Lions Quiet but Still Dangerous

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

LIONS QUIET…BUT STILL DANGEROUS

JOHN SOKOLOWSKI/CFL

Thursday, February 28, 2008

By Josh Bell-Webster,
Online Editor, CFL.ca

The B.C. Lions off-season has been a relative quiet one in 2008, which is likely a scary proposition for the rest of the CFL.

That’s not to say there hasn’t been any activity. The Lions were faced with the tough decision of releasing veteran quarterback Dave Dickenson, while a trade was made with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers which saw defensive back Sebastian Clovis head east in exchange for former kicker Rob Pikula. Mark Washington has exited the playing field for a coaching role, while defensive coordinator Dave Ritchie has called it a career. He will be replaced by longtime special teams coordinator Mike Benevides. Former offensive coordinator Jacques Chapdelaine has also returned to the Lions as a receivers coach.

Along with some key re-signings (quarterback Jarious Jackson and running back Joe Smith come to mind), it’s about as status quo as you can get in the CFL. After all, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. And save for one West Final, there isn’t a lot to fix with the Lions.

“When we look at it from a players’ perspective, we have an excellent nucleus of not only veteran players, but an excellent nucleus of young players coming up,” said general manager and head coach Wally Buono. “Do we have holes that we want to fill? Yes.”

“We’ve said all along that we are going to fill our holes through our scouting and through our draft. We’re not going to really test the free agent market. We don’t believe that’s the way for us to go.”

As for the changes within the coaching staff, as Buono explains, the Lions are able to be the same yet different at the same time.

“One, there is continuity and I think that is important from the perspective of my working relationship, their working relationship and the players working relationship. But I also think when you look at the flavouring, it’s changed. Therefore the message is going to be slightly different to how it’s being received, how it’s being delivered. Maybe the general philosophy will be slightly different which at the end of the day, you have to learn how to stimulate your team somehow, and it can’t always be through player change.”

With the Lions falling short of their goal in 2007 with a West Final loss to the Saskatchewan Roughriders, there likely won’t be any extra motivation needed when the club hits training camp this spring. But as Buono points out, they had no problems being motivated coming off a Grey Cup championship last season either.

“The football club won 14 games (in 2007), the most of any club in the CFL in the regular season, the most of anybody ever in the history of the B.C. Lions. I don’t believe that motivation was the issue.”

“You also have to give the opponent credit. They played very well (in the West Final), they caused us to do what we normally don’t do which is to turn the ball over, and at the end of the day, the great play of the Roughriders and our inability to keep ball possession was very detrimental.”

“You take all the things and you weigh all the things, and you don’t overreact. You got to say fine, there is a tremendous nucleus there of good players and good coaches. Let’s tinker with it a little bit, but let’s not overreact to what occurred.”

Which makes the Lions just as dangerous in 2008 as they were in 2007.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The Lions have been inactive in the free agent season, by design. The philosophy is to build through the Canadian college draft, and through the team's own recruiting of American football talent (qv. Roy Shivers).

If a team does not draft well, does not recruit well, does not develop players well, does not have an effective team culture, this is not possible. Such teams have to be active in the free agent market.

Buono: “Maybe the general philosophy will be slightly different which at the end of the day, you have to learn how to stimulate your team somehow, and it can’t always be through player change.”

Buono is willing to change the coaching makeup as well as the player roster to keep his team sharp.

Buono: “I don’t believe that motivation was the issue.”

He gives the Riders credit for playing very well in the Western Final, and does not see motivation for the Lions as a problem.

Buono: “You take all the things and you weigh all the things, and you don’t overreact. You got to say fine, there is a tremendous nucleus there of good players and good coaches. Let’s tinker with it a little bit, but let’s not overreact to what occurred.”

Buono will not stay pat with his team, no matter how successful the season was. Some player changes, sometimes coaching changes, whatever it takes.

The Lions are dangerous, and the 2008 season is just around the corner. :beauty:
Last edited by WestCoastJoe on Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ziggy
Legend

I think the Lions are taking the right approach . Last year it came down to coming second in one game. Unfortunately unlike hockey, if you blow one you are toast ,no matter how good you were all season, or if even on the books you should have won. Lets not forget it was a record season for wins regardless of the fact we were without a lot of starters for most of it. We seem to have the talent in place and a long range plan to develop more which I think is both unique and admirable. I would like to see a deep threat added this year, but I don't really think we need a shakeup, we have a pretty darn good crew in place already.
Don Miller
Legend

:rockin: Agreed that we have a very good Team. We need a little more help at middle linebacker and another good rush d lineman. Another deep threat would take a lot of the heat off of Geroy. Our kickoffs could also use more yards. McCallum is a good enough punter and Pikula will push him to be better. For sure the West will be better and you know the evil empire will be improved. I would say the Lions and Calgary again for top spot. I don't think Sask will be up to the challenge of defending GC champs.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show