Why I'm Not Worried

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

maddeep73
Champion

The top 3 reasons I'm not worried about the loss.

1. We lost this game on the lines, plain and simple. Our offensive line allowed way too much pressure and didn't open holes in the run game. Their line put mad pressure on our Qb's. Our D-line was held to little pressure and they ran with ease on us.
Our lines should be a strength this year (as usual), so in my opinion this way an anomoly.

2. We've started slow before... it's a long season... and it ain't how you start...

3. We looked like a team that had a crappy camp and came out sluggish. Calgary was trying so hard to give that game to us. If this was later in the year, we would have just taken it from them.
Keepin' it real
Odie
Rookie

You know what? That is a good synopsis. The Lions do need some adjustments, especially in the desire and attitude department, but that game still could have been salvaged. We were sloppy, Calgary was on and we got beat. The lions need to gell a little - I expect a much more telling performance next week...
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

maddeep73 wrote:The top 3 reasons I'm not worried about the loss.

1. We lost this game on the lines, plain and simple. Our offensive line allowed way too much pressure and didn't open holes in the run game. Their line put mad pressure on our Qb's. Our D-line was held to little pressure and they ran with ease on us.
Our lines should be a strength this year (as usual), so in my opinion this way an anomoly.

2. We've started slow before... it's a long season... and it ain't how you start...

3. We looked like a team that had a crappy camp and came out sluggish. Calgary was trying so hard to give that game to us. If this was later in the year, we would have just taken it from them.

Good approach. I like the spirit. I was pretty down during/after that performance, but you make some god points. It will be a true test next week.
LFITQ
Team Captain

maddeep73 wrote:The top 3 reasons I'm not worried about the loss.

Solid points and agree with them ... but ....

What has me the most concerned is complete lack of gameplan originality from the get go and once it was realized things weren't working.

On O our Oline was very porous. And because we got behind so quickly, the run game became inconsequential. So the OC keeps calling for playactions. Sorry but Calgary wasn't biting. If the oline is getting rocked, the OC has to come up with some basic plays to counter that. And there are plays that can help a staggered oline. Screens, sweeps, delays etc. All those and more are designed to get a dline to stop pinning their ears back and start to think a bit more which causes delays. None were utilized in the game. Absolutely none. That's not giving your players the plays to help them out.

Over on D we had the same thing with the 3 man rush all the time. Glatt and Floyd were lost as LB out there, so instead of a rotation or different looks, we keep the same plan all through the game.

It was the dogged "stick with the gamelan regardless of outcomes" that had me the most concerned. There was no modifications for the intangibles. And that lies directly with the coach and the coaching staff. Which, thankfully, Wally took the full blame for this AM. So I am looking for those changes for the next game.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote: It was the dogged "stick with the gamelan regardless of outcomes" that had me the most concerned. There was no modifications for the intangibles. And that lies directly with the coach and the coaching staff. Which, thankfully, Wally took the full blame for this AM. So I am looking for those changes for the next game.
I don't think that should surprise any of us given who the de facto OC is; we've seen this "dog with a bone", "it should work, so I'll do it until it DOES work!" attitude from that same person.

That person adapted in 2006, but not in 2007 or 2005. We'll soon see whether he adapts this year.

And Murph and Dean, no offence, but no way Murph should have been in there with 3 practices under his belt and big Walter Stith on the sidelines. Valli on the other hand was outmatched, outmanned, and manhandled. He bore no resemblance whatsoever to the guy who wears 54 in practice; that guy is a stud.
lion24
Legend

I realize that this is only one game but I am concerned about two areas that are supposed to be Lions strength, the D and O-line. It seemed to be like pulling teeth to get a first down while Burris seemed to easily march against our defence. I thought at times last year there was some poor tackling in games and it seemed to be a problem again last night as well as giving up some big plays. I realize that Murphy may not be game ready yet but that was a tough night for the entire O-line. There is a lot of time to improve but that was a garbage game last night and hopefully a wake up call :x
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

It might freak the Wheaties if Lions made some of them fall down now and then.
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

I've had a day to analize the game. Talent wise, we're there but the lack of execution and game day preparations are a question mark for me. We were out hustled and out played on the field. We were BADLY out coached in all areas of the game. We have a new DC who could not make adjustments on the fly to counter the Stamps onslaught last night. Wally was really back peddling on the post game show, fully taking the blame on his shoulders. Let this humiliation be a valuable lesson to all the Leo's and let's come out gunning next week against a weaker foe. No more excuses.
firstdown45

what do the Riders bring to the table?
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

firstdown45 wrote:what do the Riders bring to the table?
A knife, a fork and bad table manners? 8)

They have a secondary that is still a power IMO, a great O line, a very good D line, and a suspect fairly immobile qb. They can be had by a Lions team that comes to play, but not by the team we saw last night.
maddeep73
Champion

I realize that this is only one game but I am concerned about two areas that are supposed to be Lions strength, the D and O-line.

If you reread my original post, this is one reason I'm not worried, these areas ARE strengths and one game does not change this fact.
Keepin' it real
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

They are our strengths, but only when firing on all cylinders.

Rushing 3 on the D-line played right into Cortez's schemes and he punished us.

With Sherko out after the 2nd play and Murph starting on 2 days practice.....that was hardy our #1 unit.

One thing that dos concern me is that once Joe Smith has one average or poor un, we seem to stop going back to him.....and not just for a down or 2, more like a half.

I don't remember fans who get on and off the bandwagon as quickly as fans in BC.....it's only game one folks. And let's not forget, Danny Macchocia and Marcus Crandell are in our division.

The sky ain't falling yet.
Last edited by West Coast Blue Fan on Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:They are our strengths, but only when firing on all cylinders.

Rushing 3 on the D-line played right into Cortez's schemes and he punished us.

With Sherko out after the 2nd play and Murph starting on 2 days practice.....that was hardy our #1 unit.

I don't remember fans who get on and off the bandwagon as quickly as fans in BC.....it's only game one folks. And let's not forget....Danny Macchocia and Marcus Crandell are in our division.

The sky ain't falling yet.
:whs:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Odie wrote:You know what? That is a good synopsis. The Lions do need some adjustments, especially in the desire and attitude department, but that game still could have been salvaged. We were sloppy, Calgary was on and we got beat. The lions need to gell a little - I expect a much more telling performance next week...
:whs: I ALWAYS watch Lions games until the final gun (BC Place or TV). I know its part of CFL football but considering how well Burris seemed to play... I was stunned for how long the Lions were still within striking distance. I also think Buck showed enough as to why Wally gave him the start. JJ had a chance to fill in and didn't take advantage. Friday can't come soon enough. Hopefully, the Buck starts here!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

West Coast Blue Fan wrote: One thing that dos concern me is that once Joe Smith has one average or poor un, we seem to stop going back to him.....and not just for a down or 2, more like a half.
Gee, that sounds familiar