Hamilton signs Casey

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Solar Max
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
I guess 120db will be joining the TiCats fan website now. Then he can start a new thread for each and every comment he makes about Casey Printers.
Yup. And now he can rail about selling all 29,000 seats at Ivor Wynn, and get his NOISE! sign under the big DoFasco scoreboard in the North End. His idol Casey did all of that for him. Will Wally clap when he hears that 120 has joined the enemy?

Wonder how he'll like being a fan of a 3-15 team though.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ed Willes recalls some of Casey's comments during the controversial days of the 2005 season.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/ ... c6&k=94831

But know this. As tenuous as the Lions' quarterbacking is right now, Printers isn't coming back to B.C. Not this year. Not next year. Not as long as Buono is calling the shots.

Let us remind you why.

"I will not forget how I was treated this past year as far as people kicking me while I was down. I won't forget how I was toyed with. That will always stick with me."

This was Printers sounding off for, presumably, the final time as he left town in December '05 on his way to the NFL.

This also followed a 12-month period in which he started pouting after he was passed over for the starting assignment in the '04 Grey Cup, pouted because the Lions wouldn't make him the CFL's highest-paid player, pouted because no one believed he was injured, pouted when he was asked to play and pouted when he wasn't asked to play.

You have to admit that's a lot of pouting. It also had a predictable effect on Buono's team.

Look, we have neither the time nor the space to recount the entire soap opera here. Suffice to say, it's all documented and Buono can recall every detail.

Like this one.

"I feel a burning desire to go out and prove my worth because people are doubting me, not only outside these walls but also inside."

This was Printers after he decided a three-year deal worth $1.1 million offered prior to the '05 season was insufficient.

Or this one.

"When you win the MVP award and come back the next year, you should feel like, 'It's my team.' But it's not like that at all."

Like I said earlier, I would have wanted Buono to make a good offer to Casey this off season if it had come to that. But also like I said earlier, signing Casey would have brought problems.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I wonder how 120db is feeling :lol:
I guess 120db will be joining the TiCats fan website now. Then he can start a new thread for each and every comment he makes about Casey Printers.
Guaranteed! :lol:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Blitz
Team Captain

Like I said earlier, I would have wanted Buono to make a good offer to Casey this off season if it had come to that. But also like I said earlier, signing Casey would have brought problems.
The big question though WestCoast Joe, with the comments that Wiles has returned to and you have highlighted.....WHY.....did Buono offer Printers a contract for $425,000 plus incentives after that season when he made those comments????

Why did Wally just say recently that he would be interested in Printers as all eight teams would, suggest that Printers would be better off to wait until the end of the season, and have O'Billovich contact Medlock last Tuesday?

The answer, quite simply, is that he wanted Printers as his starting quarterback at the end of 2005 and he was still interested for next season, comments or no comments.

I'm happy with the way things turned out! Printers was worth considering at the end of this season, depending on how things turned out this year. At the same time, I've always said it would be better for Printers and our Leos if/when he came back to the CFL, to play for another CFL team. I always believed the most likely spot was Toronto and I was wrong!

If we had signed Printers next season I still believe, if Dickenson had been unable to play next year and not here, and players would have played for him but it wouldn't have been an ideal situation. I've supported Printers as a talented quarterback whose style is very suitable for the CFL game and still believe that strongly.

I'm also excited about Buck getting his opportunity in the future. However, quarterback depth is still an important concept and we've been especiallly unfortunate in the injury department with our quarterbacks over recent years.

My hope is that Jarious continues his big improvement and that we can get him signed for next year if that progress continues. It would be a relief to have two quarterbacks with some CFL experience under their belts going into next season if Dickenson can't go. We could go with a developmental quarterback in the third spot or a more experienced one but recent events show that even that third string spot can be very important.

In the meantime Printers going to Hamilton may not be the best situation for Printers, except for the money he's receiving, but it's good for the CFL. That franchise has been down for a lot of years now, needed to create some excitement for the fans and it will also really help not only their own gate but also gates across the league when Printers comes to town!

And when he does, I'll be cheering for our defense to lay some mighty licks on him!!!! :thup: :thup:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
The answer, quite simply, is that he wanted Printers as his starting quarterback at the end of 2005 and he was still interested for next season, comments or no comments.
When a guy has super talent, it seems you have to be prepared to put up with the ego that goes along with it.

With Casey it is a very tricky situation. Nothing seems to come easy for Casey or for the teams he has been associated with.

Bad Kharma? Bad agent? Dunno.

It has made for many tough calls for Buono. It looked like he was willing to go through some of it again with Casey. And I have said I would have supported that, with some misgivings.

The way it has worked out suits me fine. Glad to have Casey back in the CFL. Glad to have him in the East. Very happy with the Lions stable of QBs. Would love to get Dave and Buck back healthy. (I think our Dave D is done; just too many concussions to overcome. Glad he got the Grey Cup win to complete his resume. Now he can prepare long-term to be Governor of Montana after doing some football coaching in the CFL). Buck has the makings of a superb starting QB. Jarious and Gino give us a nice mix of age, some experience and young talent.

And, meantime, good luck, Casey. You will need some. You may have to run for your life in Hamilton.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The Tiger-Cats were quick to put up a player profile of him, although the picture shows him in a Lions jersey. It looks like they will give him his old #1.

http://www.ticats.ca/index.php?module=r ... ros_id=273

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A lot of people are talking about the CFL and Casey Printers instead of hockey which is great :thup:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Printers played some of his best games as a Lion in 2004 against Hamilton.

In the June 18 season opener, he was 22-30 (73.3%) for 360 yards and 3 TDs in 2.5 quarters. Interestingly, that game resulted in a 38-36 Hamilton win, the last time a team from the Eastern time zone won in B.C. Place.

In the Aug. 13 rematch in Hamilton, he set a CFL single-game completion percentage record, going 20-22 (90.9%) for 303 yards and 4 TDs in a 49-11 B.C. win.

I'll bet he lights it up in practice.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Printers played some of his best games as a Lion in 2004 against Hamilton.

In the June 18 season opener, he was 22-30 (73.3%) for 360 yards and 3 TDs in 2.5 quarters. Interestingly, that game resulted in a 38-36 Hamilton win, the last time a team from the Eastern time zone won in B.C. Place.

In the Aug. 13 rematch in Hamilton, he set a CFL single-game completion percentage record, going 20-22 (90.9%) for 303 yards and 4 TDs in a 49-11 B.C. win.

I'll bet he lights it up in practice.
I am pretty sure that the practices won't be where he lights it up, his style is made for game day heroics. Not that I think that he will have many this season with the Hamilton offense.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Blitz wrote:
When a guy has super talent, it seems you have to be prepared to put up with the ego that goes along with it.

With Casey it is a very tricky situation. Nothing seems to come easy for Casey or for the teams he has been associated with.

Bad Kharma? Bad agent? Dunno.

It has made for many tough calls for Buono. It looked like he was willing to go through some of it again with Casey. And I have said I would have supported that, with some misgivings.

The way it has worked out suits me fine. Glad to have Casey back in the CFL. Glad to have him in the East. Very happy with the Lions stable of QBs. Would love to get Dave and Buck back healthy. (I think our Dave D is done; just too many concussions to overcome. Glad he got the Grey Cup win to complete his resume. Now he can prepare long-term to be Governor of Montana after doing some football coaching in the CFL). Buck has the makings of a superb starting QB. Jarious and Gino give us a nice mix of age, some experience and young talent.

And, meantime, good luck, Casey. You will need some. You may have to run for your life in Hamilton.
:thup:

What you just described in forcing Wally to make tough calls in my view is vintage Casey Printers. Who else would go to camp in KC knowing that his coach could care less about him and not foresee being dumped again over draft picks? Who else at QB would think it would be good timing to make a sudden reappearance in the CFL after 9 games in an 18 game season? Casey of course. He has the least strategic advisors and if he attended NFL media boot camp in this past offseason, it is not evident that much of it sticked given his first media conference in Hamilton. He is that guy who wears his emotions on his jersey and who has not demonstrated that he has very much of a strategic, long-term view on his football given his past history. You are right too. I hope he brings some track shoes to that team.

I heard that when Printers was cut that Roy Farmer on the recorded HBO show responded to the chicken salad comment by saying that as a QB that was his job to make chicken salad out of chicken poop and if he did that, he'd be staying not leaving. That is something that a QB is paid to do...make those around him better players. This is no different than the best player on any team like Steve Nash in basketball. His job is to make those around him better, not to try and do it all himself.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy