RIP: Bob Ackles dead of heart attack

Info and tributes to former Lions who have past away

Moderator: Team Captains

Solar Max
Hall of Famer

wildthing
All Star

Big loss to the Lions the CFL and of course his family and friends.

My condolences to all that knew and cared about Bob
Shaggy
Starter

What a huge loss for the CFL in general and the Lions in particular.

Condolences to the Ackles family and the Lions organization.
LakeLions
Rookie

What a huge loss for the BC Lions, the CFL, and for Vancouver. My thoughts are with his family.
footy
All Star

He was a great man may he always be remembered as one of the best ! Godspeed and to the Ackles family my prayers he was truly a special human being.
lion24
Legend

I am in shock :sigh: .......I was coming here to complain about the Lions play recently and saw this post. I think this sort of shows that there are a lot more important things than wins and losses. With this terrible news the Lions have lost a great person and an integral part of their organization. My thoughts and prayers to the family of Mr. Ackles and the Lion organization on this sad and unfortunate day. Thank you Mr. Ackles for everything you did for our Lions and we will never forget you;RIP
Last edited by lion24 on Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

I'm in shock right now. No words.
tony_montana

This a huge loss for the CFL. Bob Ackles was one of the most important CFL executives in the past decade. He as much as anyone is responsible for the dominance of the Lions in the past 5 years. The CFL has lost an important man. My sympathies to his family and friends, as well as BC Lion fans, and CFL fans.

Today is a sad day.
DerekDD
Starter

i am so sad to hear this. sad for the ackles family. sad for the cfl. sad for lions fans. in many ways bobby ackles was the bc lions and its just so sad. my condolensces to all.
MacNews
Team Captain

I had to re-read that 20 times before I believed it. This is terrible and thoughts and prayers to the Ackles family.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Bob Ackles was an institution in B.C. and a passionate defender of the CFL. My condolences to his family and colleagues. He will be missed.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

oh damn, son of a...

I didnt wanna beleive this. Thought at first it had to be a bad joke, although I wouldnt expect such from SM. Still dont want to beleive it.

First General Hammond, and now this. 60s is still too young to go. Damn shame.

I can just hear the bad taste classless comments that will soon be coming from certain quarters.

What a sad day all round. Much condolances to the Ackles family and friends.

Damn.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
almo89
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:oh damn, son of a...

I didnt wanna beleive this. Thought at first it had to be a bad joke, although I wouldnt expect such from SM. Still dont want to beleive it.

First General Hammond, and now this. 60s is still too young to go. Damn shame.

I can just hear the bad taste classless comments that will soon be coming from certain quarters.

What a sad day all round. Much condolances to the Ackles family and friends.

Damn.
I doubt we'll hear any classless comments. The Lions are a hated team, but fans all over the CFL knew how much Bobby loved the CFL. Just read the Riders forum.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Oh my God, this is terrible news for the Ackles family.

I only ever saw him in person once, last year, at a signing for his book. He was so gregarious in conversation with him, I swear the man couldn't have been more cordial.

This is a tremendous loss for everyone close to him. My condolences to his family, friends, everyone in the Lions organisation and the rest of his colleagues in the football fraternity.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

And to think many of us had met him just a few months ago when he was signing his book at Sports N Stuff and proudly displaying his Grey Cup ring. Unbelievable loss.