Crowd noise

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

bcbill1
Rookie

LFITQ wrote:So let me get this straight.

BC's O-linemen are dirty.
BC's Oline coach teaches dirty tactics.
BC's HC is dirty and allows dirty play to happen
BC's owner is dirty and controls the league and the commish
BC Place is dirty because it illegally pumps crowd noise in over the speakers
The CFL timekeepers in BC are dirty and routinely add time to the clock to help the Lions.
Lion82 is dirty because he didn't sign in Regina

What else am I missing?

Sheesh after that list of stuff, Eskies fans are going to be pissed. Compared to the Lions, the "Evil Empire" looks like Gilligan's Island. :lol:
Shame on dirty us, we should not be allowed in the same football league as the holier than thou fans, that are out there. :rotf:
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Well, the Bombers like us! 8)

http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... &nid=20248

Either that or they realize that any trash talk will come back and bite 'em! :roar:
Real women wear orange!!
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

CatsEyes wrote:Well, the Bombers like us! 8)

http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... &nid=20248

Either that or they realize that any trash talk will come back and bite 'em! :roar:
Where's the Pissant?! Is he going to stand being shown up like this?

This just emphasises the Riders complete inferiority complex.
Rammer
Team Captain

Loved that it was pointed out by Canada that Chick's submission to Murphy was an embarrassment to himself, and to have his GM suggest adamantly that it was a choke to his throat, well there is even more embarrassment, IMO.
Entertainment value = an all time low
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Loved that it was pointed out by Canada that Chick's submission to Murphy was an embarrassment to himself, and to have his GM suggest adamantly that it was a choke to his throat, well there is even more embarrassment, IMO.
Very true! Kinda like getting your dad to fight your battles for you. Image
Real women wear orange!!
120dB
Legend

One thing to remember, and confirmed by Al Wilson many years ago, is that the dome acts as a sound reflector focusing the sound onto field level. Al Wilson described it as a "Vacuum", not exactly the correct term, but there is a focusing of the sound from the roof due to its shape.

As loud as it may sound in the stands, it's apparently louder around center field.

The dome's shape is a bit like a parabolic reflector, such as the parabolic mirror in your car headlight, focusing the sound (or light) outward in a straight line. The sound from the crowd reflects up off the field, up into the roof and back down again.

The Kingdome produced that effect also, but the Kingdome's concrete roof reflected sound more readily than BC Place's teflon roof.

The reverb time in the Kingdome was 9 seconds. In BC Place it's 6 seconds. In the Coliseum and GM Place it's 1.5 seconds, which concert promoters really like. Reverb time is the amount of time it takes for a sound, say a cannon going off, to subside to one millionth of its original volume level. A very important characteristic of theatres, concert halls and recording studios.

It must be even louder near each end zone as you're closer to the end zone fans (in a big crowd situation).

Question: Mile High Stadium in Denver if I recall had just one fully enclosed end zone. The new stadium (which I have visited) is fully enclosed, almost a twin of Qwest Field. I remember players playing at the old Mile High remarking it was louder at the fully enclosed end than at the open end.

At Qwest Field the fully enclosed end zone must be louder than at the Hawks Nest end, but I do find the Hawks Nest crowd to be quite wild, similar to what I saw in Oakland!
chimpy

i was once on the field when i was hired by the lions to do some promotinal video work, (i am a videogrpher) back in 1991 it was against edmonton and there was 54,000 in the crowd and when edmonton had the ball, you could not here youself think on the feild in fact my monopod was shacking i had to put an extra weight on it to stop shacking.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

It's amazing how "loud" BC Place apparently is with the fans we've got in there already. I can only think how loud it could be if 2/3rds of the people in the seats weren't sitting on their hands or going for another beer run.
chimpy

yeah i remeber in 1999 at the WF there was only 28,000 but even that was loud. because everybody was into it. if we get 50,000 or more this year i think the heated rival sask are their it is something you are not going to want to miss, it will be loud.
David
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:So let me get this straight.

BC's O-linemen are dirty.
BC's Oline coach teaches dirty tactics.
BC's HC is dirty and allows dirty play to happen
BC's owner is dirty and controls the league and the commish
BC Place is dirty because it illegally pumps crowd noise in over the speakers
The CFL timekeepers in BC are dirty and routinely add time to the clock to help the Lions.
Lion82 is dirty because he didn't sign in Regina

What else am I missing?
Don't forget Lion82 intentionally leg-whipped a Stampeder last year and broke his arm. :roll:

chimpy wrote:hey guy's i have a friend of mine who works at bc place and operating the sound system for lions games and he has told me there is no artifical crowed noise coming through the speakers what so ever, the only thing coming through those speakers is music and the annoucer.
Jenn Graham from the Lions' Game Day Ops confirmed this for us once before when this topic came up.
No Ordinary Joe wrote:It's amazing how "loud" BC Place apparently is with the fans we've got in there already. I can only think how loud it could be if 2/3rds of the people in the seats weren't sitting on their hands or going for another beer run.
I actually think there are a lot of hard-core Lions fans at the games. I think it's higher than 1/3. Problem is, there haven't been many close games at BC Place this year, nor have there been many dramatic storylines leading up to the Game Day (which partially explains our failure to get much more than 33,000 inside B.C. Place).

From my vantage point, the best sections of Lions fans (by my definition, the loudest, have the most fun and have the most seats occupied throughout the game) are: Section 10 (the "cartwheel" section), Section 17 (gotta give you guys props for a very full section), and Section 48 (by "Geroy's Corner" where those whacky guys are all dressed up and banging drums).

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

Just to help confirm David's recollection of GameOps post on here when Ben Cahoon called out the Lions for adding crowd noise over the speakers...
GameOps wrote:CatsEyes, you are right. We do not pump in artificial crowd noise during Lions games. Ever.
The only times that a fan track (cheering, clapping) of that sort is used in our stadium are: a) behind a sponsor video on the big screen and during Lions practices under the dome, usually closer to Playoffs.
I was a little surprised that Ben made that comment, but chalk it up to the frustration of their losing streak and looking for someone to blame. I'll gladly be that person if our Lions keep winning!

Take care,

Jen Graham
joesports
All Star

Rammer wrote:Just to help confirm David's recollection of GameOps post on here when Ben Cahoon called out the Lions for adding crowd noise over the speakers...
GameOps wrote:CatsEyes, you are right. We do not pump in artificial crowd noise during Lions games. Ever.
The only times that a fan track (cheering, clapping) of that sort is used in our stadium are: a) behind a sponsor video on the big screen and during Lions practices under the dome, usually closer to Playoffs.
I was a little surprised that Ben made that comment, but chalk it up to the frustration of their losing streak and looking for someone to blame. I'll gladly be that person if our Lions keep winning!

Take care,

Jen Graham

I knew that we didn't pump in fake noise...can't believe how some myths never die. It's annoying how it's stated as a fact on other teams' fan boards. :roll: At the moment, there is a thread on the Riders site about how to deal with the noise in the Dome since we "cheat" here.
Rammer
Team Captain

joesports wrote:
Rammer wrote:Just to help confirm David's recollection of GameOps post on here when Ben Cahoon called out the Lions for adding crowd noise over the speakers...

Take care,

Jen Graham

I knew that we didn't pump in fake noise...can't believe how some myths never die. It's annoying how it's stated as a fact on other teams' fan boards. :roll: At the moment, there is a thread on the Riders site about how to deal with the noise in the Dome since we "cheat" here.
They will need to know, but won't be able to do anything about it when they come for the WDF. I sometimes prefer to enhance the myth, it is an intimidating factor and another concern for the opposition.
CB123
Legend

Don't most of us know when to be loud and when not to?
If your talking about us on Lionsbackers, thne yes we do.
But if your talking about all our Fans in general... your sadly mistaken...
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
wildthing
All Star

Rammer wrote:
joesports wrote:

They will need to know, but won't be able to do anything about it when they come for the WDF. I sometimes prefer to enhance the myth, it is an intimidating factor and another concern for the opposition.
while I believe that most of the time it isn't happening, the penalties that have happened show it does.

No offence to Ms Graham, but she will deny noise is pumped through the system even if it is, it would be foolish for someone in her position to say otherwise (she'd be out of a job to conffirm that noise was artificially pumped)