Lions vs. Stamps Game Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

I thought that might've been it, I remember he went down before. That goal-line stuff was predictable, though, still mad.
zark
Champion

Kudo's to Wally. Buck started the game and it was his to lose. Take note Jarius. They want Buck as the future.He couldn't find his receivers this year...well...you know the rest.
Burris is mediocrity and I just can't cheer for him.

Go Als Go ....and it doesn't sound dirty. AC was great.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I hate jaque chapdalaine.

I just can't stand him. I blame him. My apologies to his family but I f'n hate your son/brother/father.

My pain with you started in '83 and continues even now in 2008.

Will I ever be rid of you?

You piss me off.

Go away.

You're fired.

Wally?
Tighthead
Legend

OV - 54:40 wrote:Lack of diversity can kill you on offence.

IMO - the CFL is in desperate need of some new blood or different outside the homogenous box thinkers in offensive coaching - simpleton, same old offences rule the day - always the same shot-gun look and way too much touch football like see if you can get open pass plays - boring, predictable and lacking in strategy.
The league is like the senior bowl where there is a standard playbook.

Everyone likes to call the NFL the no fun league, but there is more variety and innovation in their offences right now.

I think Wally has defended his offence at times by saying "everyone uses the same package".
Ravi
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
Tighthead wrote:I'm sorry, but Wally is uber conservative at times. He plays not to lose, he doesn't play to win.
Exactly
I agree---drives me NUTZ!!!
When the league was dominated by defence two years ago, it worked for Wally though and the Lions won the Grey Cup. However, playing conservative doesn't work as well now as the league has become more offensive-minded again.
Tighthead
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote:BP played OK. This is a game that a year or two from now we will say gave BP the experience he needs to "take it to the next level". The bottom line is we had some retarded play calling in a few situations. That rests squarely on the shoulders of one Jacques Chapdeline.

Fire The Chap and move on. It's time to get our *poop* together for 2009.
Buck has been around long enough to be experienced.

He has shown us who he is - accurate, but limited by arm strength, short field vision, and holding the ball too long. He struggles in the red zone. What we see is what we get. One touchdown pass in two playoff starts, a weak turnover in clutch time.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Tighthead wrote:

IMO - the CFL is in desperate need of some new blood or different outside the homogenous box thinkers in offensive coaching - simpleton, same old offences rule the day - always the same shot-gun look and way too much touch football like see if you can get open pass plays - boring, predictable and lacking in strategy.

Everyone likes to call the NFL the no fun league, but there is more variety and innovation in their offences right now.

I think Wally has defended his offence at times by saying "everyone uses the same package".
That's a crock of crap. Calgary had the ball in the same spot as we did and they had guys out wide to take our guys out of the box and then Burris rolls out for an easy TD. Chap meanwhile calls a retarded deep handoff while the Stamps have 67 people on the line waiting for Smart. Disgusting lack of creativity and downright lazy friggin' play calling.
Surrey lioness
Starter

Awe. It's been forever since I've been here.

Anyway, all I'm gonna say is.. That would have been uber sweet. Kind of reminds me of one final (I think) at BC place a few years back there was three seconds on the clock, 3rd down and three yards or something and I knew they were going to get it. Wasn't feeling it today.

Oh well, Better luck next year.

*le sigh*

As much as I dislike the Stamps...I'm gonna say it... Congrats to them. But Go Als! haha
Ah! My sister is really going to rub this in when she gets off work.

Time to get back to crying in my beer....
I know I'm not purrfect, but I'm Canadian....which is close enough.
Tighthead
Legend

No Ordinary Joe wrote:
Tighthead wrote:

That's a crock of crap. Calgary had the ball in the same spot as we did and they had guys out wide to take our guys out of the box and then Burris rolls out for an easy TD. Chap meanwhile calls a retarded deep handoff while the Stamps have 67 people on the line waiting for Smart. Disgusting lack of creativity and downright lazy friggin' play calling.
Agreed - and Hufnagel is new/old blood, as is Trestman. Calgary is also the only team with a bona fide TE.
OV - 54:40
Champion

Tighthead wrote:

Yep - exactly - it's a small 8 team league with copy-cat styles & systems - total lack of diversity on offence - not that diversity or imagination has to be featured in football - everybody can run the same basic look i guess; but I love to see diversity and strategy in the game of football - a lot of this is gone from the CFL game now - it is what it is, but doesn't have to be that way - it's decisions by the coaches who draw-up the play-books and call the plays; ain't gonna change with the core of same old good ole boys in control of football decisions around the league. Interesting that Hufnagel & Trestman are the 2 HCs going to the GC this year - not that they really showed anything that much different this year, but even a few new wrinkles or a bit of diversity can help - neither team, however, exactly lit it up with smart offfences to get them to the GC.

There's way more diversity in the NFL game as you point out - but that is in a 32 team league. If you still want to see some diversity in the Canadian game, there is still some to be found in CIS football - the national semis tomorrow will be interesting IMO - teams that haven't played each other all season, and you'll still see at least some strong ground games and not just QB in shot-gun with same old bread & butter passing plays.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

:whs:
Lionheart wrote:I hate jaque chapdalaine.

I just can't stand him. I blame him. My apologies to his family but I f'n hate your son/brother/father.

My pain with you started in '83 and continues even now in 2008.

Will I ever be rid of you?

You piss me off.

Go away.

You're fired.

Wally?
:whs:
Blitz
Team Captain

We scored 3 points in the second half. It took a Banks interception to put us on the one yard line, not our offence and still we couldn't score.

I like Buck at quarterback, especially against zone, because he reads zone well, he goes through his progressions, and he knows how to check down.

Calgary played Buck as I expected they would. They didn't cover Logan with a linebacker on passing downs but with a defensive back. They played press man coverage on our receivers. They kept their linebackers right up at the line to stop Logan..or at least try to.

They dared Buck to beat them deep. In the second half, once you could see Buck was having some struggles at times with that defence. Jarious, who doesn't read zone as well as Buck, would have advantaged us against this defence. Jarious could have bought more time and gone downfield. It was open all game because Calgary had to gamble. You had Simon, Jackson, and Grice-Mullen all in man coverage with no linebacker help. At least I would have put him in the game in the second half and especially on the last play of the game. Jarious can throw it 60-70 yards.

I thought Benevedes called a great game on defence. His only mistake was to go to zone more on one series than he should have. Our defence was great in the playoffs. Banks was outstanding. Wake, Hunt, and Tyrone all played well as did our linebackers for the most part.

However, for all the lobbying by the small group of offensive players to bring Chap back this season as the answer to winning the Grey Cup, he didn't turn out to be the answer. Simon had his first 100 plus playoff game and Grice-Mullen had his first. Logan was outstanding today. However, Murphy got his butt kicked at times. In the game of strategy...Chris Jones plain beat Chapdealine.
He knew what Chap liked to do and how Buck likes to execute. He just couldnt' stop Logan because Logan is so good. I worried that moving Paris Jackson back outside instead of leaving him at slotback would do and Paris was shut out while Clermont was not a big factor.

The fact was that our defence won our game for us against the Riders and our defence gave us another opportunity to win today. Our offence just didn't get it done, especially in the second half. We got away with not scoring touchdowns in the first half against the Riders but we didn't get away with it today. However, with a good second half performance by our offence we still had a chance to win.

As for John Henry's comment about Hufnagel being a rookie coach....well he got it done!! Once again in the playoffs we didn't!
This Leo team was a potential dynasty from 2004 to this year. In five years we got one Grey Cup win and it was a tougher win than it should have been. Lots of victories along the way but teams are most measured by championships. I hope our time hasn't passed.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
hwgill
Legend

I haven't liked Chap as anysort of coach since before they won the 06 GC, seeing him work for the EE last year solidified my feelings about him. I couldn't stand him this year either, and I blame him 100% for the anemic offense of this year.

Even the games that we won handidly, were not well played, the other teams just played alot worse.

Wally, wake up, Chap is a detriment to this team and he HAS to go.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
zark
Champion

AC and Ricky didn,t get where they are now by getting rid of them the 1st time they choke. Buck WILL get better.
Burris on the other hand is mediocrity at its best. You just cant get more mediocre than that and win. Joffrey Who? We'll get better with Buck. Any of this make sense?...I'm a little more pizzled than usual.
Go Als
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
Tighthead
Legend

Right now, Burris is better than Buck, and I have serious concerns about Buck getting much better. This is his fourth season, and frankly I haven't seen much progression in his game from when he played in 2006. I hope I am wrong.

First beer tasting like honey.