Als players get input into Popp's future

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

joesports
All Star

Some of the article:
By Herb Zurkowsky,
Montreal Gazette

They don't sign the cheques, but some Alouettes players might have a stake in Jim Popp's future.

Fresh on the heels of Sunday's playoff elimination against

Winnipeg in the East semifinal, The Gazette has learned Als owner Robert Wetenhall wants to talk to several players about the strengths and weaknesses of Popp, the team's general manager and head coach.

Among those who will be asked for their input by Wetenhall - in person or over the phone - are three offensive veterans: slotback Ben Cahoon, centre Bryan Chiu and wide-receiver Kerry Watkins.

"I have not talked to Wetenhall about Popp," said Cahoon, obviously concerned that news of this has leaked out. "I won't discuss this publicly."

The Als had an 8-10 record under Popp during his first full season as coach, finishing third in the East Division. It marked the first time Montreal's had a losing record since returning to the Canadian Football League in 1996. Indeed, the team, which has made it to the Grey Cup four of the last six seasons, hasn't finished this low in the standings since 2001.

Popp has a year left on his coach's contract, with another three seasons as GM. After the Als' 24-22 loss to the Bombers, Popp said he intends to fulfill his commitment and has no intention of resigning as coach.

"Oh really?" Als president Larry Smith said yesterday, sounding surprised.
I don't see the harm in players having input into the decision....not having the final say, just giving their opinions.
I wonder how common this practice is, or if this is really as unusual as it's being made to sound.

It does sound like Popp's future is in doubt, given Smith's quote. :wink:

Full article is at http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... &nid=21442
Big Time
Champion

It makes sense to me that you would consult the leaders on your team for input. What doesn't make sense to me is why they would release this information to the press.

Btw, just watching Popp on the sidelines, not to mention Popp's inflated opinion of how great he is, does he not remind anyone of Johnny Fairplay from Survivor?

Incidentally, I'm of the opinion that Brian Chiu is way overrated as an offensive lineman. Montreal's O-line was absolutely brutal on Sunday and has been eaten alive whenever they have faced the Lions. I wonder if the team might consult other players about the quality of some of their team leaders.
Bosco
Team Captain

Popp's in trouble if one of the three "consultants" is Kerry Watkins. :no: There's no way Watkins is going to give the head coach a glowing review. Popp would probably receive failing grades if the players were also asked to judge Popp's record as a GM in 2007.
Dan Russell
Legend

I am sure Damon Duval will be on Popp's side. :roll: