Aaron Hunt (DT), British Columbia Lions

# 2005 - Gavin Walls (DE), Winnipeg Blue Bombers
# 2004 - Nikolas Lewis (WR), Calgary Stampeders
# 2003 - Frank Cutolo (WR), British Columbia Lions
# 2002 - Jason Clermont (SB), British Columbia Lions*
# 2001 - Barrin Simpson (LB), British Columbia Lions

# 2000 - Albert Johnson III (WR), Winnipeg Blue Bombers
# 1999 - Paul Lacoste (LB), British Columbia Lions
# 1998 - Steve Muhammad (DB), British Columbia Lions

*drafted by the Lions.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFL_Rookie_of_the_Year
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Robbie wrote:Now that Jason Pottinger is considered expendable with his recent trade, I'd say he was a fair draft pick, but not a good draft pick unlike what I said two years ago.
26 years old when the season starts with 51 career games under his belt. He's only just starting to near his prime years. As this was apparently about money and not talent I wouldn't say he was deemed expendable. Buono has to work under an SMS budget which dictates that it's impossible to give everybody what they think they are worth. Ironically the better a team drafts the more likely they will be put into such a position.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Hambone wrote:
danregier wrote:Didn't the canucks draft Pavel Bure? - i know he wasn't in the first round, but should still deserve some metion?
Bure was good sleuthing by the Canucks Chief Scout Mike Penny. He actually wasn't taken until the 6th round #113 overall. It was a controversial pick because the other 20 teams in the 1989 Draft didn't think he was eligible. Needless to say they all cried foul when the Canucks chose him and it was several months after the draft before the NHL finally ruled that he would remain Canuck property. There were some rules in place at that time where no 18 year old could be drafted after the third round unless he had played more than ten games in 2 seasons in a major league. The NHL Media Guide stated that Pavel had only played 5 games the year before, but Penny discovered proofs in the form of scoresheets which had recorded that Pavel had played 11 games in that previous year. At the time of the 1989 Draft the Iron Curtain was still firmly in place. Teams didn't use high draft picks on young Russians at that time because unless they defected there was little hope of seeing them until the Russian Hockey Federation allowed them to leave their programs. The KLM line of Krutov (me like Big Mac), Larionov and Makarov all came across for the 1989 season after long negotiations and big transfer fees. They were all around 30 by that time. Mogilny and Fedorov also joined the NHL in 1989 after defecting.

Actually, the drafting of Pavel Bure came after Igor Larionov got info that he was eligible, not scount penny.
LION82
Rookie

The reason that most were not drafted is because almost all are Americans.
The draft is only for Canadian players.

J
Failing to prepare yourself is preparing yourself to fail.