Airling seating compromise?

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I posted the following on another site and thought, since there are more inteligent posters here than on most sites I post on, I will try to get some opinions here.

I think the correct compromise would be for airlines to provide a certain percentage of extra wide seats for larger people, at same cost. They can fill those seats with "normal" sized people, but only within a certain time before flight take off. I think they can get away with telling larger people that all the larger seats have been taken and they must take a later flight. Also, larger people should at least be willing to accept that they can only get those seats by reservation, or special standby, but that if it is past the time when the seats are released to others, they cannot expect to then bump them.

I am seriously thinking of suggesting this to air canada as a proposal they can refine and put forth to the govt. I think it would be reasonable compromise.

Also, if they have these special seats, then they can have two big seats instead of three in a row, and then lose only one extra seat per 2 large people instead of losing 2 seats per 2 large people

Question: If you were\are a larger person required 2 regular seats, would you accept this compromise?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

I disagree.

However, if asked, it could be considered discriminatory to the person of the larger size being asked straight out, will you require more than 1 seat.

On the flip side, you will get those people, who don't want to sit beside anyone, abusing that priviledge.
giwiens
Starter
Location: you can know where I was or my direction of travel but not both

When I heard about the ruling I started thinking. The biggest factor in getting the airplane off the ground is mass. What would happen if the airlines charged per kilogram. You and all your luggage get placed on the scale and then the appropriate price is charged.

Any thoughts.
Roar Lions Roar
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

giwiens wrote:When I heard about the ruling I started thinking. The biggest factor in getting the airplane off the ground is mass. What would happen if the airlines charged per kilogram. You and all your luggage get placed on the scale and then the appropriate price is charged.

Any thoughts.
No.

You're screwing people who are going away for extended vacations, larger people and those who compulsively overpack.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote:I caught an early morning flight from Calgary to Vancouver where there were less than a dozen people on the plane, and we were all invited to sit in first class/business class (whatever they call it). The seats there are wider, more comfortable, and have more leg room. The way I look at it, if you require more space for your comfort, then you should pay for the better seats. Is that a financial burden? Possibly. But were I the head of Air Canada, I would respectfully suggest that such a person would be more comfortable in first class.
Most airlines (so I'm told by frequent travelers) will offer larger/taller people the option to upgrade for cheap or even free, if the space permits come flight time. It's not something you can always count on, especially if you regularly take prime-time, packed flights... but as with all these other suggestions, the prudent traveler can halp himself by taking a preference for red-eye or mid-week flights, where there's more likely to be space available, and either flip up the armrest on an empty seat, or try for the business/first class upgrade.
If I were so large that I required two seats, I would call the airline before I booked my ticket, and see what arrangements could be made. And I wouldn't be surprised if I were told that the seats on such and such and aircraft were slightly larger (which may reduce the options for my travel plans) or that I was required to pay for an extra ticket, or move to first class. Them's the breaks.
Or again, you could find out if they expect a particular flight to be less full, which could allow you to take two seats without having to pay for the second.
I'm not opposed, in theory, to there being a certain percentage of larger seats on some aircraft to accommodate larger (ie, taller, not just heavier) passengers. But how does one go about administering such a system? Does one buy a ticket and have the stewards shuffle people around? Should one have to give their height and weight, as well as their name and address when we fly? Who will pay for the upgrades to the systems, etc? And what about the inverse position? Should smaller people (children, & those tiny enough to do yoga in an economy class seat) be given less room to accommodate the rest?
Well again, if you, as a traveler, know you have specific special needs, you can plan ahead for that. Most airlines will be accommodating with exit-row or bulkhead seating for taller people or, as we found out when we were new parents, for people with small children (especially children under two years old, for whom you aren't required to purchase an extra seat).

The "secret" is, you have to take responsibility for your own comfort: get to the airport early and reserve the seats you want/need, or do it online, or make use of whatever other services the airline offers in this regard. You can't just show up to the gate at the last minute and expect they'll be holding a bulkhead seat for you - you need to arrive early and take care of it at check-in.

Similarly, IF an airline were to offer a certain percentage of wider seats, it would not be up to them to "administer" their allocation - it would be up to the traveler to book that seat in advance by ASKING for it.
I'm guessing that you were wedged in beside someone on a flight within the last few weeks that was using more than their allotted space. May I suggest you do as I do? It's the only remedy I've found that works: I can suck it up for three hours in an uncomfortable position, and so anywhere between Vancouver-Winnipeg-Los Angeles distance, I fly as cheap as possible. Anything back east (Toronto, New York, etc) means I budget well in advance for first class. I've never regretted the cost.
The problem with that is that once you get used to first class, you may never be able to go back ;)
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
wildthing
All Star

lets be honest, ecery year we see airlines are struggling to actually profit. The profit is largely based on the price per seat model as such to offer less seats at the same price isn't really economical or business sound. There are larger seats available (business and first class) for people willing to pay a premium and that is the way it should remain. It is no offense to any of the larger people out there, it is a business that needs to make some profit. If larger seats are to be offered to the non business.first class passengers, a premium must still be paid. So if a larger seat takes up 1 1/2 spaces the fare should be 1 1/2 times the cost of a regular seat. Is it discriminatory? a little yes, but again these seats are built to accomodate the averaged size person, so if you aren't averaged sized maybe this is some motivation.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

wildthing wrote:lets be honest, ecery year we see airlines are struggling to actually profit. The profit is largely based on the price per seat model as such to offer less seats at the same price isn't really economical or business sound. There are larger seats available (business and first class) for people willing to pay a premium and that is the way it should remain. It is no offense to any of the larger people out there, it is a business that needs to make some profit. If larger seats are to be offered to the non business.first class passengers, a premium must still be paid. So if a larger seat takes up 1 1/2 spaces the fare should be 1 1/2 times the cost of a regular seat. Is it discriminatory? a little yes, but again these seats are built to accomodate the averaged size person, so if you aren't averaged sized maybe this is some motivation.
The bathroom fixture industry evidently isn't providing any motivation.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.