CFL Salary Cap To Rise to 4.2 Million From 4.05 Million

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DerekDD
Starter

http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... &nid=22466

NEW CAP A SIGN OF RESURGENCE: COHON
JOHN WOODS/CANADIAN PRESS

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

CFL’s Salary Expenditure Cap goes up 3.75 per cent from $4.05 to $4.2 million

TORONTO (CFL) -- A 3.75 per cent increase in the Salary Expenditure Cap for 2008 speaks to the Canadian Football League’s resurgence and responsibility, says Commissioner Mark Cohon.

“Our league is moving forward, and the increase in the cap reflects our progress,â€
Rammer
Team Captain

Looks like that should help the Riders out with their current Cap situation....;)
Entertainment value = an all time low
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

While it is only a $150,000, I can't see the merit in increasing the cap at this point. The current cap has only been in place for 1 season. Would the league not be better to wait until it's time to negotiate a new agreement with the CFLPA?

The idea of the cap is to make sure teams can live within their means and still remain competitive. Even if they BOG all agree that the cap was set lower than it needed to be, would it not be in all their interest to live with it for a couple of years? If they bump it up every year how long will it be until some teams can't remain financially stable even with a salary cap in effect. Does any team (other than whoever hosts the Grey Cup) even turn a profit right now?

This makes think that a few governors pressured the commish to up the cap because either they don't want to do what it takes to stay within the old cap, or they wanted a little extra room in order to compete financially with what a option year player may make by taking a shot at the NFL.

So while I question the logic of raising the cap, this might be exactly how we get to re-sign Joe Smith!
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

The increase is just a Cost of Living increase. It's not really an increase per se IMHO.
lion24
Legend

Blue In BC wrote:The increase is just a Cost of Living increase. It's not really an increase per se IMHO.
I agree, it is not going to help any team to sign any significant players. When do we find out who was over the cap, or will we ever hear? I am just concerned that the cap is too small and teams will not be able to keep their group of significant players together for more than a few years!!?? I guess it makes it more even for every team but the fans may suffer from so much player movement.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Regardless of what the cap is increased to, teams still need to operate within a sound business model.

They can't spend more than revenue and expect to survive. So increasing the cap to $5M doesn't mean every team can necessarily afford to spend the cap.

I don't know what team revenues are but not every team is making money every year.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

lion24 wrote: ....When do we find out who was over the cap, or will we ever hear? ...
I want to know too. I think the Lions, Roughriders and another team were audited (injuries are the excuse being used). I think the SMS has already had a big impact. Joeseph showed a lot in the way he handled his cut in pay for cap reasons. I know, he woulda been cut if he hadn't. I am curious as to who exceeded and by how much.....